Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6607 posts
1304 upvotes

Survivor - Game Changers

Season 34 starts tonight
Brace yourselves, Survivor fans, because Game Changers might be the most cutthroat season the game has ever seen.
Kicking off on Wednesday with a two-hour premiere that also marks Survivor's 500th episode, the idea behind Game Changers is self-explanatory: Competing on Season 34 will be 20 repeat contestants who have made (or at least demonstrated a willingness to make) huge moves in their previous outings that... well, changed the game.
"We look for players who understand that the simple math of it is that 19 out of 20 people will lose ... [and] who, despite those odds, are still willing to say, 'Give me the ball. I'll shoot right now. I will shoot, and if I miss, I'm out,'" host Jeff Probst tells TVGuide.com. "There's probably no escaping that this is a tougher season, because there are no gimmes. ... The first couple of episodes are so unnerving and uneven. They're not typical. There's a tension to them, because everybody is looking around going, 'Oh my god ... Who do I align with? Who do I try to get out?' ... It did feel very much to me like an all-star vinyl table at poker, where every single person is capable of running the table, and you have to be willing to go all in. And if you're wrong, you're out."

Per usual, there are a couple of twists thrown in. For starters, a new rule says there will be no re-votes after a tie vote, meaning that players must come to an immediate decision of whom to vote out or face drawing rocks immediately. Heading into his 34th season at the helm, Probst admits: "I've been frustrated with one thing, and that is when tribes split a vote to see if there's an idol, knowing they have enough people that it doesn't cost them anything. The way I look at the show is, every single action should cost you. ... So the idea behind this is, if you want to split the vote, you can. But just know, if there is no idol and there's a tie? You're going to rocks."
There's also a new way of finding the immunity idols - and new locations for the idols - that will likely throw a lot of players for a loop, Probst says. "It's super cool. It's another one of those moments where you're going to go, wow, we've never seen that before," he teases. "There is a common theme now, which is, you're going to have to work to find an idol. Even if you find it, you're going to have to work to get it open. Or if you find it, you're going to have to put it together, [take] some sort of risk that you're doing in public."
But perhaps the biggest twist is just the theme of the season overall, which finds contestants scrambling to find their footing right out of the gate.
"One of the big questions this season is, how do you stand out in a season of 20 standouts? What I saw happening was, early on, if you make a move, you'd better follow through, because somebody else has an arrow pointed at you as well," Probst says. "There are going to be a lot of tribal councils where Survivor fans feel a little bit of a loss - because it's not like a normal season where you may have five favorites. A good 15 of the 20, you're probably going to like a lot, and most of them are going to get voted out."
tv guide: survivor game changers
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
100 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6871 posts
597 upvotes
Victoria
Sounds interesting. The returning players thing got a bit old for a while, but that season (a few seasons back now), the 2nd chance one, that was an insanely good season. Where people changed alliances weekly, and everyone was playing balls to the wall to win. The overwhelming majority of players weren't willing to sit back... it was pretty entertaining.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9426 posts
702 upvotes
I skipped the last few years... don't recognized 80% of them. Sounds interesting. I'll give it a go.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15816 posts
922 upvotes
Woodbridge
Completely forgot about one of my all-time favorite series. :(

Watching in On-Demand right now. I love majority of the Game Changers and the first episode was amazing.

What bothers be is that they never learn. Stop talking, stop taking control of the game in the FIRST day! Ciera not only made that mistake but she couldn't figure out a puzzle for the second time!?! LOL

On to second half...
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
1190 posts
196 upvotes
Can't believe Tony is gone already. Wanted to watch this season for another good scheming season with him in it, way too soon!

Can't stand Sandra. Russell should have won the season they were in it together, but everyone hated him.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15816 posts
922 upvotes
Woodbridge
She likes to call her Queen but like you said she won base on the Jury not seeing a true SURVIVOR!!

I'll get her some credit though Tony brought it to himself as well. Again, way too early to take control and worst show your true self.

I forgot she has a lip as well.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Sep 30, 2001
26061 posts
5205 upvotes
I would have liked to have seen Tony go farther
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6871 posts
597 upvotes
Victoria
I wish Russell had won too.. but twice, not once, but twice with two different juries he didn't win. I think it shows poor gameplay. His strategy was excellent for getting to then, but completely came up short when it game to getting votes. You can lie, cheat, and screw people over, but you have to do it with some class and gamesmanship. If you tear through the game like the worlds biggest a-hole, you're not getting the votes.. lol.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6229 posts
159 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 9:59 pm
She likes to call her Queen but like you said she won base on the Jury not seeing a true SURVIVOR!!

I'll get her some credit though Tony brought it to himself as well. Again, way too early to take control and worst show your true self.

I forgot she has a lip as well.

She is the queen though. If you listen to her speak, she knows exactly what is going on. Thats why she won twice. I remember her one season where she didnt fall for the "grandma story". Tony is just like that guy who made that story up. Thats why he got ate up.

Tony is cool but he isnt in this level. He isnt playing with amateurs anymore.

Sandra is my girl. Her game is just unbelievable.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6607 posts
1304 upvotes
tony used the same strategy he did the season he won. he should have realized the same bag of tricks wouldn't work with this group. he wasn't playing with the same the band of misfits that showed up in his first season. shame he didn't evolve as he was damn entertaining. the showdown between him and sandra was great. hopefully a sign of things to come.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Jul 25, 2013
168 posts
21 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 1:30 pm
tony used the same strategy he did the season he won. he should have realized the same bag of tricks wouldn't work with this group. he wasn't playing with the same the band of misfits that showed up in his first season. shame he didn't evolve as he was damn entertaining. the showdown between him and sandra was great. hopefully a sign of things to come.
Bummer about Tony, he's pure entertainment. I just think there is only one way he wants to play Survivor and that's his way. He was never going to be the guy who just sits back and because of other players knowing how he plays there was no chance he was going to make it far. Was just hoping he would last a bit longer though.

Overall thoughts after first episode. It was good but I still think this season is going to be a bit of a dud after a run of great seasons.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13670 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto
Wow surprised that Tony was voted off.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3442 posts
207 upvotes
I was absolutely thrilled when Ciera got voted off first. I couldn't stand her the last time she was on the show. Best yet, I don't have to hear her lame comments from being on the jury.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel