Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
378 posts
13 upvotes

SUV 7-8 seater

Hi all,

We are considering for our next vehicle and we are looking for a 7-8 seater SUV. We recently bought a house and it's up in the hill hence considering an SUV. Five family members and frequent visits from family members at least twice a year. What would be the ideal vehicle for us. We are looking for a new vehicle and looking for the best 0% financing out there. We try to search the internet and two has come up close to what we are looking. GMC Acadia which is 7-8 seater and more appealing but only 48mos 0% financing vs. Hyundai Veracruz that has i think 84 mos 0% financing. Which of the two would be best value for our money or if there are other cars that we should consider. We haven't test drive both of these cars and would do very soon. Would love to hear any of your experiences or tips of getting our next car. Would appreciate all your input. Thanks.
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5299 posts
910 upvotes
???
desertfox wrote:
Jun 17th, 2011 7:46 am
Hi all,

We are considering for our next vehicle and we are looking for a 7-8 seater SUV. We recently bought a house and it's up in the hill hence considering an SUV. Five family members and frequent visits from family members at least twice a year. What would be the ideal vehicle for us. We are looking for a new vehicle and looking for the best 0% financing out there. We try to search the internet and two has come up close to what we are looking. GMC Acadia which is 7-8 seater and more appealing but only 48mos 0% financing vs. Hyundai Veracruz that has i think 84 mos 0% financing. Which of the two would be best value for our money or if there are other cars that we should consider. We haven't test drive both of these cars and would do very soon. Would love to hear any of your experiences or tips of getting our next car. Would appreciate all your input. Thanks.

0% financing is a shame.

Be damn sure if they aren't making money in the financing department they sure as hell will be making it in the overall sale price of the vehicle.
Mar 14, 2011
363 posts
27 upvotes
The new ford explorer can be had for a little over $31 000 right now. (Employee pricing!!)

It is a totally new vehicle and is better than anything GM has to offer.

---Vishu S.
Apr 27, 2008
194 posts
3 upvotes
The most important thing is to go and test drive these vehicles. You need to think what exactly are the needs of your family and does this particular vehicle fit those requirements. Do you have children who are still in car seats? If so make sure you take the car seats with you so you can see how they fit into the vehicle.

The GMC and the Hyundai would probably work well but I would also consider the Ford Explorer, Ford Flex with the ecoboost engine, dodge Durango, toyota highlander, and the Honda pilot.

Some these will certainly have higher initial costs but may be cheaper to maintain and have a higher resale value. All of these factors should be considered when assessing the total cost of ownership.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7945 posts
338 upvotes
Mercedes GL and Audi Q7, both 7 seaters.
Jan 9, 2010
218 posts
3 upvotes
Honda Pilot is 8 passenger and is a reliable vehicle; the new Dodge Journey is a 7 passenger vehicle and priced under $30k. I wouldn't worry too much about finding 0% financing since "0% Financing" is nothing more than a marketing catchphrase used to lure in new customers. You have to look at the final price of the vehicle after all taxes, interest, etc. are totalled up.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20358 posts
1722 upvotes
Vishu wrote:
Jun 17th, 2011 12:58 pm
The new ford explorer can be had for a little over $31 000 right now. (Employee pricing!!)

It is a totally new vehicle and is better than anything GM has to offer.
Though the vehicle is totally new, the platform isn't--it's simply the second revision to a relatively old Volvo platform. As for being "better than anything GM has to offer", that's a bit of nonsense. The Traverse/Acadia/Enclave is quite comparable offering similar power with similar acceleration and handling figues, while out fuel-economising the Explorer. However the Explorer does offer significantly better braking. The Lambda vehicles are also not short on interior/cargo room.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
3540 posts
115 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 17th, 2011 4:44 pm
Though the vehicle is totally new, the platform isn't--it's simply the second revision to a relatively old Volvo platform. As for being "better than anything GM has to offer", that's a bit of nonsense. The Traverse/Acadia/Enclave is quite comparable offering similar power with similar acceleration and handling figues, while out fuel-economising the Explorer. However the Explorer does offer significantly better braking. The Lambda vehicles are also not short on interior/cargo room.

Explorer appears to be cheaper, and according to the Ford vehicle comparison tool, the fuel economy on the Explorer is better, as well.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
What is this hill you speak of that a mini-van can't make it up? It's dirt/gravel road with pits and potholes?
Mar 14, 2011
363 posts
27 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 17th, 2011 4:44 pm

Have you driven the vehicles you mention? The Explorer and the Gm producst you mention are worlds apart in terms of ride and what they have to offer, but of course, that could very easily be considered my opinion.

As for the platform, the platform in fact is not the Volvo platform but an updated and upgraded version of that. Although the explorer shares its chassis with the new taurus, MKS, MKT and flex, it is heavily modified to allow it to work as an SUV instead of the cars and CUVs mentioned.

---Vishu S.
Jan 20, 2004
608 posts
44 upvotes
Infiniti QX56 if you're looking for a tank.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20358 posts
1722 upvotes
Vishu wrote:
Jun 17th, 2011 5:45 pm
Have you driven the vehicles you mention? The Explorer and the Gm producst you mention are worlds apart in terms of ride and what they have to offer, but of course, that could very easily be considered my opinion.
Admittedly not the Explorer. However I'm curious as to what more the Explorer has to offer (in terms of significant/major features) that isn't available on any of the trio of Lambda products.
Vishu wrote:
As for the platform, the platform in fact is not the Volvo platform but an updated and upgraded version of that.
Yeah that's what I meant by twice revised.

I'm glad they will later offer a 4cyl turbo, but then it seems a bit odd to pair that in a vehicle this large. For the Fiesta/Focus/Fusion and maybe even Taurus that certainly makes sense but for the Explorer? Funny thing is it seems they aren't planning to use this in the Fusion? :confused:
Vishu wrote:
Although the explorer shares its chassis with the new taurus, MKS, MKT and flex, it is heavily modified to allow it to work as an SUV instead of the cars and CUVs mentioned.
I'm not sure it's all that "heavily modified" given they all come out of the Chicago plant. Not much different from the Venza's play on the Camry platform...
Feb 14, 2008
236 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
+1 for the 2011 Ford Explorer.

We went through the same thing as the OP looking for a larger vehicle, but we wern't concerned with having 7-8 seats so had more choices. We checked out the Lincoln MKX, Lexus RX, Caddy SRX, GLK (way too small), and VW Toureg.

We had no plans on buying the Explorer but decided to take it for a ride. We were impressed. It was quiet, the ride was nice, had a half decent interior which was surprising for a Ford, and had plenty of room for our kids. We decided with the Exporer and have been happy with the purchase.

The only improvement they need to make is with the My Ford Touch system, I find the response slow at times. I hear they are working on new software, so I hope that fixes the issue. But overall, it is a great vehicle and something to consider if you are looking for a 7+ seater.

Best of luck in your search!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4454 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Wow... people still buy these behemoths with gas prices the way they are?
× < >