• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 7:31 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote

SUVs suggestions max $20k thank you

Hi,

I do not own a vehicule yet but I discovered the Toyota Venza and it was a positive experience. Since then, I try to find if something is better, but failed. Here are my top criterias in order, sorry for being nitpicky:

Interior: 1. Leather seats cream color 2. Nothing odd or out of proportion 3. Black dash 4. As luxury as I can get for this price 5. A bit of quality material especially where the electronics in the middle 6. something stylish like a shifter in angle like in the Toyota Venza but that is not a priority for the interior just a bonus. 7. Black ground

MPG (miles per gallon): At least in the good average or better

Years: 2014+ but I am willing to go as far as 2010 if the car has the following criteria:

Extremely reliable

Thank you for your suggestions! I would also mention that the Lexus RX 450H is of course the one car competing directly with the Toyota Venza for this thread, and is the only one so far that I would be interested in outside of the Venza because it looks almost identical and seems like a good amount of luxury for the money, but I would need to pick a model from 2010 that is the only drawback.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1089 posts
352 upvotes
2nd gen. Acura RDX.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
Do you actually need any utility? If not, sedans are much cheaper than SUV's so you can get more bang for your buck. For instance, I picked up a 4 year old BMW 3-series with 40k KM on it for $22k with 2 years of extended warranty remaining. An X3 would be $5-10k more.

If you do need utility, how about the Dodge Caravan? They start at $25k new and should be easy to find used under that.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Acura RDX sec gen yes looks like an interesting suggestion thank you.
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:29 pm
Do you actually need any utility? If not, sedans are much cheaper than SUV's so you can get more bang for your buck. For instance, I picked up a 4 year old BMW 3-series with 40k KM on it for $22k with 2 years of extended warranty remaining. An X3 would be $5-10k more.

If you do need utility, how about the Dodge Caravan? They start at $25k new and should be easy to find used under that.
I need decent cargo space to run a business. Nothing super huge though and not really interested in a caravan. I don't think a sedan has enough space for me but I agree the BMW 3-serie has a nice interior, although the steering IMO looks too bulbous and big from the POV I am watching on youtube. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
scar7854 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:00 pm
Acura RDX sec gen yes looks like an interesting suggestion thank you.

I need decent cargo space to run a business. Nothing super huge though and not really interested in a caravan. I don't think a sedan has enough space for me but I agree the BMW 3-serie has a nice interior, although the steering IMO looks too bulbous and big from the POV I am watching on youtube. Thanks!
How about a Jetta SportWagen?

Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6483 posts
2583 upvotes
Kootenays
We've had an '09 Venza since Jan. '10, when we bought it new. It now has 159,000 miles on it and I'm sure I'll get at least another 100,000. It's been a great car for us, very versatile and loads of space. The back seat is huge and that's one of the reasons we bought it, since we have 2 boys and the oldest who was 14 when we bought it was 6'5". If they're not with us and we drop the back seats, there's 70.1 cubic feet of cargo space. Ours is the I4 FWD and our lifetime average mileage is 9.1 L/100 km. I've never felt under powered and we've pushed snow up a mountain with the bumper with proper winter tires.
Aug 17, 2018
95 posts
34 upvotes
Why not see if you can get another Venza? My relative owns one while it being roughly the size of a highlander in dimensions beside the height + having more overall cargo space it was really nice. I'm sure with the venza now DC you can find some decently priced V6 models.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9662 posts
3719 upvotes
Brampton
Lol @ Venza and luxury interior.
It's probably got one of the worst put together Interiors of the Toyota line up in that era.

What it does have going for it tho is that sweet sweet V6 and a huge back seat area, which slightly compromises the trunk. Great for car seats tho.

Basically 2nd gen RDX or older RX350.
Feb 8, 2010
160 posts
107 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:29 pm
Lol... we all wanted something that's not practical. E.g. do you really need a bimmer?

No sarcasm, I myself bought a Mitsubishi lancer as a young guy. Put on those cheap mods. Wasted a bunch of money.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3656 posts
909 upvotes
OP wants a 4 year old Land Rover for $20k.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10708 posts
3649 upvotes
Toronto
Lexus RX 450h looks like a Venza and is $20k?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2433 posts
1260 upvotes
GTA
Venza was a "positive experience" maybe 10 years ago. It was so dated, they stopped making them. It reached top spot in "Ugliest car alive" ranking, back in the day. Great for taxi.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Lexus RX 450H

Toyota Venza

I do not understand why the Venza can be considered ugly and at the same time the Lexus be a top choice in terms of luxury and interior. Venza is as beautiful and a discontinued product do not indicate that a product is bad. It can be the opposite or true. The 2010 Lexus here has a similar price tag than the Venza 2014.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4501 posts
692 upvotes
Montreal
scar7854 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:34 am
Lexus RX 450H

Toyota Venza

I do not understand why the Venza can be considered ugly and at the same time the Lexus be a top choice in terms of luxury and interior. Venza is as beautiful and a discontinued product do not indicate that a product is bad. It can be the opposite or true. The 2010 Lexus here has a similar price tag than the Venza 2014.
Then just get the one you personally like. The Venza doesn't look ugly at all although a bit chubby.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
cn_habs wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:43 am
Then just get the one you personally like. The Venza doesn't look ugly at all although a bit chubby.
Is this car associated with chubby persons? Because for the car itself, I don't see anything out of proportion, it's a SUV of course. And I don't want to defend it because I do not own any car yet, it's just that there is things I do not understand in this thread lol. But yes, let's not go too far in personal taste, as a matter of fact to each his own. But at least I did provide careful details about my criterias so I am still open to any suggestions and thank you all, I at least got one or two good recommendations, so far so good.