• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2018 1:52 pm
Nov 20, 2008
646 posts
132 upvotes
Markham
mebiuspower wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 9:08 pm
Valways, Calways.... are not the same as the Galway.

Both in shape and construction.
Of course, biggest different is the actual captoe on the CS. Nothing is ever going to be identical unless last/construction methods/craftsman, materials and finishing are identical but you can come close. Regardless, not suggesting it's a replacement for actual EG's but for something to act in the interim as you step up the ladder to EG neither Vass nor CS are bad especially for their price.
Nov 24, 2017
41 posts
8 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 7:34 pm
Allan Edmonds park avenue is your best bet everyday shoe

A black cap toe oxford as an everyday, versatile shoe? Seems pretty formal.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19275 posts
7551 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
opekoe wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 9:24 pm
A black cap toe oxford as an everyday, versatile shoe? Seems pretty formal.
What else would go with a suit/business casual/jeans?

Personally I’d wear boots but op doesn’t want boots
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27989 posts
927 upvotes
Dildo, NL
UrbanPoet wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 7:31 pm
....But I have a feeling you guys are trying to entice me into the world of high end fashion.
What I'm really looking for is just one solid set of shoes for work and double for more dressy settings....
lol., indeed they are.

That's quite the drawer @nasa25!! I must show my colleague. You don't have any cedar pouches you throw in the drawer for the courtesy of your neighbours?
20180201_205957_resized.jpg
I got her flats good that week. and yes, she definitely filled all mine the day after LOL.

Keep in mind., these shoes mentioned aren't 'high end'. They're just a touch or two above your everyday run of the mill. High End is more $1500K-$2K++.

I don't think it is possible to buy 'one' shoe.

Really it all depends on what your work environment is & what you *need*.

Even designers change their styles according to the flavour du jour, so a $800 Prada shoe today will not guarantee you it will still be in style in a decade. BTW, the popular 'designer' shoe isn't necessarily a quality shoe either. It's just *made* by a designer. The quality shoes that these folks are talking about aren't your commonly known designers (in that same sense). They are indeed however established and recognized 'quality shoemakers'. Potatoe potatow, just wanted to clarify that.

The whole shoe thing is so subjective, what is classic, black on white wingtip? Loafers? Laced captoe? Split-Toe., etc etc. Brogued half-wingtips. Round Toe, Square toe, Narrow toe? Monks. The sky's the limit. I would offer an opinion that take some time and really look at your wardrobe & what your intended applications are like. I feel like this is a very exciting opportunity for you to explore the shoe world. Have fun! Maybe set a budget haha. or not...it's more fun that way. I still have like 4-6pairs at home I haven't yet opened up. It does get addictive....but OHHHHH soooo satisfying! You may even want to seek the aide of a consultant.

Two points to discuss. The physiology of your sweaty feet. The shitty shoes you've been buying.

The points mentioned about the construction of the cheaper shoes is certainly valid. You can alleviate those buy even looking carefully at the shoe materials. SaksOffFifth has good write-ups and tells you exactly what the shoe is made of. You can find heaps of good quality shoes for 50-70% off easily (land in the $100-$350 range). Full leather sole, Leather upper., etc etc., welted. I like that site because it is Uuuuuuuge and has a good variety to just browse on. Nordstrom also has the same large varieties. Once you narrow down the style & type of shoe you want, then you can narrow into the various sites that specialize more into that particular type & naturally raise the bar on quality.

Don't sell Winners short. I found some gorgeous Chelseas by Lotus, goodyear welted, Full Leather, the most incredible leather sole I've ever seen & it was $69!!!!! lol. It was a heart-breaking size too small for me.,so yes, a Sz 10/10.5 for you. I go 6months before remembering to pop into that place. Once in awhile I'll go in and see some impressive $150-$250-$350 shoes for <$99. Definitely bring in stock that is leagues above their run of the mill crap. Just gotta watch for them.

So that's a touch about the type of shoe you need to start looking at. Do you really need just ONE shoe? We won't get into how much I need, haha...or have.

Now to discuss the physiology. Consider going to a dermatologist. You may simply have localized hyperrrhidosis (sp?)., profuse sweating. Is this a recent discovery? Or long-term? You can get some deodorant stick style application medication that shuts down those glands/pores, prescribed for the stronger ones. That could help. Proper socks definitely impacts temperature of feet. You can also look at using foot powder. Just a sprinkle can help absorb moisture and keep smells under control. Lastly you can always look at buying an insole & if you sweat as much as you claim, you'll want to change those out yearly at the latest. They absorb the majority of the sweat & thus keep your SHOE in much better condition - allowing for longevity.

btw, when you say, can get them resoled for a couple bucks. You're looking at $100+ for a leather resole job., at least. If you get to a stage of a shoe that you'll take to your grave, you may decide that's an acceptable price of having them resoled.

Good luck!
20171022_132105_resized.jpg
bbt in a fun mood + 2 hellspawns.
20171120_172531_resized.jpg
Best Deal out there. six pairs, awesome quality & such fresh aromatic Cedar.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19275 posts
7551 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
@bubble.tea

respect on that boot game
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38916 posts
3360 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Thats still a bit too fancy.
I still wear the same $17.99 iron free h&m dress shirts from when i first started my banking career back in 2006.
My tshirt collection comes from 24 cases of beer.
Mostly shop @ h&m bc its cheap and looks ok. And i have many pants from value village.

Is there anything that is more everyday?
I mean those shoes i admit are very nice. But it has to be something i can wear to work & maybe on weekends. One shoe for everything. Thats how i operate and yes it might not be the most fashionable way to do things, and perhaps even kinda ghetto. But thats just me.
Nov 24, 2017
41 posts
8 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 9:37 pm
What else would go with a suit/business casual/jeans?

Personally I’d wear boots but op doesn’t want boots
A plain toe or semi brogue blucher seems more versatile. But I am still looking for one I like :) Walnut AE boulevards are on my short list.
https://global.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m ... 8&start=36

...but then I never wear suits except to funerals, and then only if I didn't know them that well. :P
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19275 posts
7551 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
opekoe wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:40 am
A plain toe or semi brogue blucher seems more versatile. But I am still looking for one I like :) Walnut AE boulevards are on my short list.
https://global.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m ... 8&start=36

...but then I never wear suits except to funerals, and then only if I didn't know them that well. :P
those are nice. that price is intense but those are nice shoes for sure.
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4548 posts
589 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 10:38 am
One shoe for everything.
That's one way to destroy a nice pair of leather shoes.

How many pairs of socks & underwear do you own & wear?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38916 posts
3360 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
mebiuspower wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:51 am
That's one way to destroy a nice pair of leather shoes.

How many pairs of socks & underwear do you own & wear?
Socks and undies are different. I do own a few dozen of each. But yes. Im a dirty animal who wears the same socks and undies everyday bc i refuse to have a set of 4-5 designer $800 leather shoes.

But from what i gather... bubble teas advice is the best...
I'll shop @ winners.
I'll look for good solid soles
Leather
And buy better breathable moisture wicking socks
Powder/feet products
See a doctor in case its something else

Also to elaborate... you took it wasaay too literslly. everything is just work mon-fri 9-5

Weekends and after work are for my running shoes.

The occassional weekend i might have to dress up a bit.
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Mar 14th, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4548 posts
589 upvotes
^I guess you assume I own 4-5 designer leather shoes, I don't own any actually.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27989 posts
927 upvotes
Dildo, NL
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 9:37 pm
....Personally I’d wear boots but op doesn’t want boots
From a temperature aspect., if "Mr. Banker" whatever that means.... has highly sweaty feet from shoes...boots will only worsen things. Even my ankle boots I find get a lot warmer than shoes.

Dude needs to find MESH footwear LOL.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19275 posts
7551 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
bubble.tea wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:42 pm
From a temperature aspect., if "Mr. Banker" whatever that means.... has highly sweaty feet from shoes...boots will only worsen things. Even my ankle boots I find get a lot warmer than shoes.

Dude needs to find MESH footwear LOL.
true
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27989 posts
927 upvotes
Dildo, NL
baller.

I was shocked when I found a pair of Jo Ghost sexies for $375 and was ACTUALLY considering buying them...but haven't yet. I don't think I could ever break $400....heck as of now I haven't broken $300 on personal dress shoes. For work boots, I broke $300 this past summer - but not really my money so doesn't count. I would just die if I slipped on some sexy $500++ shoes & got in my car and kicked the pedals resulting in a scratch...brutal. How!!!!!??? the trauma!!!

#caseofbeertshirts

lol...OP, you're a character, hehe.