Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto

Sweet beer

I was eating at a university bar last year and tried one of the rotating local brews.

It was very sweet, the exact opposite of guinness is the best way to describe it lol.

Can RFD recommend some sweet beers at LCBO??

thanks
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I always taste honey in Beck's. It is not sweet, but convincing.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
It was probably Fruli, if you can even consider that a beer.
Jun 18, 2008
854 posts
53 upvotes
Molson Canadian
Coors Light
Rickards
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
jayt90 wrote: I always taste honey in Beck's. It is not sweet, but convincing.
Really? I don't pick up on that at all
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Could've been something like Shock Top
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2241 posts
447 upvotes
try a Steigl Raddler or whatever....chicks love them but they're rather light in terms of booze content
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Light Beer != Sweet Beer

Missed the part about it being a local beer. Not sure what that could be.. Amsterdam brewery has some that border on sweet. Maybe KLB Raspberry Wheat? Its not nearly as sweet as Fruli but its in that area.. and it was very fruity too.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
0xffff wrote: Light Beer != Sweet Beer

Missed the part about it being a local beer. Not sure what that could be.. Amsterdam brewery has some that border on sweet. Maybe KLB Raspberry Wheat? Its not nearly as sweet as Fruli but its in that area.. and it was very fruity too.

Amsterdam has a great raspberry beer as well, and it's in a beautiful bottle

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/nbozl3.jpg[/IMG]
Jun 1, 2012
791 posts
51 upvotes
Kunman wrote: I was eating at a university bar last year and tried one of the rotating local brews.

It was very sweet, the exact opposite of guinness is the best way to describe it lol.

thanks
hoegaarden
"Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."—Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc....berry tasting white beer.

You could also just get Rickards white.

They might still have Dieu du Ciel! Rosee D'hibiscus at LCBO
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5134 posts
4928 upvotes
Kunman wrote: I was eating at a university bar last year and tried one of the rotating local brews.

thanks
I'm a bit confused when you reference Guinness in your comment. Was it a dark or a blonde beer you drank at the uni last year?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
Many (but not all) fruit beers. Krieks and framboises (cherry/raspberry) from Liefmans or Morte Subite. Stuff with high malt contents rather than hoppy stuff. Some weiss/wheat beers (Aventinus, Celebrator). Naughty Neighbour from Nickle Brook. Pretty much anything from Innis & Gunn (rum/whiskey barrels, sweet w/vanilla). Young's Chocolate Stout. Any of the Melville brews currently available (strawberry, raspberry, ginger). A lot of the currently available seasonal pumpkin-flavoured brews. Funnel Blower and other coffee-based brews. Cameron's Auburn Ale (local fom Oakville). Dead Guy Ale. Rye-based beers.

There's lots of sweet stuff out there. Broadly they'll be sweet from malt, from fruit, or from other flavourings. You're gonna have to experiment to figure out what kind of sweet you like. And you'll be far more likely to find decent sweet brews in the LCBO rather than the Beer Store.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7180 posts
243 upvotes
Very sweet, and I assume light beer? Might as well stick to coolers.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
this stuff tasted super sweet

Weihenstephaner
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
enigma54 wrote: Trafalgar Brewery in Oakville makes a mead beer which was sweet (mead is honey, water and yeast) and it's available at some lcbo's. It's actually quite good and definitely one of my favourites: http://www.alesandmeads.com/products/de ... ad-Braggot
That's not beer. It's mead. And I hate to have to say it, but hands down, Trafalgar makes some of the worst beers available here in Ontario. They all have some weird funk happening. However, I will concede, I have never tried their mead.

Oddly though, Black Creek, which has a relationship with Trafalgar, actually makes some decent beers and has somehow managed to avoid that brewery's problem.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5134 posts
4928 upvotes
I personally prefer the sweet malty tastes of certain beers as opposed to a bitter hoppy flavour. My all time favourites are Aventinus and Unibroue Trois Pistoles. Aside from these two, for the last few months I've also been continuously rotating between four Ontario brown ales. In no particular order, Muskoka Dark Ale, Amsterdam Nut Brown Ale, Wellington County Dark, and Neustadt 10w30. All these brown ales seem to have subtle taste differences between each other. Other beers on my list which seem to be easy to get either from the LCBO or the Beer Store are Denison’s Weisbier, Fullers ESB, Fullers London Porter, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, Wellington Iron Duke, and Wellington Imperial Russian Stout. A few foreign seasonals that are on the sweet side I normally pick up in winter are Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout, St. Peter’s Winter Ale, and Olvisholt Brugshus Lava Smoked Imperial Stout.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Stryker wrote: I'm a bit confused when you reference Guinness in your comment. Was it a dark or a blonde beer you drank at the uni last year?
It was a joke. Opposite as in sweet oppose to the bitterness of Guinness.

I'm not a alcohol aficionado so the best i can do to describe it is some foam but less then something like a stella, dark, and sweet lol
Stryker wrote: I personally prefer the sweet malty tastes of certain beers as opposed to a bitter hoppy flavour. My all time favourites are Aventinus and Unibroue Trois Pistoles. Aside from these two, for the last few months I've also been continuously rotating between four Ontario brown ales. In no particular order, Muskoka Dark Ale, Amsterdam Nut Brown Ale, Wellington County Dark, and Neustadt 10w30. All these brown ales seem to have subtle taste differences between each other. Other beers on my list which seem to be easy to get either from the LCBO or the Beer Store are Denison’s Weisbier, Fullers ESB, Fullers London Porter, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, Wellington Iron Duke, and Wellington Imperial Russian Stout. A few foreign seasonals that are on the sweet side I normally pick up in winter are Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout, St. Peter’s Winter Ale, and Olvisholt Brugshus Lava Smoked Imperial Stout.
LOL a beer named after engine oil
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1802 posts
370 upvotes
I like Rickards White, most girls make fun of me when I tell them I like it...

OP what Uni did you have the beer at?
Was the beer called "Cool" by any chance?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)