Page 5 of 8

Re: Switch from Fido to Rogers - No Cancellation Fee

Posted: Dec 11th, 2005 1:09 pm
by Keitarokun
so what do u say exactly?
i just called them (fido)
and the rep had no idea what i was talking about..
i told him..maybe u should transfer me to Fido customer relations or a Rogers sales Rep...
the guy is like..er...no...
so what number did u call exactly...
18884813436?
and what did u say exactly?

Posted: Dec 11th, 2005 7:47 pm
by jlo mein
How do you guys get free call display from fido?

I currently have:
$25 Unlimited Incoming
$5 Call ID

With taxes and charges it comes to about $45/month. I have been on monthly for 6 months, and on prepaid for 3 years before that. I have no contract.

I told them that I was going to switch to Telus unless they could make my plan a little cheaper. They told me they couldn't.

What do you guys do to get stuff like free call display?

Posted: Dec 11th, 2005 8:03 pm
by Faeton
Can you stay with the same cell#/SIM card when you switch? Or is it new everything? Technically, it shouldn't be too hard (since that Rogers owns FIDO and the network is pretty much one and the same), but Rogers is probably hardassed about it.

I have a swweeeeet Rogers corporate plan available, but I don't want to lose my current # (had it for 10 years).

Posted: Dec 11th, 2005 8:15 pm
by york_itec
no , you can't keep the #...
Faeton wrote:Can you stay with the same cell#/SIM card when you switch? Or is it new everything? Technically, it shouldn't be too hard (since that Rogers owns FIDO and the network is pretty much one and the same), but Rogers is probably hardassed about it.

I have a swweeeeet Rogers corporate plan available, but I don't want to lose my current # (had it for 10 years).

Posted: Dec 11th, 2005 9:05 pm
by hardcoredummy
lak wrote:Fido and Rogers are using the SAME network! There is absolutely no difference in the reception between the two networks as long as you use a newer 850/1900 GSM phone. There are only billing difference. For the same phone, if there is no reception with Fido, there will be no reception with Rogers as well.
I'm almost 99% positive that you need to pay for the 850 network on Fido.

Posted: Dec 12th, 2005 1:50 pm
by Ctwizzy
how do we do this switch? The reps have no clue, and wont switch me to someone else.

Fido is the devil, I dont care how bad Rogers is, they can not be worse than Fido.

Also would this be possible:

2year contract with fido, switch to a new contract with rogers, new contract says 15days or 30 mins to cancel, then cancel and voila not with any provider?

I would really like to get out of contracts entirely.

Posted: Dec 12th, 2005 6:52 pm
by Keitarokun
is this available only to some part of the country?
bcoz the rep actually helped me phone up customer relations
and even the customer relations told me it isn't possible
i live in the GTA area btw..
anyone?

Posted: Dec 12th, 2005 9:35 pm
by mattm
Stupy76 wrote:I'm happy with Fido, especially since they merged with Rogers - now I get better coverage. I'm on the original CityFido so I'll probably keep this plan for life.
BTW Howard Forums (HoFo)
The merger has sucked.

Voicemail/Caller ID package went up by $2/month.

International roaming inside the USA went up by 150% (from 20 cents per minute to 50) shortly after the merger.

New City Fido users are now restricted to 1500 minutes instead of unlimited usage.

And they charge the system access fee of $6.95 for new city fido subscribers, which used to be included in the price.

Posted: Dec 12th, 2005 9:41 pm
by cheaperplease
Can you get a new phone when you transfer over? If so, I should get a new Fido contract with a phone and then transfer to Roger's immediately after and get another phone. :D

Posted: Dec 12th, 2005 11:54 pm
by djaikon
Keitarokun wrote:is this available only to some part of the country?
bcoz the rep actually helped me phone up customer relations
and even the customer relations told me it isn't possible
i live in the GTA area btw..
anyone?
Well I live in Calgary and I was able to order it. Ordered Friday, came today. I just called the main Fido number and told them I'd like to cancel, then they transferred me to a customer relations person. I then told them I'd like to switch to Rogers and they asked when I'd like my current Fido # to stop working, then transferred me to a Rogers sales rep who took my order for the new rogers phone with the new rogers plan. Hope that sums it up.

Posted: Dec 13th, 2005 5:38 am
by lovefreefood
djaikon wrote:Well I live in Calgary and I was able to order it. Ordered Friday, came today. I just called the main Fido number and told them I'd like to cancel, then they transferred me to a customer relations person. I then told them I'd like to switch to Rogers and they asked when I'd like my current Fido # to stop working, then transferred me to a Rogers sales rep who took my order for the new rogers phone with the new rogers plan. Hope that sums it up.
Are you in a Fido Agreement? If so, how much time did you have left on it? Fido CSR's normally aren't the most friendly or helpful people. Rogers definitely has better CSR's.

Posted: Dec 13th, 2005 9:43 am
by imagine_love
i called fido to try it and unfortunately since i want to go on a corporate plan, they would not waive the cancellation fee for me > :(

Posted: Dec 13th, 2005 7:58 pm
by djaikon
lovefreefood wrote:Are you in a Fido Agreement? If so, how much time did you have left on it? Fido CSR's normally aren't the most friendly or helpful people. Rogers definitely has better CSR's.
I was on a 2 year Fido agreement with one year remaining, on the unlimited incoming calls package. I switched to Rogers with the same plan, only a Razr phone and for 3 years.

Posted: Dec 13th, 2005 8:40 pm
by jm20
orakle22 wrote:Heh, any way i could transfer directly to a rogers retention plan? you know the one i'm talkin about, with the 200 (250?) minutes weekday, unltd. eve/wknd at 6 and caller id for 25? :D
you mean this

Posted: Dec 13th, 2005 8:45 pm
by JT94
I did this back in August of this year.

I had digital cable + Internet with Rogers and signed up on the 15% bundle discount. He had asked if I wanted a cell phone. I had stated that I had been a long-time Fido customer (8 years or so) and had just renewed my contract sometime in May (3 months earlier). He suggested that I move over to Rogers and there would be no penalty. He 3-wayed me with a Fido rep and I had stated I would like to switch, with no penalty. I got a free SE T610 from Fido and Rogers offered the Nokia 3220 for free. Rogers had no clue that I had received a subsidized phone and they even let me sign onto a corporate plan, once I had given him my employee number.

A month goes by and I receive a bill for $200 from Fido. I call Rogers and Fido up. Rogers says to call Fido up. Fido says it's normal and it will be reversed in a month. A month goes by and I still owe the penalty. I call up Fido and they say they have no idea and that Rogers made the offer. I call up Rogers and they think I am lying. I made quite a few calls to Rogers, before they placed a note on the system stating that the topic was not up for discussion. They refused to let me talk to the original rep who gave me the offer, stating that they could not disclose that. A month goes by and Fido's collections department calls. They ask why I refuse to pay one bill in my entire 8 years with them. I explain the story, but they just wanted to know whether I would pay or not. I said I would at the time. I call back Fido and threaten to report them to the BBB. Finally, they take notice and decide to reverse the charges. I don't believe them and report them anyway. I get a call from someone in the Fido executive office who sounded pretty upset that I made the report. She reversed the charges and closed the account. I explained to her the story and she was pretty sympathetic afterwards. She said that it was NOT Rogers' fault and that Fido should have omitted the charges immediately.

The whole ordeal took about 2 months, with 2 days worth of calls. A pretty big hassle, but my credit was not harmed. The BBB even called me to make sure I was happy with the outcome.