• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2012 2:16 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2012
4640 posts
1835 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Royal Bank] Switch to RBC and earn upto 300$ in Giftcards

It’s time to get exactly what you need out of your everyday banking account. Upgrade or switch to RBC VIP Banking® or RBC Signature No Limit Banking® and receive up to 37,500 RBC Rewards® points, which is enough for up to $300 in gift cards!

Also credeit card annual fee rebate upto 170$.

Better than the TD offer??

Ways to get the points

1. Open an RBC VIP Banking account.

2. Open an RBC Visa Infinite‡ Avion card.

3. Open an RBC High Interest eSavings® account.

4. Switch to RBC using CustomSwitch®.

RBC Rewards® Points

RBC link
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/core-accoun ... index.html

Terms and Conditions
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/core-accoun ... tml#dagger
21 replies
Aug 10, 2006
444 posts
58 upvotes
Wpegger wrote:
May 7th, 2012 6:10 pm
It’s time to get exactly what you need out of your everyday banking account. Upgrade or switch to RBC VIP Banking® or RBC Signature No Limit Banking® and receive up to 37,500 RBC Rewards® points, which is enough for up to $300 in gift cards!

Also credeit card annual fee rebate upto 170$.

Better than the TD offer??

Ways to get the points

1. Open an RBC VIP Banking account.

2. Open an RBC Visa Infinite‡ Avion card.

3. Open an RBC High Interest eSavings® account.

4. Switch to RBC using CustomSwitch®.

RBC Rewards® Points

RBC link
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/core-accoun ... index.html

$30 montly fee for the RBC VIP Banking... lots of hidden fees.. TD seems better to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1754 posts
212 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
For me personally TD is a better option for these two reasons:

1) TD is open late. I work weird hours at times and therefore this is important for me.
2) TD has an option where the monthly fee is waived if you have a $5000 minimum balance. RBC doesn't seem to have that option and instead deceives the potential customer by saying "No minimum balance required."
Banned
Mar 7, 2011
65 posts
1 upvote
whatchamacallit wrote:
May 7th, 2012 6:37 pm
For me personally TD is a better option for these two reasons:

1) TD is open late. I work weird hours at times and therefore this is important for me.
2) TD has an option where the monthly fee is waived if you have a $5000 minimum balance. RBC doesn't seem to have that option and instead deceives the potential customer by saying "No minimum balance required."
your monthly fee will be waived if you have a credit card under the account, so for me it is better, do not need to keep a high balance.
Aug 10, 2006
444 posts
58 upvotes
Wpegger wrote:
May 7th, 2012 6:31 pm
Comparison by RBC

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/core-accoun ... thers.html

Any examples of hidden fees?

wih TD, $5000 minimum balance gets the montly fee waived as well as the credit card waived and co-applicant(no limit) atleast two i think. I think RBC only waives one of their credit card. Plus safety desposit box is free with TD minimum balance... not sure getting $300 in GC is worth paying minimum of $360fees annually to do basic banking.
Nov 9, 2005
138 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond
houjiayi1983 wrote:
May 7th, 2012 6:50 pm
your monthly fee will be waived if you have a credit card under the account, so for me it is better, do not need to keep a high balance.

I am planing to go to TD to open the infinite account to get the $150 bonus, but just saw this offer from RBC.
Looks like RBC does not require the $5000 balance to waive the $30 monthly fee, but holding a credit card will waive the fee? I can't find the info there, and is the credit card has a annuel fee?

Also how the RBC points work? $300 gift card sounds better deal!
Jan 16, 2007
26 posts
2 upvotes
My experience being an RBC client has been that they increase the banking rates every 3 years or so.

Imho they provide very categorized service - where the upper echelon get the quality of service advertised - the rest, well... deal with it.

I deal with 2 financial institutions, though I conduct less business with BMO - the quality of service is times better, consistently from branch to branch - well so is RBC's - by providing constant displeasure.

Hope my 2 cents help. (See wot I did there?)
Banned
Mar 7, 2011
65 posts
1 upvote
develop wrote:
May 7th, 2012 7:07 pm
I am planing to go to TD to open the infinite account to get the $150 bonus, but just saw this offer from RBC.
Looks like RBC does not require the $5000 balance to waive the $30 monthly fee, but holding a credit card will waive the fee? I can't find the info there, and is the credit card has a annuel fee?

Also how the RBC points work? $300 gift card sounds better deal!
Depend on the sales maybe. For me I have a TFSA, RESP, esso visa (no monthly fee) and chequing account(like $500 in the account), no monthly fee.
I do not collect RBC point, esso point worth a little bit more and I need it for winter car wash ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1754 posts
212 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
houjiayi1983 wrote:
May 7th, 2012 6:50 pm
Do you have a link to back up your claim that the monthly banking fee is waived for the VIP account with a credit card? All I see is the credit card fee is waived. I think you are referring to some other RBC account, not the VIP one.

In fact, the link below states that you have to have multiple products to reduce the fee from $30 to $22.50:

Code: Select all

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/deposits/vip-banking.html
Navigate to the "Fees" tab to get details.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
2704 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga
This promotion seems awfully troublesome just to get up to $300 (in gift cards...)

I'd only consider going to RBC to set up another savings account, but it doesn't appear that they offer any free ones. From a convenience standpoint, RBC has been putting up a significant amount of ATMs lately, especially in Shoppers Drug Marts and various gas stations.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4396 posts
566 upvotes
tl;dr

UP TO.... What a lame classic attempt
Apr 24, 2012
44 posts
2 upvotes
BURLINGTON
VIP banking can only be reduced to 22.50. You must have a CC, investment (TFSA, RRSP), and a mortgage product to qualify.

FYI, with an Avion Visa, 35,000 points is a flight anywhere in Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3294 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
what a deceptive marketing scam from RBC. you'll eventually pay more than the giftcards.

TD still seems like a better deal imo
Ask me anything about Auto, Home, Business, Commercial or Life Insurance. Or anything about annuities/segregated funds! :D
Dec 13, 2010
568 posts
135 upvotes
ON
Been with RBC for my whole banking lifetime.

Experience has been this.

High quality of service
Top tier technology
Expensive, high fees.
If you have a mortgage with them banking is free.

They fail to compete on their credit card products.
They are ballbusters when trying to deal with them on credit interest rates and I'm personally fed up.

I'm working my way out of the RBC banking world, slowly but surely.
× < >