Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA

Switching from Aerogold to Aerogold Infinite

How do I do this so I get the maximum welcome bonus?

I've read in many cc threads how some people have been able to do this but haven't been able to get a straight answer. Do you just apply for the cc and get the bonus and then cancel the card? Or do you call them and ask them to switch you from one card to another?

I realize this question might be common sense to some of you but to me this is my first time and i don't want to call cibc to risk losing the bonus while inquiring about this, in any way shape or form.

Many thanks.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
actng wrote: How do I do this so I get the maximum welcome bonus?

I've read in many cc threads how some people have been able to do this but haven't been able to get a straight answer. Do you just apply for the cc and get the bonus and then cancel the card? Or do you call them and ask them to switch you from one card to another?

I realize this question might be common sense to some of you but to me this is my first time and i don't want to call cibc to risk losing the bonus while inquiring about this, in any way shape or form.

Many thanks.

no, call CIBC

ask for the switch, and they will do it for you, but they will need to pull your beacon.

don't just cancel and get a new one, you won't get your transactions ported over.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
kingofwale wrote: no, call CIBC

ask for the switch, and they will do it for you, but they will need to pull your beacon.

don't just cancel and get a new one, you won't get your transactions ported over.

will i still get welcome bonus?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3069 posts
7283 upvotes
actng wrote: will i still get welcome bonus?

"Welcome Bonus cannot be combined with any other offer and applies to new, approved primary cardholders only; it may not apply if you convert your existing CIBC credit card, or if your existing CIBC credit card is converted into this card"
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
actng wrote: will i still get welcome bonus?

yes, i have it done once a year, Between aventura and Aeroplan.

just have to talk to them and convince them. LOL
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
cahk wrote: "Welcome Bonus cannot be combined with any other offer and applies to new, approved primary cardholders only; it may not apply if you convert your existing CIBC credit card, or if your existing CIBC credit card is converted into this card"
yes i saw this too. does this mean i should cancel my cibc aerogold first before applying for the infinite to get the welcome bonus? how long to wait before applying?
kingofwale wrote: yes, i have it done once a year, Between aventura and Aeroplan.

just have to talk to them and convince them. LOL

what do you tell theM ? the cibc reps are the most up tight and proud CSRs i've ever dealt with in the industry. they really take pride in their offering and services.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
actng wrote: yes i saw this too. does this mean i should cancel my cibc aerogold first before applying for the infinite to get the welcome bonus? how long to wait before applying?

what do you tell theM ? the cibc reps are the most up tight and proud CSRs i've ever dealt with in the industry. they really take pride in their offering and services.

tell them that you are thinking of switch to Aventura, and ask them if they can help you and get you the welcome bonus point.

works for me. (I had to call twice because I also ask for them to see if they can waive the annual fees). lol

i'm not as good as a friend of mine, who haven't paid for last 6 years.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
i called and they only offered $120 annual fee and 2500 welcome points...
says 15,000 welcome points only for new applicants
i asked if i can cancel and reapply and they said i could but they don't recommend cuz the points and transactions don't transfer over.
else they can do it right away over the phone for 2500 APs

1 888 603 5478 call centre in toronto
7-11 m-f
8-6 sat

he told me to think about it so i guess i will be driving their call volumes this week with multiple calls to see if i can get lucky.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
actng wrote: i called and they only offered $120 annual fee and 2500 welcome points...
says 15,000 welcome points only for new applicants
i asked if i can cancel and reapply and they said i could but they don't recommend cuz the points and transactions don't transfer over.
else they can do it right away over the phone for 2500 APs

1 888 603 5478 call centre in toronto
7-11 m-f
8-6 sat

he told me to think about it so i guess i will be driving their call volumes this week with multiple calls to see if i can get lucky.

points transfer over? that's BS, points are with Aeroplan. :)

transactions most likely not get transfered over.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
kingofwale wrote: points transfer over? that's BS, points are with Aeroplan. :)

transactions most likely not get transfered over.

i don't know what he was saying. something about a new aeroplan points account or something maybe. didn't really want to get into it. kinda lost interest talking to him as soon as he said 2500 APs.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
just called cibc again today and told them AMEX aeroplan platinum is offering $0 annual fee and 25,000 welcome points... after stating i was interested in the infinite aerogold.

they said the annual fee is non negotiable
put me on hold and said even her supervisor can't make an exception it's out of their hands.
offered info to call in again maybe in june / july they might have promotions since they had similar promotions for the past two years in june/july where they waived the annual fee for the first year
told me if i switched i would get 2500 welcome points instead of 15,000.
for me to get 15,000 i would have to apply for a new card and then call in to cancel the old card. apparently i got 15,000 welcome points back in 2002 when i opened the card but i recall only getting 5000.
anyway i guess i will put up with this card for a little longer until june/july to call in.

does anyone know if i will get my annual fee credited when i cancel six months after paying the annual fee?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
1958 posts
582 upvotes
Markham
probably a prorated portion is refunded to you
im about to cancel my aerogold in the next few weeks so i guess i'll know soon enough :P
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
Cerenity wrote: probably a prorated portion is refunded to you
im about to cancel my aerogold in the next few weeks so i guess i'll know soon enough :P

please share results thanks
May 7, 2011
14 posts
2 upvotes
EDMONTON
actng wrote: just called cibc again today and told them AMEX aeroplan platinum is offering $0 annual fee and 25,000 welcome points... after stating i was interested in the infinite aerogold.
I'm guessing you made this up? I've never heard of AMEX offering any of their platinum cards in either the US or Canada with the first year free.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)