• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2009 9:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 9, 2007
62 posts

Switching current license plates to a new vehicle

My previous car died a few weeks ago. I still have the plates from it and they are valid until July.

I've found a new car, so what is the next step? Can I just put the plates from the old car onto the new one? Do I need to pre-switch them at the ministry of transportation to the new vehicle first?

I called my insurance company, and they said as soon as I send them the VIN they can set up insurance so I'll be covered. Is there anything else that needs to be done for this transition?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Bob
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2009
3509 posts
291 upvotes
Caledon
Bob99 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2009 11:28 am
My previous car died a few weeks ago. I still have the plates from it and they are valid until July.

I've found a new car, so what is the next step? Can I just put the plates from the old car onto the new one? Do I need to pre-switch them at the ministry of transportation to the new vehicle first?

I called my insurance company, and they said as soon as I send them the VIN they can set up insurance so I'll be covered. Is there anything else that needs to be done for this transition?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Bob
You need the plate portion of the ownership for the old plates, if you don't have it, you can apply for a lost. You'll need the vehicle portion of the new car filled with your info, insurance, DL, safety check and e test. Take it all the to ministry and they'll issue a new ownership in your name.
How did you get this vehicle? If you bought it privately, you'll need to pay GST on it at the ministry.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1146 posts
35 upvotes
Is this a dealership car or private sale?

If it's dealership, like above poster said they should be able to help you out.

If it's private sale you have to go to your local Vehicle and Licensing office and transfer them there. You have to show a safety, emissions, ownership and proof of insurance. I think the fee is $10 + 8% tax on its average wholesale price or purchase price, whichever is higher (UVIP will tell you what this is).
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
[OP]
Jul 9, 2007
62 posts
It's a private sale, so I guess I'll need to go get it e-tested. Does this e-testing need to happen even if the vehicle is already approved? Or does my new ownership cancel out any previous safety / e-testing?

I'll call the insurance company, maybe they can fax or e-mail me the proof of insurance to bring in.

As far as the safety goes, is that an actual government form, or just some sort of letter from a mechanic?

Thanks,

Bob
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20267 posts
1679 upvotes
Yeah you can switch them at the Ministry and you should do so before putting the plates on the vehicle--driving with wrong plates on a vehicle is a no-no.

You only save like $10 or $20 or something v. getting new plates though, so if your old plates are in poor condition you might want to get new plates just for aesthetic reasons. The remaining months on your plate sticker can also be transferred or refunded if you are switching plates...
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1146 posts
35 upvotes
Emissions; Emission is good for 1 year from it's test date in the regards of selling a vehicle. Does he not have the paperwork? Have him call Drive Clean with the VIN and double check. Personally you should have them e-test the car and just work it into the negotiated price ($50 at most places). If the emission has expired then yes you need to have it done before going to the Licensing office.

Safety; You have to get this done at a local mechanic shop, usually runs about $80. Again I would have the current owner do this and work it into the negotiated price, unless this is an as-is sale. If so BEWARE, this usually means something is wrong with the car that needs to be fixed before a mechanic will sign off on it. A safety is valid for 36 days.

Insurance; Most companies want 1 day notice before putting insurance on a vehicle. They should be able to e-mail you temporary documents you can print and show to the Licensing office.
Bob99 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2009 11:38 am
It's a private sale, so I guess I'll need to go get it e-tested. Does this e-testing need to happen even if the vehicle is already approved? Or does my new ownership cancel out any previous safety / e-testing?

I'll call the insurance company, maybe they can fax or e-mail me the proof of insurance to bring in.

As far as the safety goes, is that an actual government form, or just some sort of letter from a mechanic?

Thanks,

Bob
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
Mar 24, 2008
130 posts
6 upvotes
Halifax
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 4th, 2009 11:50 am
Yeah you can switch them at the Ministry and you should do so before putting the plates on the vehicle--driving with wrong plates on a vehicle is a no-no.
Actually, there's a six-day grace period during which you can use your old license plates on a car you just bought, as long as:

1. The license plates have a valid sticker; and
2. You carry with you:
- the vehicle portion of the permit for the car you just bought;
- the plate portion of the permit for the plates you're using; and
- a valid safety certificate for the vehicle.

This would allow you to do things like go and pick up the car, take it for an e-test (it would already have to be safetied), and then take it to the MTO to do the official paperwork.

Here are a couple of web sites that go into detail on the steps each party needs to perform:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... used.shtml
http://www.ontariolicences.com/saleveh1.htm
May 17, 2009
241 posts
7 upvotes
PETERBOROUGH
kavatski wrote:
Jun 4th, 2009 3:05 pm
Actually, there's a six-day grace period during which you can use your old license plates on a car you just bought, as long as:

2. You carry with you:

Are you sure about this?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11198 posts
1420 upvotes
exploreanu wrote:
Jun 13th, 2009 6:25 pm
kavatski wrote:
Jun 4th, 2009 3:05 pm

2. You carry with you:
Are you sure about this?
+1, you can just put the old plates on the new car if you have all of the above then you have 6 days to do the official transfer at an MTO office. As well, there's also a grace period for the insurance card as well. You can use the insurance card from the old car if it's still valid.
× < >