• Oct 13th, 2017 2:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3438 posts
440 upvotes
Ontario

Switching from Koodo to public mobile

Hi there, I'm thinking of switching my partner from Koodo to public mobile because the same plan unlimited canada-wide calling and 3 gigs of data is $8 a month less at public mobile. Do I need to know anything before I switch, what sort of differences should I expect? I understand they are both the same network but I just want to know if there's anything I am missing before I go out and get a SIM card. Ontario resident by the way
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3117 posts
532 upvotes
GTA
You don't get phone support with Public Mobile and any support is done through their community driven message board.
Public Mobile is pre-paid while Koodo is post-paid. So, you pre-pay for 90 days of service with PM while you pay month-to-month on Koodo.

I calculated your proposed plan and it comes out to about $62.15 per month. Are you sure your calculating your cost properly?

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3764 posts
647 upvotes
Brampton ON
Slawek wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:29 pm
Hi there, I'm thinking of switching my partner from Koodo to public mobile because the same plan unlimited canada-wide calling and 3 gigs of data is $8 a month less at public mobile. Do I need to know anything before I switch, what sort of differences should I expect? I understand they are both the same network but I just want to know if there's anything I am missing before I go out and get a SIM card. Ontario resident by the way
Koodo has a number to call.
PM doesn't have any number to call.
Thank you for your generosity EY CG LJ
Shaw - Freedom Mobile
Virgin Mobile

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3438 posts
440 upvotes
Ontario
Yeah, it's $65 a month at Koodo, and $57 a month at PM, plus taxes. I chose the 30 day cycle, not 90 days.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3746 posts
338 upvotes
Cellular towers are the same?
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
May 5, 2008
982 posts
226 upvotes
Max_Dealing wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:06 pm
Cellular towers are the same?
One difference the OP should be aware of, is a seeming absence of the "EXT network" with PM
as opposed to Koodo ( EXT network is kind of implicit roaming on Rogers wherever Bellus is not available).
Depending on where yo live it may or may not be important.

Another thing, of course, is that it is much better to have a 90-days plan with PM, just because of flexibility in using your data
(e.g. you may need and increased consumption in one month, and then dial it down in the following one).
Aug 17, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
On a 30 day plan, with unlimited canada wide and unlimted text with the 3G of LTE data, it comes to $57, sign up for autopay, and its down to $55, and if you help out in the community you can lower it even more.
Same situation applies to the 90 day plan (unlimited canada wide, unlimited text, 9GB of data) $55. Auto pay brings it down to $53.

Customer support in the community can be fast most days, just expect a delay if you have an issue during a big promo period. Reception will be the same as Koodo (I came from Koodo before moving to PM), and I've had no issues, for almost a year now. I joined last November