• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 5:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes

Switching to a Mirrorless?

I will make this quick. Years ago I bought a Canon XS DSLR. Yes, I know it is old and outdated.

It has served me well, but I think it is time to change..

Typically I take photos of my kids around the house, at sporting events, on vacations, etc.

The lenses I use the most are my 50mm f1.8 and my Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

The reason I am looking at a mirrorless is the overall size of the camera, the ability to change lenses, and the ability to take video (my XS doesn't do video).

I was looking at the Sony A5000 or A6000. Obviously there is a price difference, so it depends on what I can find them for $$$$. I don't have a solid budget, but the A5000 is probably closer to what I am willing (allowed) to spend - unless I can find an open box deal or something on a A6000.

What are your thoughts? suggestion? different brand?
56 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10729 posts
1740 upvotes
Ottawa
Easto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 4:20 pm
I will make this quick. Years ago I bought a Canon XS DSLR. Yes, I know it is old and outdated.

Typically I take photos of my kids around the house, at sporting events, on vacations, etc.

The reason I am looking at a mirrorless is the overall size of the camera, the ability to change lenses, and the ability to take video (my XS doesn't do video).

I was looking at the Sony A5000 or A6000. Obviously there is a price difference, so it depends on what I can find them for $$$$. I don't have a solid budget, but the A5000 is probably closer to what I am willing (allowed) to spend - unless I can find an open box deal or something on a A6000.

Try to make the jump to the A5100 at least. That is basically a simpler A6000 (same sensor, but no EVF, but has touchscreen)

The A5100 and A6000 have hybrid focus which is way better at focusing on moving objects. Highly desirable.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Nov 30, 2015
159 posts
61 upvotes
GTA, ON
Easto wrote:
...the ability to change lenses,...
I had that in mind too when I bought my A6000. But after so many months I'm still just using the kit lens. And that's ok for my needs so far. It seems Sony lens selection is limited and very pricey compared to what's available for Fuji and Olympus. My suggestion is to check out the lens you would like for the three brands before making a decision.
Oct 19, 2012
119 posts
43 upvotes
Montr
If you're coming from a DSLR and require control I wouldn't go below an a6000, the a5000 line is closer to point and shoot cameras.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
anything less than a5100 is a waste of money if you already have a camera.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote:

Would definitely go for the A6000, if you must move to mirrorless. But you have some nice Canon glass. Glass >>> Camera Body

You might wanna consider an upgrade to a T2i /T3i, which would only cost you about $200 in the used market, if you know how to bargain.. You will have useable ISO up to 3200 (compared to the 800 that your XS can do). Way better resolution and dynamic range. Canon Rebels have been used for professional video all over the place, with Magic Lantern and an External mic. But not quite as easy as the A6000 with its fully automatic video focus.

You can sell your XS Body for $75ish. So your net upgrade cost will be $125. Sony A6000 with equivalent to your lenses will cost at least $1000 to $1500. To replace your 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 with equivalent Sony lenses will cost a fair bit more of money, since Sony lenses are inferior to Canon / Nikon, as well as more expensive. You will take a bath selling your Canon lenses and switching systems.

Used properly, a Canon T2i or better with the nice glass you have will destroy anything that the A6000 with its kit lens can produce. You might wanna just consider keeping your Canon setup as is (it's nice), and buying an A6000 as a casual / travel cam.

I have a full Canon setup with some great glass, and I have a Sony NEX-5R and kit lens that I enjoy using for casual photos and video - it does a nice job. As someone who does occasional paid shooting though I would never fully switch to Sony - can't afford it!
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes
I really like my Canon 50mm and my Tamron Lens. I get some pretty nice photos with both.

Maybe I should look for a T3i for now ..... I don't know. Nowadays there are just too many options, LOL

Most of my photography is family and trip stuff. I like to have nice pictures, but I also have to realize I make $0 off of pics so I can't be dropping thousands and thousands of dollars. I have way too many other spontaneous obsessions :D
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 7:10 am
I really like my Canon 50mm and my Tamron Lens. I get some pretty nice photos with both.

Maybe I should look for a T3i for now ..... I don't know. Nowadays there are just too many options, LOL

Most of my photography is family and trip stuff. I like to have nice pictures, but I also have to realize I make $0 off of pics so I can't be dropping thousands and thousands of dollars. I have way too many other spontaneous obsessions :D
Well, a T2i / T3i / T4i (the last one is the best) is your cheapest upgrade option. So many of these in the resale market, you can get them very cheap. As far as DSLRs go they are still very small and light. A Canon SL1 is smaller and even better but that will be at least $300. Will all the Walmart resellers right now you can probably get a new in box SL1 with receipt for $350 - $375 cash.

An A6000 is a great camera, but it will cost lots of money to upgrade your lenses to Sony equivalents of Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and Canon 50mm f1.8. For example, I believe the Sony equivalent 50mm lens costs 2-3X what the Canon does. And the 16-50 Sony kit lens is fine, but it's certainly not gonna replace the great lenses you have for Canon.

Sony is really not a good system if your budget is tight. And totally switching systems is gonna cost a lot of money.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10729 posts
1740 upvotes
Ottawa
Honestly, if you are looking to downsize, forget the DSLR....moving to mirrorless from DSLRs was a relevation in convenience because the overall bulk went to a near pocketable size camera. Make the jump and you won't regret it. Yes there is more upfront cost due to switching brands, but like everything you can do it piecemeal. It doesn't have to be expensive. Buy used lenses too

I guess if you want to minimize costs, the SL1 is your best option.
Capture.PNG

The overall depth of the camera makes a difference, with a prime or kit zoom, I can carry the A6000 in my coat pocket
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9959 posts
4279 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Do you often take pictures wide open and want the same type of lenses? Have you priced out Sony E-mount 50 f/1.8 and a comparable f/2.8 zoom?
Do the same for Fuji or a MFT system, crop factor for the latter is 2x.

And what about are your video environments? Any lowlight? Do you shoot with focus to infinity or do you like wide aperture with oof blur in the background? Will you use a gimbal?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6817 posts
997 upvotes
Depends if you do actually step out of Auto and use other Modes on your XS. If you don't, then the A5000/5100 may be enough. If you do use and want more control and ext flash, then do yourself a favour and get the A6000. The main advantage of the A6000 over A5XXX is in control of the camera and a hotshoe.

There are many threads recently on the topic about mirrorless and if the A6000 is too expensive, there are other good options, too. Do a dig on mirrorless here.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes
Typically I use the Aperture setting on the camera (XS)

I don't usually shoot in Auto, but my wife does because she can't be bother to learn how to use the other functions.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 1:41 pm
Typically I use the Aperture setting on the camera (XS)

I don't usually shoot in Auto, but my wife does because she can't be bother to learn how to use the other functions.
The A5000 has inferior autofocus, no viewfinder etc. If you move to Sony I would really look hard at the A6000. If you can't afford $700 for the A6000, forget about Sony as everything is expensive in that system.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes
I think if I go with Sony at the least it will be the A6000.

I also understand everything on Sony is quite pricey. Given that, is there any other mirrorless recommendations you have?
May 14, 2013
323 posts
234 upvotes
Edmonton
I went from over a decade of using Nikon DSLR's to using Fuji Mirrorless (X-PRO2). I have not looked back. The low light performance is not that much more better on a DSLR, and I have less gear to haul around (weight-wise).