Switching to a Mirrorless?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 5:57 pm
Tags:
Oct 8, 2007
994 posts
130 upvotes
Bedford
I picked up a Panasonic G7 last week, primarily for its 4K video capability. Was thinking about Sony, but lens cost put me off. The G7 now costs about $USD. 4K video in Sony starts with the 6300 I believe, which costs twice as much. Will be staying with Nikon for stills work, but tinkering with the G7 for video. I am enjoying the focus peaking, and will likely try adapting some of my Nikon glass.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4656 posts
169 upvotes
Don't bother with the a5000, it's more like a toy than a camera.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes
Would you suggest something from Fuji, Panasonic, or Olympus instead of Sony considering the lens costs
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18593 posts
3703 upvotes
Thornhill
I'm on the same train, I had a 5D MK3 and Sony RX100 MK3, sold both and looking to get a mirrorless, was looking at the Sony A7ii but ends up more then I want to spend, so now I'm hunting for a Fuji X-T20.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 10:59 am
Would you suggest something from Fuji, Panasonic, or Olympus instead of Sony considering the lens costs
Lenses are definitely much cheaper for the Panasonic / Olympus m43 systems. However, much smaller sensor, worse high ISO performance, less control over depth of field..

But coming from your Canon XS, pretty much any body in any system will be a big upgrade for you.
May 17, 2012
895 posts
349 upvotes
grand valley
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 3:41 pm
Lenses are definitely much cheaper for the Panasonic / Olympus m43 systems. However, much smaller sensor, worse high ISO performance, less control over depth of field..

But coming from your Canon XS, pretty much any body in any system will be a big upgrade for you.
I wouldn't say the m43 sensor is much smaller than aps-c..

High ISO, DOF? This is taken with my EM10 w/Panasonic 25mm/1.7 at ISO 3200

Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10729 posts
1740 upvotes
Ottawa
The difference between m43 and APSC has been pretty much consistently 1 f-stop of light sensitivity and DOF (assuming state of the art sensors). Not usually a big deal if you have the right lenses. Of course, you won't get razor thin DOF, but for that, you'll probably want to jump to FF or Medium Format
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes
Oh Boy.... so many options.

Ok, now IF I wanted to check out a brand other than SONY which brand and model would you suggest?

IF I went with SONY I would likely do the A6000. However, if the lens selection and price comes into play I might want to check out some other options.

Can you suggest a couple other cameras that are not SONY that I can go check out this weekend?

I would love to upgrade my Canon XS, get something smaller in size, but I also want a camera I can get good use of for several years.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 8:20 am
Oh Boy.... so many options.

Ok, now IF I wanted to check out a brand other than SONY which brand and model would you suggest?

IF I went with SONY I would likely do the A6000. However, if the lens selection and price comes into play I might want to check out some other options.

Can you suggest a couple other cameras that are not SONY that I can go check out this weekend?

I would love to upgrade my Canon XS, get something smaller in size, but I also want a camera I can get good use of for several years.
Rather than worrying so much about the camera body, I would suggest that you do some research into the system that you want to invest into. Because you will end up rebuying the equivalent of your Canon lenses.

Canon / Nikon have the cheapest lenses, by a long shot, especially when you consider the resale market. This is why I shoot Canikon. I could acquire the lens arsenal I wanted (including backups in some cases) very cheaply.
But it sounds like you want something smaller. I do own a small amount of m43 and Sony gear.

Next best value is the Panasonic / Olympus Micro 4/3 system. Good options for a body are Olympus EM10 Mark 2 (around $600), Panasonic G7. If you are interested in video, Panasonic is much better regarded than Olympus. Sony is the next system i'd consider, and the A6000 has already been discussed. Sony lenses are more expensive than m43.

Fuji is sort of a niche system that isn't used by many people, and you'll have a hard time finding a deal on anything. I would stay away from Nikon 1 mirrorless (dead system) and Canon EOS M (near dead system with very little support from Canon).

All in all, if you wanna go mirrorless and small, I would suggest micro 4/3 OR Sony. Both are good options, healthy ecosystems with a bright future.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9959 posts
4279 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 8:53 am
Rather than worrying so much about the camera body, I would suggest that you do some research into the system that you want to invest into. Because you will end up rebuying the equivalent of your Canon lenses.
+1

This is was what I was insinuating with my first reply, a used 70D is the most budget conscious decision, existing lenses, DPAF for video
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Guys, the OP has clearly said that his budget is A5000 level, ie. under $500. Some people are suggesting options costing triple that....
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes
Any reason why Canon Mirrorless isn't supported by Canon?

I would love to be able to keep all my Canon lenses, but I am more interested in a smaller mirrorless camera.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 9:04 am
+1

This is was what I was insinuating with my first reply, a used 70D is the most budget conscious decision, existing lenses, DPAF for video
Yeah, a 70D or even a T3i would be cheap options. It's what I'd do since he already has good Canon glass.

But he said he wants something smaller, and budget is around $500. Kinda limiting budget but an A6000 plus kit lens is not a lot more than that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9959 posts
4279 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 9:08 am
Guys, the OP has clearly said that his budget is A5000 level, ie. under $500. Some people are suggesting options costing triple that....