Tags:
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 9:09 am
Any reason why Canon Mirrorless isn't supported by Canon?

I would love to be able to keep all my Canon lenses, but I am more interested in a smaller mirrorless camera.

They just have not come out with a lot of EF-M lenses. They sell a $250ish adapter to use your old DSLR EF and EF-S lenses, but it's pointless, as you might as well just get a Rebel to use those lenses. There is really no clear advantage to using EOS M over EF DSLRs, which is why EOS M hasn't taken off.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9959 posts
4280 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Easto wrote:

I would love to be able to keep all my Canon lenses, but I am more interested in a smaller mirrorless camera.
Flange distance

You can get an adapter but it defeats the purpose using the same bigger lenses on EOS-M and AF will be slower.
Canon is behind in their M division against the surge of others.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote:

As Ancaster said, the issue with your lenses is they are designed for a DSLR. No matter how small they make a mirrorless camera body, you'll still be carrying around those big lenses.

If you wanna see how small a great DSLR lens can be, look at the Canon EF 40mm f2.8. Costs around $200, is tiny and an amazing lens.

Look at m43 system if you really wanna see how small good lenses can be.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9959 posts
4280 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 9:12 am
Yeah, a 70D or even a T3i would be cheap options. It's what I'd do since he already has good Canon glass.

But he said he wants something smaller, and budget is around $500. Kinda limiting budget but an A6000 plus kit lens is not a lot more than that.
I've seen the A6000+kit on kijiji for $600

Trouble is for example portraits, OP you have a 50 f/1.8, on the Sony kit, the max aperture at 50mm is 5.6.

That creep in the back is obliterated with the nifty fifty at 1.8:

Ok, serious here lol, things just melt better in the background with 1.8 vs 5.6. And more light with a wider aperture = more lower light use.

Last edited by AncasterRFD on Jun 21st, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes
Awesome, thanks for all the info and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 9:29 am
I've seen the A6000+kit on kijiji for $600

Trouble is for example portraits, OP you have a 50 f/1.8, on the Sony kit, the max aperture at 50mm is 5.6.

That creep in the back is obliterated with the nifty fifty at 1.8:

Ok, serious here lol, things just melt better in the background with 1.8 vs 5.6

Yeah, personally I only shoot with primes, almost always either than Canon / Nikon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4, or the Nikon 35mm f1.8

For Sony, he'll have to pony up the $400 for the 50mm f1.8 for a lens that is likely worse optically than the Canon nifty fifty (which can easily be scored for 70 bucks used). Good times. $%& Sony. I just got a mint Canon 50 1.8 and mint 50D body for 150 bucks yesterday. This is why I'm stuck in Canon / Nikon land, prices like that.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10729 posts
1740 upvotes
Ottawa
Easto wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 8:20 am
Oh Boy.... so many options.

Ok, now IF I wanted to check out a brand other than SONY which brand and model would you suggest?

IF I went with SONY I would likely do the A6000. However, if the lens selection and price comes into play I might want to check out some other options.

Can you suggest a couple other cameras that are not SONY that I can go check out this weekend?

I would love to upgrade my Canon XS, get something smaller in size, but I also want a camera I can get good use of for several years.
Under $500 is pretty hard, you are basically stuck with the cheap DSLR options. DLRs offer the best value due their long history with many lens/accessories, but they will always be big camera (Ancaster's diagram shows why...DSLRs have to be big because of the viewfinder, mirror and prism and flange distance, they take up space).

If you want to get into compact mirrorless, going to A6000, the Olympus EM10MK2 (now reaching $600 ish). Having a viewfinder like the A6000, and EM10 make a big difference, If you're ok with shooting always using the back screen, then A5100, Basically Sony (APSC EMount), and Olympus/Panasonic (m43) are the prominent options. For most people I do recommend m43. It's a very capable system for building up photo skills, and they are relatively tiny.

Fuji is also available but is more niche. Their lenses are bigger, expensive but very high quality. Not that good for the value shooter.

read through this article, I think it summarizes some of the pros and cons of the various options in the under $1000 range http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-m ... nder-1000/
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
May 17, 2012
895 posts
349 upvotes
grand valley
factory refurb body only em10 mkii is 299 usd right now on the oly US site. a great deal. the em10 mki is 199 but i believe sold out. you'll likely want to skip the 14-42 ii r lens that is typically a part of the em10 mk ii kit anyway -- although it's not a bad lens per say and totally fine for casual use, you can easily pick one up for south of $80 cdn used on kijiji though.

the panasonic 25mm (nifty fifty full frame equivalent) 1.7 prime is currently 147 usd at b&h photo, just a bit over 200 cdn to your door.

this is where i'd spend your money. you can add more lenses later - there is a decent used market for m43 (though nothing like canon or nikon)
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
esoxhntr wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 11:28 am
factory refurb body only em10 mkii is 299 usd right now on the oly US site. a great deal. the em10 mki is 199 but i believe sold out. you'll likely want to skip the 14-42 ii r lens that is typically a part of the em10 mk ii kit anyway -- although it's not a bad lens per say and totally fine for casual use, you can easily pick one up for south of $80 cdn used on kijiji though.

the panasonic 25mm (nifty fifty full frame equivalent) 1.7 prime is currently 147 usd at b&h photo, just a bit over 200 cdn to your door.

this is where i'd spend your money. you can add more lenses later - there is a decent used market for m43 (though nothing like canon or nikon)
Best to buy the camera in Canada and get a proper Canadian warranty. Agreed on Panny 25 mm 1.7 being a great choice. Add the Olympus 40-150 telephoto for roughly $150.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
684 posts
90 upvotes
Really, anything will be a huge upgrade over my Canon XS.

The Olympus EM 10 looks promising. Just to confirm I can also use Panasonic lenses on this body?

Finally, if anyone stumbles across some good deals that might fit my needs I would love a bit of a heads up if possible.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out, I appreciate it.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11136 posts
1796 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 8:33 am
Really, anything will be a huge upgrade over my Canon XS.

The Olympus EM 10 looks promising. Just to confirm I can also use Panasonic lenses on this body?

Finally, if anyone stumbles across some good deals that might fit my needs I would love a bit of a heads up if possible.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out, I appreciate it.
Yes, you can use Panasonic and Olympus lenses interchangeably. Olympus cameras have in body image stabilization that works on any lens (great for low light, telephoto shooting etc.)

Anyone using m43 cameras for serious video is using a Panasonic body though... G7, GH8.. etc. Great cheap 4K video.

If I were you I would get either EM10 MK2 or A6000. Personally if I were to totally move to mirrorless, I would go to Sony for the larger sensor and superior low light ability. But m43 is a great system too. If you do get the A6000, many retailers have deals where you can get the 55-210 telephoto lens for an additional $200. It's well worth it to get that.

Consider whether to keep your Canon lenses, or take a loss selling them. The XS body is fairly worthless, maybe worth about 50 - 75 bucks but your good lenses still have value. Rather than selling everything as a package, you will get more money selling the lenses individually. It may take a couple of months to get offers for your lenses at fair and full value. This is a good time of year to sell camera gear though, as people are outdoors a lot, there are lots of events / sports, and people taking vacations.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10729 posts
1740 upvotes
Ottawa
Easto wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 8:33 am
The deals come sporadically. For m43 the 25mm was $99 USD last fall and people were ordering those last year. Other deals come and go, so you do have to kind of monitor this forum to see what people are posting for deals. I missed out on a $400 17mm f1.8 lens recently but got a $220 FL600R flash two years ago.

check photoprice.ca every once in a while with links to your wishlist products

For Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies, since some Panasonic lenses have OIS, you would usually turn off the OIS on the lens to avoid working against the Olympus IBIS. On the fancier Panasonics cameras you can use both at the same time.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3276 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
I used a slightly older Nikon DSLR for many years, then switched to a Sony A6000.

Pros of the A6000 are better low-light performance, less bulk and weight, and certain aspects of the electronic viewfinder are pretty neat.
Cons are much shorter battery life, feels slightly less responsive, feels more fragile, less availability of inexpensive lenses.
May 11, 2008
360 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver
I was in the same boat as the OP a couple of years ago, shooting with an older Canon DSLR (T1i) and decided to make a switch to mirrorless.
Ended up switching to the Olympus OM-D E-M10, I wanted to cut down on the weight I was carrying after my last backpacking trip around Asia.
It's much lighter in weight, has a good availability of used lenses and I like having some of the options like connecting by wireless with my phone to use it as a shutter release or a remote when I want to take night photos.
The battery life isn't quite as good as my old Canon but I carry around a couple of extra batteries and it solves that issue.

Overall I've been really happy with the switch and can't wait to take it with me on my next backpacking trip this fall.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3051 posts
249 upvotes
Bumping an old thread as I have similar questions. Wifey and I use a D7000 with the 50mm F1.4 Nikon, the Tamron 24-70 2.8 and newly acquired Nikon 12-24.
We've had the D7000 now for I believe 6 or so year and delayed upgrading until we actually learned how to use the camera and started hitting various limits of the current gear. We're now starting to look for gear upgrade for shooting mostly portrait and landscape. A few important features that will get us past some of the limits of the current gear are:
  • Better low light performance
  • Proper fast focus for Video and less out of focus pics in fast situations (trying to catch kids)
  • Possibly full frame
  • Much more focus points
After some research, I realized that the mirrorless is a thing now ... I'm a little behind the times :). I'll likely need a prime portrait and a run and gun 24-xx lens. Went and watched tons of reviews on Youtube over the last few days, caught up with the model numbers and differences and came up with a couple of options. Wife works with the camera so we're willing to spend anywhere between 1000 to 2500 for a nice body with the hope to keep it for the next 5 years at least.

So I'm looking at: Nikon D850, Sony A6500, Sony A7Rx (likely R3 but man that one is expensive). A couple of questions:
1. Is investing in a DSLR for a stills/Video a suicide move these days?
2. Can I fulfill all the above with an A6500 or do I need to jump to the A7Rx or some other mirrorless?
3. If Mirrorless, are the Sony G lenses worth the premium over their lesser brethren?

Thanks in advance for your advice.