Pets

Switching my husky mix off Acana, any recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2017 11:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2452 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto

Switching my husky mix off Acana, any recommendations?

Got some good advice 4 years ago, and here I am again.

So my girl has been on Acana since that thread, but recently she has developed skin problems and we are suspecting it is related to her food. My suspicions have gotten stronger after learning that several others have been experiencing the same thing.

I haven't kept up with the top brands since I posted that thread 4 years ago, does anyone have suggestions?

I'm looking for a venison/lamb/fish dry kibble for a senior. She can't have chicken, beef, or pork.
8 replies
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
I would definitely switch to a different protein than before. Why not try Canisource Grand Cru Grain Free turkey or Grain Free pork and lamb? It's dehydrated raw, grain free and can be served dry or rehydrated. It's a bit pricey, but cheaper than other raw dog foods, and can be sourced at Global Pet Foods.

If you want a premium dry kibble, some other good Canadian brands include Horizon Legacy and Nutrience Sub Zero
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2448 posts
556 upvotes
Toronto
Yes - big country raw.

Go raw. You'll never regret it.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
265 upvotes
British Columbia
Don't blame Acana on your dogs allergies, dog allergies are a huge issue no matter the food they are on... If it is a food allergy vets will suggest trying a protein the dog has never been on before. Sounds like your dog has had just about every commercially avaiable protien so that makes it extremely difficult.

The first rule in if you suspect food allergies is to stick to a single protein source. Go with fish, it should be cheaper than the other two you listed.

Next, go to a pet store and find a brand. Look for limited ingredient diets.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4808 posts
935 upvotes
Mississauga
There is the newly advertised (with Michael Phelps) Nulo dog food that you can find at PetsMart.

No idea if it's any good, but Michael Phelps! Haha.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4808 posts
935 upvotes
Mississauga
Bull Dog wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 4:35 pm
I would definitely switch to a different protein than before. Why not try Canisource Grand Cru Grain Free turkey or Grain Free pork and lamb? It's dehydrated raw, grain free and can be served dry or rehydrated. It's a bit pricey, but cheaper than other raw dog foods, and can be sourced at Global Pet Foods.

If you want a premium dry kibble, some other good Canadian brands include Horizon Legacy and Nutrience Sub Zero
I have found Mondou (https://www.mondou.com/en-CA/) has the best price for CaniSource and they have a loyalty points program and free shipping that is fast. They are in Quebec, and I get my package the next day (I am in Ontario)...as long as you order before noon.
Dec 1, 2007
840 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
I switched my Husky from Orijen to N&D Pumpkin Grain Free, Got them from Global Pet Foods.

https://www.farmina.com/us/d-dog-food.html
Rig 1: Coolermaster CM690, X3 720BE unlocked@3.6Ghz, Prolimatech Megahalem, Asus M3A79-T, 2 x 2Gb Mushkin Ascent 1066, TX750W, Intel X25-M 80gb, 2x WD Black 1TB -- Win7 Ultimate 64bit