Cell Phones

Switching phones and how to transfer contact and info?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2018 9:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2765 posts
614 upvotes
Mississauga

Switching phones and how to transfer contact and info?

Whats the best way to transfer all the "stuff" I have on my phone Samsung S6 to a new phone I will be getting soon (P20 or S9) both Android based?
Do I have to back up my phone and then restore or what?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3735 posts
934 upvotes
GTA
Depends on the phone. Some brands have their own migration software. I know Samsung has their Smart Switch app. Pixels have a decent migration tool. Not sure about Huawei.
Usually, it just involves connecting the two phones together when you're setting up the new phone.

I'd also make sure you have your Google account syncing properly. Make sure sync is enabled for everything you want to keep.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1671 posts
264 upvotes
Just upload and sync with Google.
On new phone, I just log into my Google account and all contact is there.
Jul 5, 2004
23627 posts
3120 upvotes
doberman_baby wrote:
May 30th, 2018 6:30 pm
Just upload and sync with Google.
On new phone, I just log into my Google account and all contact is there.
This. Then go to Google Play and go to your library. Download whichever apps you want from that list and you're all set
Dec 4, 2017
345 posts
116 upvotes
Yep. Google will back up a lot of content and automatically restore to another device, if you enable sync on the right types of data.

Two things that is not backed up are call history and SMS history. There are many apps that will do this, but I find that almost all of them have some overreach with connecting to various on-line services in ways that are a bit suspicious, or introduce local security by being ad-supported. I use "SMS Backup and Restore" by SyncTech. This is now marked as containing ads, though it didn't when I first installed it. I haven't allowed updated to the adware version, and would buy the pro version if setting up a new phone today. At just $5, it's easily worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
631 upvotes
NORTH YORK
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 30th, 2018 4:42 pm
Whats the best way to transfer all the "stuff" I have on my phone Samsung S6 to a new phone I will be getting soon (P20 or S9) both Android based?
Do I have to back up my phone and then restore or what?
Contacts in Google contacts will be transferred to the new phone anyway.
There is an issue of transferring video and images from the old to the new . If there are not too many, say 30-40 of them , users can just whatsapp them to his/buddies/spouse......
After that go to Whatapp/Setting/Chats/Chat backup and do an immediate back up to Google Drive. It takes some time if there is a lot. Anyway after that users will have all those chats/video/images/whatsapp contacts .......in the new phone
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
631 upvotes
NORTH YORK
soupmaster666 wrote:
May 31st, 2018 12:50 pm
It seems like a lot of work to message all the files to someone else, then back that chat program up to a file storage site,
Your Whatsapp app does by default save all the chat/video/images to Google Drive anyway usually Saturday midnight.
soupmaster666 wrote:
then go to the other phone and download the chat app, and use it to recover the data from the file storage site.
This is not extra steps at all as the user is switching from one phone to the next
soupmaster666 wrote:
Why not just Google Drive the stuff?
All these are through Google Drive anyway. The extra steps I mentioned above is for some special and odd video/images away from Whatsapp and they are in your galary. You can select in bulk (and pass along) not just one by one at all.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2765 posts
614 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanx guys. My phone is auto backed up to Google but I wasnt sure whether I can just restore everything on a new device after I log back in.