Careers

Switching from QC govt to Federal - retirement plan implications?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2015 11:45 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
233 upvotes
Quebec

Switching from QC govt to Federal - retirement plan implications?

I'm seriously looking at a career move from the Quebec public sector over to the federal side. This would be for unionized positions (technician level, not management). I have been working for the Quebec govt for just over 10 years, I have a permanent position but I see my career prospects as limited, mismanagement is rife, salaries are nothing special and the working conditions protect the lazy and don't reward competence. (And as an anglo I get no credit for my bilingualism.)

Where would I get information about the implications for retirement if I were to switch to a (unionized) job with the federal government? My provincial contributions would stop at 10 years, would I be at a severe disadvantage if I moved to the federal side for, say, 20 years before retirement? Are there advisers who can help me with this? Who should I be consulting?

Thanks for any insight!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remunerati ... s-eng.html

This would be a good place to start.
I see my career prospects as limited, mismanagement is rife, salaries are nothing special and the working conditions protect the lazy and don't reward competence.
I don't know if switching to federal would be your remedy. I heard a lot of government jobs are like this.
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
233 upvotes
Quebec
ilove wrote: http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remunerati ... s-eng.html

This would be a good place to start.

I don't know if switching to federal would be your remedy. I heard a lot of government jobs are like this.
Thanks for your reply, it's appreciated. Unfortunately your link seems to have been truncated somewhere (it gives a 404 not-found error) and I can't work out exactly what page it refers to.

I know that the federal govt is not perfect, but it can't be worse than Quebec!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
bertvl wrote: Thanks for your reply, it's appreciated. Unfortunately your link seems to have been truncated somewhere (it gives a 404 not-found error) and I can't work out exactly what page it refers to.

I know that the federal govt is not perfect, but it can't be worse than Quebec!
It looks like RFD automatically truncates the link. Just google federal public service pension transfer agreement.
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
233 upvotes
Quebec
ilove wrote: It looks like RFD automatically truncates the link. Just google federal public service pension transfer agreement.
Brilliant, thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!
Nov 15, 2008
800 posts
227 upvotes
Has anyone here actually done this? I'd be interested in hearing how it works.