Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15885 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON

Switching from Win10 to MacOS

So... I hate Windows 10. I have it on my Dell Inspiron 13 7000, and I just hate it so much. My S.O. has a rMBP, and I enjoy using it SOOO much more. Therefore, I've been lately thinking of getting an MBP after I dump the Dell on kijiji.
Is this a wise choice? Will I start suffering from "mac-gret" after a 2 month honeymoon? (I also have a desktop PC which is still on Windows 7 and is perfectly fine)

For the record... not an iPhone user: Android/OnePlus3, so it has no real connection to either Windows or MacOS.
I do have an iPad and an AppleTV 4K though, and of course my S.O. is fully immersed in the Apple ecosystem, like I said.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1961 posts
1409 upvotes
Montreal
I can't really say if you will end up regretting it down the line because I don't know what you'll be doing on it, if you need specific types of software, etc. But if you've used it and you enjoy it, I say go for it.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11192 posts
1459 upvotes
Markham
don't worry
if you regret later, you can install Windows on the Mac.
(Bootcamp)
works well
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Oct 14, 2009
469 posts
128 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
Why not try Linux instead? Gives you an option of trying something new without having to replace your current Dell Inspiron.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9840 posts
1056 upvotes
Lol not sure whats ppl issue with windows 10 is.

Works the same and better than w7
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10751 posts
1754 upvotes
Ottawa
if you already used MacOS before on your gf's laptop, then you know how it is already? I can't see how there's gonna be regret. I find that MacOS has an equal share of annoyances just like Windows. Some things that are easy on Windows are just stupid in MacOS and vice versa. Neither is perfect.

But I do prefer MacOS on a laptop, it seems lighter weight and better on battery. On a laptop I just use it for everyday tasks whereas I use my Windows machine for more hardcore tasks that require heavy processing (and gaming too).

These days, a laptop is basically not user serviceable so if something does go wrong, I'd rather take it to an Apple store who may be able to fix it in hours/days than sending back to Lenovo/Micrsoft/Asus and being without it for weeks/months.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14666 posts
1118 upvotes
Toronto
You've always struck me as someone with a fair bit of sagacity so to see you start a thread like you did is a little odd.

For me osx is so much more superior than windows. The interface is very polished and optimized from the start. Without degenerating to the windows is for people who know how to haxor and edit the registry nonsense there is very little in windows that enhances the user experience. It's literally torture to use windows for anything productive but I may be out of practice since I last used it in 2007-8 when I switched.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15885 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 1:17 am
You've always struck me as someone with a fair bit of sagacity so to see you start a thread like you did is a little odd.

For me osx is so much more superior than windows. The interface is very polished and optimized from the start. Without degenerating to the windows is for people who know how to haxor and edit the registry nonsense there is very little in windows that enhances the user experience. It's literally torture to use windows for anything productive but I may be out of practice since I last used it in 2007-8 when I switched.
lol. I posted this thread because I feel my hatred of Win10 is emotional, rather than fact-based. So wanted to get others' opinions before I make any rash decisions.

Actually, not sure I will get a Macbook Pro - at this point in time at least. The 2017 13" version without touch bar has a few negative points against it, IMO. Questionable keyboard, only 2 USB ports (of which 1 is always taken up by the AC adapter).
Since I'd like to do PS/Lightroom work on my laptop, it doesn't strike me as functional enough. I think rationally speaking, the horrible performance of my Inspiron (which is a late 2014 model) might contribute a lot to my hatred of Win10, so I need to take that into account.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3154 posts
552 upvotes
GTA
I like MacBooks. There's really nothing like the touchpad gestures on anything else that I've tried.

I use Windows and macos interchangeably. Grew up with Windows and switched in 2013 after I stopped caring about putting my own desktops together and things like that. Unless you have specific windows program needs, it's no big deal. I also don't game though so there's that. Even if I do, it's usually something like Diablo or some other Blizzard game that supports macos anyway.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16739 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
konfusion666 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:20 pm
So... I hate Windows 10. I have it on my Dell Inspiron 13 7000, and I just hate it so much. My S.O. has a rMBP, and I enjoy using it SOOO much more. Therefore, I've been lately thinking of getting an MBP after I dump the Dell on kijiji.
Is this a wise choice? Will I start suffering from "mac-gret" after a 2 month honeymoon? (I also have a desktop PC which is still on Windows 7 and is perfectly fine)

For the record... not an iPhone user: Android/OnePlus3, so it has no real connection to either Windows or MacOS.
I do have an iPad and an AppleTV 4K though, and of course my S.O. is fully immersed in the Apple ecosystem, like I said.
Which CPU does that laptop use?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15885 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
mr_raider wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:30 am
Which CPU does that laptop use?
it's a late-2014 Dell Inspiron 13 7000 from the Microsoft Store. I think it uses a i5-4210u or something like that
but the HD is horribly slow. forget 5400rpm, it's more like 1 rpm
Jan 10, 2017
404 posts
149 upvotes
GTA
OP is coming from a presumably 2015 budget hybrid laptop (thats what reviews call it) which is being compared to a Macbook Air in terms of usage. OP switched to a refurbished Macbook Pro and is enjoying the experience.
It's an upgrade to go the the MBP, or any other high end laptop.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16739 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
konfusion666 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:10 am
it's a late-2014 Dell Inspiron 13 7000 from the Microsoft Store. I think it uses a i5-4210u or something like that
but the HD is horribly slow. forget 5400rpm, it's more like 1 rpm
Start by getting a SSD. That may make your laptop good enough. I still use a Haswell generation laptop (i5 4200u) with no issues.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16687 posts
1065 upvotes
Niagara Falls
How can anyone tell you if you're going to regret it or not. It's going to be up to your preferences. Have you considered just trying to hackintosh it?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
4866 posts
245 upvotes
I like the macbook for a laptop. And I'm a windows user. My main cross compatible apps are MS office. The rest of the stuff I usually do on my Desktop.

I think the trackpad is what I like the most.