None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga

Sworn Statement For A Family Gift for used vehicle

In the form for the Sworn Statement For A Family Gift Of A Used Motor Vehicle In The Province Of Ontario, it says the (City, Town, etc) and (Name of City, Town, etc) - what do I put for the City, Town, etc section and what do I put for the Name of City, Town, etc portion? Also the County, Regional Municipality, etc and Name of of County, Regional Municipality, etc area? My dad is giving me the car as a gift and we're located in Mississauga. Thanks for the help. The form is located at: http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/forms/rst/pdf/1157.pdf
38 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11198 posts
1418 upvotes
Blackmajik wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2009 7:36 pm
In the form for the Sworn Statement For A Family Gift Of A Used Motor Vehicle In The Province Of Ontario, it says the (City, Town, etc) and (Name of City, Town, etc) - what do I put for the City, Town, etc section and what do I put for the Name of City, Town, etc portion? Also the County, Regional Municipality, etc and Name of of County, Regional Municipality, etc area? My dad is giving me the car as a gift and we're located in Mississauga. Thanks for the help. The form is located at: http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/forms/rst/pdf/1157.pdf
Looks to me as:
We, Dad Jones of the City of Mississauga in the Regional Municipality of Peel, Province of Ontario and Son Jones of the City of Mississauga in the Regional Municipality of Peel, Province of Ontario
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
The form lists it as follows:

We, Name of Recipent) of the (City, Town, etc.) of (Name of City, Town, etc.) in the (County, Regional Municipality, etc.) of (Name of County, Regional Municipality, etc.), Province of Ontario, and Name of Donor) of the (City, Town, etc.) of (Name of City, Town, etc.) in the (County, Regional Municipality, etc.) of (Name of County, Regional Municipality, etc.), Province of Ontario.

All underlined is the example I should fill in. I don't know why Government documents are so damn hard to fill out. :mad:

Edit: Never mind, I got your example l69norm. Thanks for your help.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
cq358 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2009 8:25 pm
Oh,, you gonna buy car form Alberta and ship it back to ontario to avoid the 7% PST tax? and declare as a gift from a family member.
No I'm not going to spend a penny on the vehicle itself. It is just a straight transfer of ownership. Only money I'm going to spend is the registration, paper work, etc.
Oct 2, 2007
342 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
cq358 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2009 8:25 pm
Oh,, you gonna buy car form Alberta and ship it back to ontario to avoid the 7% PST tax? and declare as a gift from a family member.
Can this really be done? I thought you had to live at the same address, no?
Hmm, after reading the mto site, this may be possible :)
Oct 2, 2007
342 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
cynick wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2009 10:26 pm
Can this really be done? I thought you had to live at the same address, no?
Hmm, after reading the mto site, this may be possible :)
Nah, the form applies only if the transfer is within Ontario.. :lol:
Aug 12, 2004
155 posts
2 upvotes
Hello,

I am trying to change ownership of a vehicle to my mother. Who can I get to sign as the commissioner? I really want to avoid paying a lawyer/notary, but if I have to, any recommendations? What other options do I have?

Thanks!
May 25, 2003
187 posts
20 upvotes
some MTO offices have a commissioner on-site that can do it for you. call services ontario or look at the site for the location nearest you.
Dec 26, 2009
691 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
fuzzzydonut wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2010 2:45 am
Hello,

I am trying to change ownership of a vehicle to my mother. Who can I get to sign as the commissioner? I really want to avoid paying a lawyer/notary, but if I have to, any recommendations? What other options do I have?

Thanks!
If you live around the North York area. I can refer you to someone who is a Commissioner of Oaths and will sign it for no fee.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7944 posts
337 upvotes
fantastic_dan wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2010 3:55 am
some MTO offices have a commissioner on-site that can do it for you. call services ontario or look at the site for the location nearest you.
yup, this is correct. I think it's a $10-$25 cash fee for them to do this.

most MTO ofices has a commissioner there.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1065 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote:
Jul 9th, 2010 6:22 pm
hey, just wanted to bring this back up and ask a similar question.
If my dad is planning on buying a car as a gift for me, does he purchase it himself, then declare it as a gift to me, in which we then avoid the retail sales tax?
If I understand you correctly, your dad wants to buy you a car from a third party (used car dealership, private sale) and you want to avoid the tax completely?

Impossible. The purpose of this Sworn Statement is to allow tax-free transfer between relatives. Because your dad doesn't own the car right now, how can he transfer the car to you? You need to pay HST to the dealership regardless who register the car first. After that, you can do the tax free transfer. But I see no point of doing that, just register the car to your name during the registration process.
Apr 10, 2006
91 posts
5 upvotes
Wondering if anyone knows the answer to this, can I be considered a "son-in-law" if my common law girlfriend's (2 years living together) father gifts me his car?

Thanks
× < >