• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2018 5:10 pm
Aug 5, 2015
614 posts
211 upvotes
Montreal, QC
facebook259 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:23 pm
I can't say that particular one confused me. But there have been some TV ones that have confused me equally much. Sometimes the links take you directly to the product page, sometimes they not. Sometimes there are pop-ups and advertisements that get in the way, sometimes not... But if I were to follow this to the logical conclusion, we don't need subject lines at all. Lets just give each a deal number. OK, now I'm guilty of reductio ad sadsurdum as well. You didn't say eliminate the subject, just that product name was sufficient in all cases.
Well we could go on forever, but from my part it's very, very simple. If the title has the *model number* and the post has a link to the product, like the current thread, it's good enough for me and I think should be good enough for most people here. If there is no link, or no model number, I could understand what you're on about. I think that's what you have to understand if you want to know why people are giving you a bad time, even if you ask politely.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2409 posts
905 upvotes
Ottawa
facebook259 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:23 pm
But for someone who needs a NAS badly
If someone needs a NAS badly,they already know the name Synology and the fact that's what they make. Hell, I figured it was a mid-range 4 bay NAS just by looking at the name and the price.
insulting reductio ad adsurdum arguments in response to a polite request.
No need to be dramatic.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2409 posts
905 upvotes
Ottawa
willy0275 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:34 pm
Well we could go on forever, but from my part it's very, very simple. If the title has the *model number* and the post has a link to the product, like the current thread, it's good enough for me
Exactly. If I don't know what something is, I just click on the link and look. It really doesn't take any time unless you are on carrier-pidgeon internet.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2206 posts
237 upvotes
Do you know what's worse than someone bitching about a post title? Thirty comments bitching about how someone bitched about a post title. LET IT GO.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3867 posts
538 upvotes
Markham
RedFlagRobot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 2:43 pm
Do you know what's worse than someone bitching about a post title? Thirty comments bitching about how someone bitched about a post title. LET IT GO.
but someone on the internet is wrong
Jan 12, 2017
139 posts
37 upvotes
@Chubbychicken Perhaps a point of perception, while for some the deal is less than hot (and in that, there is disappointment and frustration) then they vent. They would like to see a good value forum they could avoid.
Aug 3, 2010
247 posts
17 upvotes
I'd love to get an honest answer. I notice many pay $500+ for NAS drives with 4 bays and each bay typically has 2-8TB drives, equating to as much as 32TB of storage.

What exactly do most put on these kinds of monster-sized NAS units? I can't figure it out. It certainly cant be just holiday photos, baby pictures, and wedding videos.

Is it a lot of torrent movie downloads?
Aug 27, 2006
615 posts
201 upvotes
Delta
brand404 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:05 pm
I'd love to get an honest answer. I notice many pay $500+ for NAS drives with 4 bays and each bay typically has 2-8TB drives, equating to as much as 32TB of storage.

What exactly do most put on these kinds of monster-sized NAS units? I can't figure it out. It certainly cant be just holiday photos, baby pictures, and wedding videos.

Depends, but there are LOTS of ways to fill the storage.
  • Personal photos & videos can take up a lot of space
  • Backups
  • ISOs
  • Video editing (RAW files, 4K content consume a lot)
take into account how much replication you want and you can fill a 4-bay device quickly. Also, yes, some fill it with media acquired through torrents.

A 4-bay NAS with 2TB drives is only 8TB total storage or 4TB usable if you are replicating everything.
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2844 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto
brand404 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:05 pm

ISOs is code for pirated movies, tv series, music and so forth.
Feb 23, 2004
267 posts
22 upvotes
You'll certainly need some huge disk space NAS if you need to store 10 years of Korean / Japanese Dramas and movies !
Feb 23, 2004
267 posts
22 upvotes
Also, using Raid 10 (mirroring) is just for simplicity sake, so that in case of one drive failure, just swap in a new replacement drive and it should re-built itself much more faster.

The add-on Crucial 8Gb DDR3/DDR3L 1866 (MAC) DIMM from Amazon.ca back in December was on sales for C$71, which was a very good price.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2409 posts
905 upvotes
Ottawa
rebel_rfd wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:41 pm
ISOs is code for pirated movies, tv series, music and so forth.
Not necessarily, let's not paint everyone who says "ISO's" with a criminal brush.

Personally, I use mine for VM's, movies, music (although that's a bit redundant now with Spotify), home movies, pictures, documents, etc.
Nov 5, 2015
37 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FrancisBacon wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 2:16 pm
no provincial sales tax if you live in Quebec
How are you getting it to show up with no provincial sales tax if you live in Quebec? When I go to checkout it is showing me GST $34.51 and PST $68.85 for an address on the island of Montreal?

Thank you for posting this deal, if I can get it for $689.99 - $5 newsletter signup promo, I definitely consider it a hot deal!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1003 posts
491 upvotes
Montreal
mathieurousseau wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:15 pm
How are you getting it to show up with no provincial sales tax if you live in Quebec? When I go to checkout it is showing me GST $34.51 and PST $68.85 for an address on the island of Montreal?
I didn't do anything special, just used a Montréal postal code.

Are you logged in with some other address in your account? Maybe using a VPN? Try resetting your cookies?
Nov 5, 2015
37 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think I figured out where I went wrong, I was looking on Mikescomputershop, and they charge provincial sales tax for QC. I went over to NewEgg and saw that they don't charge provincial sales tax for QC, but they are more expensive, selling the DS918+ for $749.99, compared to $689.99 at Mikescomputershop.

Does anyone have any experience getting a price match from NewEgg? Best case scenario would be to have them match the $689.99 price from Mikescomputershop and then ship to QC without provincial sales tax...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)