• Jul 19th, 2017 10:37 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14320 posts
1025 upvotes

Synthetics vs conventional

How many of the pragmatic drivers swear by synthetic vs regular? I phrase it that way because s lot of the parts we put on our cars are just frankly overkill and the regular stuff will do fine according to some. In the rotor and brakes thread soneone said yellow stuff is good but more a product of effective marketing. by that logic isn't conventional also good enough for most people? Its akin to an f1 team spending untold amounts of money to gain a few tenths.

I looked at the price difference of say regular oil and good stuff like rotella made by shell, you can do 2-3 oil changes with the regular stuff. the popular opinion of with synthetics you will get greater mileage hence less changes and may even be more cost effective but why blue selectively apply the logic of marketing spiel to other parts and not oil because most of the belief is founded on manufacturers claims.

Let's face it. 10k on regular vs synth the oil is going to be black as tar. are there any anecdotal experience from soneone without an agenda sending in their oil samples and getting it tested? My point is after 10k the oil is still lubricating may be a little less than synth but is isn't like no oil at all.
80 replies
Jun 20, 2010
638 posts
239 upvotes
I'm no mechanic but I use Synthetic for two reasons: 12k OCI on my Elantra as per the manual (dealership wanted 4k OCI because of "severe weather" conditions in Canada so I told them to FO) and for peace of mind.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1791 posts
748 upvotes
Montreal
Oil turning black doesn't mean it's gone bad, use whatever recommended by the manufacturer at recommended interval. Been doing this for a long time and haven't had any problem at all.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14320 posts
1025 upvotes
jzmtl wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:23 am
Oil turning black doesn't mean it's gone bad, use whatever recommended by the manufacturer at recommended interval. Been doing this for a long time and haven't had any problem at all.
Manufacturers specs only account for regular driving. I mean how many people actually hit the target fuel mileage or do everything according to rpa standards? Drive under 90kmh? So when you figure in the different driving style, mods to car, ect.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1791 posts
748 upvotes
Montreal
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 4:51 am
Manufacturers specs only account for regular driving. I mean how many people actually hit the target fuel mileage or do everything according to rpa standards? Drive under 90kmh? So when you figure in the different driving style, mods to car, ect.
To be honest I think the manufactures knows those standards a bunch of BS that nobody follows, and they will spec their oil requirement accordingly. I remember seeing some study with actual oil analysis, that conventional oil holds up just as well up to a certain amount of kilometers. But if the recommended oil change interval is close to 10k, then synthetic is probably required anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4719 posts
1201 upvotes
Space
I run my synthetic about 7500-8000km before changing. I buy it when it goes on sale ( for example currently Napa has 1L Synthetic for 3.30$). So it doesn't cost significantly more then conventional. What I do like that I get with synthetic is the easier winter start ups, quieter engine and better fuel economy ( in my case I save 1-2L per 100KM on syn ). It's never black at 8000km... atleast mine isn't.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27662 posts
3806 upvotes
Ottawa
jzmtl wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:23 am
Oil turning black means it has gotten dirty. Primarily from combustion byproducts but dirty nonetheless. Dirty is not good. Oil is the cooling and lubricating fluid in the engine (yes, it cools bearing surfaces as well as lubricating them). Any dirt will lessen the lubricating ability. Yes, a filter will take out some dirt, but only so much.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Apr 18, 2011
258 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
Auto Guru Tim Gilles, Professor of Santa Barbara City College in his 1999 book (ISBN: 0-8273-7354--6) Automotive Service - Inspection, Maintenance, and Repair says following about the two oils in question and the change interval:
Please see the attached picture.
Images
  • Synthetic.jpg
Feb 7, 2004
403 posts
92 upvotes
Haldimand
Yes synthetic is better is almost every way. This has been known for years but people still like to debate it for some reason. That being said, there are certainly different quality levels of synthetic depending on the base stock used but overall synthetic is objectively better for your engine in many ways. Whether you think it is worth the extra cost is what is subjective.

For those that require a source I will link an independent report published in May of this year.

https://ilma.org/ILMA/ILMA-News/Industr ... eport.aspx
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27662 posts
3806 upvotes
Ottawa
Labrie wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:43 am
Yes synthetic is better is almost every way. This has been known for years but people still like to debate it for some reason. That being said, there are certainly different quality levels of synthetic depending on the base stock used but overall synthetic is objectively better for your engine in many ways. Whether you think it is worth the extra cost is what is subjective.

For those that require a source I will link an independent report published in May of this year.

https://ilma.org/ILMA/ILMA-News/Industr ... eport.aspx
There has never been debate over the benefits of synthetic over petroleum based lubricants, only over change intervals.
Key statement "however, there does not appear to be anything surprising in either AAA’s findings".
It does not, in any way suggest or recommend or imply that the oil change interval should be exceeded from what the vehicle manufacturers says.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1451 posts
261 upvotes
Ontario
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 5:32 am
I run my synthetic about 7500-8000km before changing. I buy it when it goes on sale ( for example currently Napa has 1L Synthetic for 3.30$). So it doesn't cost significantly more then conventional. What I do like that I get with synthetic is the easier winter start ups, quieter engine and better fuel economy ( in my case I save 1-2L per 100KM on syn ). It's never black at 8000km... atleast mine isn't.
I never experienced or heard this kind of fuel savings with synthetic oil. What kind of a car are you driving?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12313 posts
1270 upvotes
Toronto
20k OCI.
Conventional won't cut it.
Feb 7, 2004
403 posts
92 upvotes
Haldimand
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:27 am
There has never been debate over the benefits of synthetic over petroleum based lubricants, only over change intervals.
Key statement "however, there does not appear to be anything surprising in either AAA’s findings".
It does not, in any way suggest or recommend or imply that the oil change interval should be exceeded from what the vehicle manufacturers says.
How can you possibly make a statement that there has never been a debate over the benefits of synthetic oil? It used to be debated all the time. When I worked in the industry I'd hear it from customers all the time. Oil is oil, it's just marketing to get you to spend more, blah blah blah. It's not simply a debate about extending your OCI.
There's other factors like reduced engine wear and improved fuel economy.

There's no reason to expect an indepedent body to tell people to go against their manfactorer's recommendations. That would be incurring a huge responsibility on their part. When it comes to OCI you have to consider if you're in warranty period or not. There are oils made specifically for extended drain intervals by various manufactures if that's really what you want and they provide a guarantee to back it up. For example I've ran Amsoil in my car for years and change it once a year. My truck has an OCI of 16k KM. Technically I could run any oil I want and I would still retain warranty only changing it once a year but why would I want to risk it?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16168 posts
1023 upvotes
Woodbridge
I use Synthetic because of how I drive, I like to have fun and not going to risk it to save a few bucks.

I use Castrol 0W-30 (Made in Belgium) for my 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD. I like to think of it as my AWD 370Z. LOL

My 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring uses Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series.

Both are 7k/5 months OCI.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27662 posts
3806 upvotes
Ottawa
Labrie wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 5:02 pm
How can you possibly make a statement that there has never been a debate over the benefits of synthetic oil? It used to be debated all the time. When I worked in the industry I'd hear it from customers all the time. Oil is oil, it's just marketing to get you to spend more, blah blah blah. It's not simply a debate about extending your OCI.
There's other factors like reduced engine wear and improved fuel economy.

There's no reason to expect an indepedent body to tell people to go against their manfactorer's recommendations. That would be incurring a huge responsibility on their part. When it comes to OCI you have to consider if you're in warranty period or not. There are oils made specifically for extended drain intervals by various manufactures[/b] if that's really what you want and they provide a guarantee to back it up. For example I've ran Amsoil in my car for years and change it once a year. My truck has an OCI of 16k KM. Technically I could run any oil I want and I would still retain warranty only changing it once a year but why would I want to risk it?

I believe I said "debate over the benefits of synthetic over petroleum based lubricants" meaning in this forums specifically. Everyone agrees that synthetics are somewhat beneficial.
The improved mileage comes from lower viscosity as opposed to synthetic lubricant only. 0W-20 petroleum oil has the same fuel saving ability as synthetic.
The big debate is oil change intervals and whether or not you should go one, two or 4 times what the vehicle and engine manufacturer recommends. The "various manufactures" you mention would be the manufacturers of the lubricant as opposed to the vehicle builders?