Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4101 posts
148 upvotes
Peterborough
bembol wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 5:42 pm
I use Synthetic because of how I drive, I like to have fun and not going to risk it to save a few bucks.

I use Castrol 0W-30 (Made in Belgium) for my 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD. I like to think of it as my AWD 370Z. LOL

My 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring uses Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series.

Both are 7k/5 months OCI.
Why do you use different brands of the same grade?
PSN ID: SaabFanatic
Feb 7, 2004
396 posts
90 upvotes
Haldimand
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 5:49 pm
I believe I said "debate over the benefits of synthetic over petroleum based lubricants" meaning in this forums specifically. Everyone agrees that synthetics are somewhat beneficial.
The improved mileage comes from lower viscosity as opposed to synthetic lubricant only. 0W-20 petroleum oil has the same fuel saving ability as synthetic.
The big debate is oil change intervals and whether or not you should go one, two or 4 times what the vehicle and engine manufacturer recommends. The "various manufactures" you mention would be the manufacturers of the lubricant as opposed to the vehicle builders?
Yes manufacturers of lubricant. Mobil 1, Castrol and Amsoil (I'm sure others as well) all make synthetic oil lines that are guaranteed for at least 15,000 miles or once a year OCI. They all however recommend that if your vehicle is still under a manufactures warranty that you follow their direction in terms of OCI. Vehicle warranty is usually not correctly explained to customers. They cannot outright deny a claim for not following their service schedules or performing your own maintenance. They must prove that said part failed directly due to your lack of maintenance or use of incorrect products.

Pretty soon you won't have much of a choice anyway. A lot of manufactures now have what I would consider extended drain intervals along with synthetic factory fill. Gone is the 5000km oil change. VW have had 16,000km OCI for over a decade along with most german makes. GM's dexos spec is synthetic. A lot of imports like Toytota and Mitsubishi switched to 0w-20 years ago which you would be hard pressed to find in a non-synthetic form. The same is becoming true for transmissions. More and more are considered non-serviceable with "for life" fluids.
Nov 18, 2010
536 posts
215 upvotes
Vancouver
My CRV had 350K when I sold it with no issues.
90% highway driving..... 10k per oil change with conventional oil.

Was gonna to use Synthetic, but decided to save some money.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3331 posts
547 upvotes
Alberta
iPhoneSTER wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:40 pm
My CRV had 350K when I sold it with no issues.
90% highway driving..... 10k per oil change with conventional oil.

Was gonna to use Synthetic, but decided to save some money.
I had a Mustang GT that had almost 300,000kms on it. Ran on 100% conventional oil and never had any engine problems when I sold it. My current Honda Odyssey with 98K and Civic Si with 125K also run on 100% conventional oil. Oil changes are done at 7500 kms.
Jul 14, 2002
773 posts
141 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 1:12 am
How many of the pragmatic drivers swear by synthetic vs regular? I phrase it that way because s lot of the parts we put on our cars are just frankly overkill and the regular stuff will do fine according to some. In the rotor and brakes thread soneone said yellow stuff is good but more a product of effective marketing. by that logic isn't conventional also good enough for most people? Its akin to an f1 team spending untold amounts of money to gain a few tenths.

I looked at the price difference of say regular oil and good stuff like rotella made by shell, you can do 2-3 oil changes with the regular stuff. the popular opinion of with synthetics you will get greater mileage hence less changes and may even be more cost effective but why blue selectively apply the logic of marketing spiel to other parts and not oil because most of the belief is founded on manufacturers claims.

Let's face it. 10k on regular vs synth the oil is going to be black as tar. are there any anecdotal experience from soneone without an agenda sending in their oil samples and getting it tested? My point is after 10k the oil is still lubricating may be a little less than synth but is isn't like no oil at all.
i've switched all my cars from conventional to synthetic from similar reasons as other posters here mentioned.
cutting down the oil change frequency by half & easier starts in the winter.
used to run conventional on all, but just got tired of doing frequent oil changes + save the env.! =)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16047 posts
999 upvotes
Woodbridge
Tha_Doggg wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:00 pm
Why do you use different brands of the same grade?
I always wanted to try Amsoil and just got the Civic so it's an excuse to spend a bit more on my new girl. Been uso my the Castrol since 2003.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4639 posts
1163 upvotes
Space
Hyundai Santa Fe SUV V6 3.3L. I drive 75000km a year, I've tested this vigorously myself. On average it's a 1L per 100km savings.
shoppingkart wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 12:07 pm
I never experienced or heard this kind of fuel savings with synthetic oil. What kind of a car are you driving?
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13479 posts
3202 upvotes
Ottawa
dantey wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 11:59 pm
i've switched all my cars from conventional to synthetic from similar reasons as other posters here mentioned.
used to run conventional on all, but just got tired of doing frequent oil changes + save the env.! =)
Synthetic oil does not make winter starting easier...it's the viscosity.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2279 posts
465 upvotes
Mississauga
I use synthetic in my vehicle because that's what the manufacturer specifies. I also go by the oil life monitor for change intervals. Works out to roughly twice a year (or about every 6,000 km).
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2646 posts
159 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:51 am
Hyundai Santa Fe SUV V6 3.3L. I drive 75000km a year, I've tested this vigorously myself. On average it's a 1L per 100km savings.
You had 7 oil changes on your car . Unless it was all done at the same time of year . I would be hard to belive 1l per 100 by oil alone .
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13479 posts
3202 upvotes
Ottawa
mrweather wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:45 am
I use synthetic in my vehicle because that's what the manufacturer specifies. I also go by the oil life monitor for change intervals. Works out to roughly twice a year (or about every 6,000 km).
Your OLM is very conservative, as 6k falls within the dealership's suggested interval; which is a big scam.
Obviously, driving habit and environmental conditions are a factor, but the my OLM will advise a change well pass 6k.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4141 posts
2204 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:11 am
Synthetic oil does not make winter starting easier...it's the viscosity.
That is incorrect.

Synthetic oil absolutely does make starting easier as the pour point is always lower with the same viscosity synthetic vs conventional. Synthetic also has lower kinematic viscosity (resistance to flow) vs a conventional of the same viscosity. The lower the temperature the greater the difference. Only when oil temp reaches over 50 Celsius does the resistance to flow (cSt) narrow compares to a synthetic.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26956 posts
3456 upvotes
Ottawa
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:51 am
How did you come to that conclusion? Changed oil every tank full of gas?
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26956 posts
3456 upvotes
Ottawa
dantey wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 11:59 pm
The type of oil does not matter in Winter, it is the viscosity (0W-20 vs 10W-30 etc)
Also, no synthetic oil manufacturer will tell you to extend the oil change intervals form what the vehicle manufacturer states. The will imply it can go longer but they will not say to do it.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous