Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
ottofly wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:52 am
That is incorrect.

Synthetic oil absolutely does make starting easier as the pour point is always lower with the same viscosity synthetic vs conventional. Synthetic also has lower kinematic viscosity (resistance to flow) vs a conventional of the same viscosity. The lower the temperature the greater the difference. Only when oil temp reaches over 50 Celsius does the resistance to flow (cSt) narrow compares to a synthetic.
vkizzle is correct.
A pour out of a bottle does not in any way represent what happens in an engine when the fluid is being pumped by a positive displacement pump.
Here is a video, although not scientific, that demonstrates the pour of both types of oil in cold weather.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:32 am
Your OLM is very conservative, as 6k falls within the dealership's suggested interval; which is a big scam.
Obviously, driving habit and environmental conditions are a factor, but the my OLM will advise a change well pass 6k.
OLM is based on many things, mileage being only one. Starting stopping, engine temperatures etc all play a role in determining the life remaining in the oils.
mrweather may do a lot of short trips without allowing the engine to heat up or.a lot of stop and goes or even a lot of idling, which is an oil killer too.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4409 posts
2753 upvotes
Montreal
^^ Not sure if you're serious with that video. I thought you were one of the credible posters here.

If you think synthetics have the same kinematic resistance at cold engine startup vs a conventional of the same viscosity you better go do more research. I won't spend any more time arguing this, just go to Mobil1 website or any other oil manufacturer and pull up the specs for a conventional 5w-30 vs their synthetic 5w-30 and see the cSt @ 40c. The kinematic resistance at 40c and lower is always less with a synthetic and I'm frankly shocked that you would even question this. Mobil 1 is telling you that their synthetic has less resistance than conventional @ 40c. At below zero the difference is even greater.

Mobil 1 extended performance

Technical details

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity @ 100 ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 10.6
Viscosity, @ 40 ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 59.8
Viscosity Index 169
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.8
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.0
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -40
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
Density @ 15.6 ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

Mobile 1 Super Conventional

API Service Classification SN
Gravity, API 32.9
Specific Gravity 0.8607
Pour Point, °C (°F) -36(-33)
Flash Point, °C (°F), ASTM D 92 221(430)
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C 63.95
cSt at 100°C 10.7
CCS, cP 6,080 @ -30ºC
MRV, cP 26,800 @ -35ºC
Viscosity Index 158
Nov 13, 2016
49 posts
7 upvotes
What if you only drive your car only 10 kms per day (to and from go station)? I use synthetic oil on a 2007 Camry which has over 200k km. The sticker says I should come in for an oil change prior to x date and x km. Do I need to do the oil change prior to x date? Or can I just do it at x km? Doing it at x km would mean maybe only one oil change in a year. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15842 posts
4732 upvotes
Ottawa
ottofly wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:43 am
^^ Not sure if you're serious with that video. I thought you were one of the credible posters here.

If you think synthetics have the same kinematic resistance at cold engine startup vs a conventional of the same viscosity you better go do more research. I won't spend any more time arguing this, just go to Mobil1 website or any other oil manufacturer and pull up the specs for a conventional 5w-30 vs their synthetic 5w-30 and see the cSt @ 40c. The kinematic resistance at 40c and lower is always less with a synthetic and I'm frankly shocked that you would even question this. Mobil 1 is telling you that their synthetic has less resistance than conventional @ 40c. At below zero the difference is even greater.

Mobil 1 extended performance

Technical details

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity @ 100 ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 10.6
Viscosity, @ 40 ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 59.8
Viscosity Index 169
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.8
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.0
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -40
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
Density @ 15.6 ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

Mobile 1 Super Conventional

API Service Classification SN
Gravity, API 32.9
Specific Gravity 0.8607
Pour Point, °C (°F) -36(-33)
Flash Point, °C (°F), ASTM D 92 221(430)
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C 63.95
cSt at 100°C 10.7
CCS, cP 6,080 @ -30ºC
MRV, cP 26,800 @ -35ºC
Viscosity Index 158
Go compare a 5w30 syn against a 5w20 conventional and come back with your Google knowledge!
Proves my point that viscosity is the factor and not the additives from syn.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
ottofly wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:43 am

..... I won't spend any more time arguing this, just go to Mobil1 website.........
Here is what I said...... "Here is a video, although not scientific, that demonstrates the pour of both types of oil in cold weather. ". Just a guy doing a demo in his back yard.
I did not go to a synthetic oil manufacturers website to get sold the benefits of their product. :)
I also never said synthetics were not good.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Jul 17th, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
jsquared21 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:12 am
What if you only drive your car only 10 kms per day (to and from go station)? I use synthetic oil on a 2007 Camry which has over 200k km. The sticker says I should come in for an oil change prior to x date and x km. Do I need to do the oil change prior to x date? Or can I just do it at x km? Doing it at x km would mean maybe only one oil change in a year. Thanks.
Short drives are worse for your oil than long ones. On start up your oil often gets diluted by gasoline. Short drives do not heat the engine up enough to "boil off" this gas and the oil remains diluted thus reducing the lubricating qualities. Your OEM change interval should be observed (not necessarily the sticker as the sticker is often the shop suggestion not the OEM).
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4409 posts
2753 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:17 am
Go compare a 5w30 syn against a 5w20 conventional and come back with your Google knowledge!
Proves my point that viscosity is the factor and not the additives from syn.
Are you a troll or just plain ignorant? Obviously a 5w-20 conventional will flow better than a 5w-30 synthetic, it's a much thinner oil. If only a 5w-30 is spec'd (or any viscosity) for a vehicle the synthetic will flow much better than a conventional at startup making your claim of 'synthetic oil does not make winter starting easier...it's the viscosity' totally false. Argue with facts all you want. Then again, moronic posts are always expected of you. But keep making a fool out of yourself....
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4409 posts
2753 upvotes
Montreal
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:27 am
Here is what I said...... "Here is a video, although not scientific, that demonstrates the pour of both types of oil in cold weather. ". Just a guy doing a demo in his back yard.
I did not go to a synthetic oil manufacturers website to get sold the benefits of their product. :)
I also never said synthetics were not good.
lol, Coach, you're credibility is slipping. You just agreed with false info. Where else other than the manufactures data sheets do you suggest I go for hard specific data? You tube like you did?
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 17th, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed inappropriate content
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15842 posts
4732 upvotes
Ottawa
ottofly wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:12 am
Are you a troll or just plain ignorant? Obviously a 5w-20 conventional will flow better than a 5w-30 synthetic, it's a much thinner oil. If only a 5w-30 is spec'd (or any viscosity) for a vehicle the synthetic will flow much better than a conventional at startup making your claim of 'synthetic oil does not make winter starting easier...it's the viscosity' totally false. Argue with facts all you want. Then again, moronic posts are always expected of you. But keep making a fool out of yourself....
Are you on meds?
You just proved that my point, that viscosity is the factor and not the synthetic oil itself! LMAO
Sep 29, 2008
784 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:46 am
Are you on meds?
You just proved that my point, that viscosity is the factor and not the synthetic oil itself! LMAO
I don't think you quite understand what he's trying to say. If you take the same weight oil in conventional and synthetic formats, you'll find that the synthetic will be less viscous than the conventional. This is how synthetics help with cold starts and colder weather. The viscosity on the synthetic will be much lower than the conventional in colder temps therefore allowing it to flow easier than the conventional.

You're interchanging functional weight and viscosity in your posts. You can't do that, you've got to start with the same weight oil in which viscosity is affected by temperatures.

See video below.

Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1950 posts
289 upvotes
synthetic because I use latest technology wherever possible in my life..... and unless you go to dealer, synthetic does not cost you an arm and leg
jugs of mobil 1 and PP are on sale very often in Canadian Tire so why not....
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4409 posts
2753 upvotes
Montreal
amkorp wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:01 am
I don't think you quite understand what he's trying to say. If you take the same weight oil in conventional and synthetic formats, you'll find that the synthetic will be less viscous than the conventional. This is how synthetics help with cold starts and colder weather. The viscosity on the synthetic will be much lower than the conventional in colder temps therefore allowing it to flow easier than the conventional.

You're interchanging functional weight and viscosity in your posts. You can't do that, you've got to start with the same weight oil in which viscosity is affected by temperatures.

Thank you. He knows exactly what I'm talking about, he's just having trouble accepting his information is totally false.
Oct 16, 2007
983 posts
240 upvotes
Although synthetic costs more, I dont drive as often so I go with synthetic changes via mileage intervals. This works out cheaper in the long run for me because I dont have to change oil out via date as synthetic doesnt breakdown like conventional.
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.