Computers & Electronics

System Building: Mid-range Gaming CPU/Mobo/GPU Price/Performance Sweet Spots?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2011 9:21 pm
Tags:
None
May 10, 2006
433 posts
3 upvotes

System Building: Mid-range Gaming CPU/Mobo/GPU Price/Performance Sweet Spots?

Need core components for a new gaming PC. This should be a capable (but not cutting edge) machine not needing serious upgrades for a couple of years, if possible.

Budget: Variable, but definitely want to spend as little as possible and hit the current price/performance sweet spots. Edit: $500 max for Mobo/CPU/GPU? And happy to entertain less.

I have already:
- Case
- Optical drive/floppy
- HDs, but low on space and would like to pick up another for redundancy
- Ram - 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3-1066 or Corsair DDR3-1334, depending on which I decide to cannibalize

I need:
- CPU - don't care if it's AMD or Intel; what's best value in the current cycle?
- Mobo - don't need Xfire/SLI; needs to support RAM I already have; probably don't want micro ATX so I have spare expansion slots/good air flow between cards; LAN on board; sound doesn't have to be, but hard to get away from it (have an Audigy 2zs collecting dust right now--that would do fine if Windows 7 supports it)
- GPU - again, couldn't care less about nVidia vs. ATi--just want best value
- HD - SSD just isn't in the budget right now I don't think, sorry; probably just want to pick up a sweet-spot behemoth unless you can sell me on SSD without breaking my budget (how big of a difference does running Windows and your active game on an SSD make?)
- OS - Windows 7 Home Premium OEM, I presume

Possibles:
- Monitor - best real estate for the $, doesn't have to be a day 1 purchase--would like something bigger than my current 20.1"
- Mouse - something with a couple of extra buttons for gaming, but modestly priced (not paying $100 for a gaming mouse); I can't stand those hulking LG mice, either

Thanks for your opinions! :D
9 replies
Feb 26, 2008
355 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
CPU/Mobo: Intel i2500K + P67 motherboard combo for less than 400$
GPU: for a non-SLI/Crossfire gaming setup the price/performance sweetspot IMO is the Radeon 6950 (around 250$)
HD: 1.5TB Caviar black for 100$ is a good performer for a mechanical hard drive. Get a SSD down the road and use the caviar for storage.

Hope it helps!
May 10, 2006
433 posts
3 upvotes
Got to admit, $400 + $250 was a little more than I was hoping to spend on CPU/Mobo/GPU. I admit I should perhaps re-evaluate my definition of "mid-range". But I wanted to stay away from the term "low end", as that in my mind means gimped products.

Say if we were to limit CPU/Mobo/GPU to $400-500, are there decent options? Bear in mind I'm coming from an X3 720 & 8800GS whose performance I'm pleased with, though the 8800GS is definitely nearing the end of it's life if I want to play the newest games at medium+ settings. (Please note this won't be a direct upgrade; I'm actually keeping my old system. So I do need a completely new mobo/CPU.)
Feb 26, 2008
355 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
Jonathan Bones wrote: Got to admit, $400 + $250 was a little more than I was hoping to spend on CPU/Mobo/GPU. I admit I should perhaps re-evaluate my definition of "mid-range". But I wanted to stay away from the term "low end", as that in my mind means gimped products.

Say if we were to limit CPU/Mobo/GPU to $400-500, are there decent options? Bear in mind I'm coming from an X3 720 & 8800GS whose performance I'm pleased with, though the 8800GS is definitely nearing the end of it's life if I want to play the newest games at medium+ settings. (Please note this won't be a direct upgrade; I'm actually keeping my old system. So I do need a completely new mobo/CPU.)

In such a situation, I would've usually suggested a decent AMD quad-core build since they're much cheaper than their intel counterparts but now that the sandy bridge chips are back on sale I'd suggest getting a cheaper intel dual core chip like the i2100 that'll beat a phenom2 x4 955 in most games. You can check out a comparison here: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=289

A Core i3 2100 and a decent entry level P67 board should run you about 230$
Regarding the GPU, the new Nvidia 560Ti should give you almost the same performance as a Radeon 6950. You should be able to find one for 200-220$.

Such a build would be close to 500$ with taxes and shipping.

edit: one thing to keep in mind tho. The intel non-"K" chips can't be overclocked to any useful level. I don't know if you wanted to OC your rig in the first place.
May 10, 2006
433 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks, I really appreciate the info. I've just been out of it long enough that I don't know what one really contrasts in CPUs anymore. I'd figured out the AMDs for my last upgrade, but wasn't sure if they still had the lead value/performance-wise.
krusty50 wrote: edit: one thing to keep in mind tho. The intel non-"K" chips can't be overclocked to any useful level. I don't know if you wanted to OC your rig in the first place.
Nah, too much trouble. Heh. I just like to build 'em and leave 'em alone till upgrade time.
Jun 26, 2006
660 posts
32 upvotes
if you're not ocing, sandy bridge with H67 will save you some money

quick summary:
H67: cheaper, you can use sandy bridges integrated graphics if you wanted, less overclocking freedom
P67: more $$, you can't use the integrated graphics, best for overclocking
i3 2100: ~$120, if you can spend more, i5 2400: ~185

mobo: really depends on what features you can afford to give up (more features=more money), but stick with good brands like gigabyte, asus, msi

graphics: [amd 6850/nvidia gtx 460 1gb (not the SE version)]: ~$180 or less when it's on sale/with rebates. this range is the best bang/buck right now
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal

Nice link. Considering the 500$ limit, I would suggest the OP stick to the very good/great lineup. Trying to go with a Sandybridge CPU unbalances the build and cuts in to the GPU. I always offer the same advice to gamers: your GPU should cost more than your CPU.
May 10, 2006
433 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for the awesome link! Wish I'd known of it before. Hate to clutter up the forum with another personal system building thread, but it's always awesome to get personal advice when you're out of the loop.

Really appreciate it, everyone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)