T220 - Working from home

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2018 8:34 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2016
225 posts
112 upvotes

T220 - Working from home

I've started a new job recently, and part of my arrangement is I work from home at times, I also go into work, but have no permanent desk. We have to book our hoteling desks in advance. Does this constitute me as someone eligiable for the T220? I've tried getting my employer to sign this, they mentioned this was only available for "telecommuters", However, that's what i feel like I am. I don't have a permanent desk, I work from home, and in the office possibly twice a week. I'm very new to this so apologize for any assumptions I'm making here.
3 replies
Nov 25, 2017
399 posts
210 upvotes
Only if employer will sign it. It is eligible situation for sure. When it comes down to it though, it is not worth it in your situation, the savings on your income tax will be negligible. Maybe you would get $50-200 back at most per year.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8060 posts
1329 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
You must meet y one of the following conditions:

- The work space is where you mainly (more than 50% of the time) do your work.
- You use the work space only to earn your employment income. You also have to use it on a regular and continuous basis for meeting clients, customers, or other people in the course of your employment duties.

Then you have to have your employer sign the T2200.

If you are a salaried employee, you can deduct the part of your costs that relates to your work space, such as the cost of electricity, heating, and maintenance.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2016
225 posts
112 upvotes
don242 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 4:35 pm
You must meet y one of the following conditions:

- The work space is where you mainly (more than 50% of the time) do your work.
- You use the work space only to earn your employment income. You also have to use it on a regular and continuous basis for meeting clients, customers, or other people in the course of your employment duties.

Then you have to have your employer sign the T2200.

If you are a salaried employee, you can deduct the part of your costs that relates to your work space, such as the cost of electricity, heating, and maintenance.
The first point makes sense, its a home office. I do about 60% of my job at home during, rest it leisure activities. Appreciate the clarification