Personal Finance

T4A Scholarship - Do I include it on my return?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2009 12:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2922 posts
270 upvotes

T4A Scholarship - Do I include it on my return?

It's my understanding that if I claim the Tuition credit, my scholarships are not taxable... So am I right by not entering the amount from my T4A on my return, or do I still have to claim it somewhere?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7161 posts
673 upvotes
Scholarships have thier own tax line, and when i last claimed, it was the first 2 or 3000$ was non taxible, it may have changed since then.
Dec 22, 2005
751 posts
4 upvotes
Dundas
rocking23nf wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 3:13 pm
Scholarships have thier own tax line, and when i last claimed, it was the first 2 or 3000$ was non taxible, it may have changed since then.
It has changed since 2006, I believe, scholarships (any amount) are not taxed anymore.
Apr 30, 2008
426 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
If you received the tax slips, and all amounts are in clearly numbered boxes - just input it and let the software figure out if that income will be taxable or not. It's not just the taxable income that has to be reported.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
All scholarships are not taxable but you have to report the income. Your tax program software should be able to determine that it's scholarship/bursaries hence non taxable income. That is one thing I liked about Harper he made it all non-taxable when it used to be only up to $3000 was non-taxable.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1620 posts
257 upvotes
Brampton
I also got a T4A from Osap for a grant they gave me which is more than $500, will that be taxable? or is it also exempt under this clause.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2922 posts
270 upvotes
badmus wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 4:35 pm
I also got a T4A from Osap for a grant they gave me which is more than $500, will that be taxable? or is it also exempt under this clause.
It's exempt.. but only if your a full time student claiming the Tuition credit. Although I don't think yours is taxable anyways, since the first $500 isn't taxable.

The CRA site isn't clear.. all it says is:
"The full amount of scholarships, fellowships, or bursaries that are received by you as a student with respect to your enrolment in a program that entitles you to claim the education amount are not taxable and are no longer reported as income on your tax return.

If you are not eligible for the education amount, report on line 130 only the part of the post-secondary scholarships, fellowships or bursaries that is more than $500. "

But it doesn't say where to enter it if you are eligible for the education amount. That's why I ask. It says it's no longer reported as income.
May 24, 2008
183 posts
Canada
The Conservative government eliminated all taxes on scholarships, grants, bursaries etc. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1369 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
CorSter wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 4:42 pm
But it doesn't say where to enter it if you are eligible for the education amount. That's why I ask. It says it's no longer reported as income.
If you are eligible for the education amount you do not enter scholarships, grants & bursaries amount from your T4A on line 130. It does not need to be entered on your return at all. However, for your own sake your can enter the info into your tax software; it will recognize the footnote code 05 and not add these amounts onto line 130 (other income).
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1221 posts
81 upvotes
Rishi wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 7:05 pm
If you are eligible for the education amount you do not enter scholarships, grants & bursaries amount from your T4A on line 130. It does not need to be entered on your return at all. However, for your own sake your can enter the info into your tax software; it will recognize the footnote code 05 and not add these amounts onto line 130 (other income).
Knowing that it will not be considered income, are there any advantages in including the scholarships? I noticed it does show the total amount of scholarships on the printed tax return regardless of if it will count as income or not. (I ask for the sake of my brother who goes to a professional, the extra slips would add to the cost of the service)
× < >