• Apr 20th, 2006 12:18 am
Tags:
None
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto

T5

Do we always get a T5 from a bank? I can't find mine and I don't recall if I'd ever received one. What should I do??
4 replies
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
kaycee8877 wrote:you get a t-5 from a bank if you earned interest on your account/GICs etc...and most banks will only issue one if the interest amount is more than say $50

if you didnt get one and think you should have, call your bank and find out
Thanks, I'll give the bank a call tomorrow. Are you saying if it is under $50 we don't need to claim it when filing the tax return?
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I think you're right. The difficult thing is for me to produce a correct interest amt to claim.
Sep 21, 2005
183 posts
81 upvotes
The CRA says in the instructions that you might not receive a T5 if the income is less than 50. However you are required to put it in your tax return.
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
but how can I figure out the exact amount to claim? Financial institutions don't start the monthly cycle on the 1st of each month so I can't simply pull out the entire year of statements add add up the interests. A portion of interest from Jan statement is for last Dec. What's the general rule to use to figure out the interest to claim? How do other people do it?