• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2017 4:17 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1788 posts
1259 upvotes

Tablet for kids (7 & 5)

My kids have a Leapfrog, but we are thinking about getting them their own tablets that can do Wi-Fi and also use it for educational purposes.

They have school activities they do at home that involves logging into websites.

Prodigy
ABC Mouse
Teach Your Monster to

I think there are more.

Thinking ahead to Christmas and gifts we are trying to avoid buying toys and other things they won't play with come January.

I was looking at getting kid friendly tablets so they can do their school stuff, but also has capabilities they can use as they get older (access to the internet, YouTube, netflix)

Obviously their use will be monitored and Wi-Fi password will be "earned", yadda yadda yadda.

Can you suggest a tablet we can look at that will be good for them to work on, but they can also grow in to.
25 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Schools use ipads
so ipad mini would be a the best choice
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Aug 29, 2017
771 posts
3194 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: Schools use ipads
so ipad mini would be a the best choice
Prodigy does not work properly on the iPad Mini and will give you a warning to that effect. I think the iPad Mini2 is the minimum that you need for Prodigy, but realistically, you should future proof and go at least a step-up from there and pick something that is 8"+ in size, preferably 10".

If STEM is important for you, and I know schools are getting more and more into robotics and coding, you should consider something that works with Lego Boost. I'm waiting for Boost to go on sale.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/device-guide/boost

I think parental control is best on newer Android devices.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
My kids started with Asus , then Nexus 7 and iPad Mini 2. Now iPad Air, iPad Mini 2 screen is too small to them. My old Toshiba laptop is used for Prodigy.
Last edited by Menace on Sep 22nd, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Unfortunately (and I am not an Apple supporter) you need to commit to iPAD. Battery life, consistency and peer pressure wont allow anything else
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Which apps do you recommend for a 5 year old? Mine just started senior kindergarten.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm not sure how it runs on the iPad, Prodigy is a good game on learning math. I don't think it is too early for a 5 years old to learn simple math.
EugW wrote: Which apps do you recommend for a 5 year old? Mine just started senior kindergarten.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16790 posts
12572 upvotes
Markham
BuciMaci wrote: Prodigy does not work properly on the iPad Mini and will give you a warning to that effect. I think the iPad Mini2 is the minimum that you need for Prodigy, but realistically, you should future proof and go at least a step-up from there and pick something that is 8" in size, preferably 10".

If STEM is important for you, and I know schools are getting more and more into robotics and coding, you should consider something that works with Lego Boost. I'm waiting for Boost to go on sale.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/device-guide/boost

I think parental control is best on newer Android devices.
Is mind storm too easy that’s why you are waiting for Boost?
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16790 posts
12572 upvotes
Markham
Isn’t full size iPad too heavy for 5?
Aug 29, 2017
771 posts
3194 upvotes
smartie wrote: Is mind storm too easy that’s why you are waiting for Boost?
Mindstorms is aesthetically geared towards boys with "mean looking" builds, whereas Boost is relatively neutral and more welcoming. Since I haven't coded in either, it doesn't matter which one to start off with.

But, to go back to the OP's question, Boost's website lists compatible devices.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1788 posts
1259 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote: Seriously man. My (ex) idiot friend let his son play on the ipad all day every day since he was 3. Kid is more disassociated with reality than an LSD user.
My kids are extremely active with 9 and 5 hours of gymnastics per week, an hour of piano, and homework.

Their computer and tablet usage is monitored and I'd much rather have them on Prodigy, ABC Mouse, etc rather than watching Sponge Bob and Sofia the First.

My parenting skills are up to par and they don't get free rein on the World Wide Web.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The iPad has replaced Saturday Morning cartoons and Commander Tom

My kids have, Tae Kwon Do twice a week, swimming lessons, Chinese School and piano lessons.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions. Prodigy seems like it may be best for a bit older kids, but age 5 seems fine to start I guess.

I will check out Fruit Ninja Academy as well.
smartie wrote: Isn’t full size iPad too heavy for 5?
Nah, they're pretty light.
smartie wrote: Isn’t full size iPad too heavy for 5?
Nah, if you mean a 9.7". The iPad Air 2 especially is pretty light. The new iPad is a bit heavier but not heavy at just 1 lb.
Gee wrote: The iPad has replaced Saturday Morning cartoons and Commander Tom

My kids have, Tae Kwon Do twice a week, swimming lessons, Chinese School and piano lessons.
Don't bother explaining yourself. It will just serve to feed the trolls I'm sure.
Last edited by EugW on Sep 23rd, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
Get something less than $150, kids will drop it, sit on it, spill stuff on it.
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It always aggravates me when parents on these threads tell someone how to be a better parent. Op asked what tablet he/she should get their kids. They didnt ask for our opinions on screen time.

As others have posted, i suggest ipad minis. They are quite reasonably priced on the apple refurb store at the moment. Dont forget ebates. Yes, the sticker price is much higher than android tablets but they’ll serve you well for a couple years easy. Get those rubber cases on amazon and you’re ready to rock.
No fanboyism here. I only pledge allegiance to the hotness. - Flossy Carter
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Drthorne wrote: Get something less than $150, kids will drop it, sit on it, spill stuff on it.
I got some ugly but really thick $10 foam case from eBay, and they really work well to protect the iPads. They look like crap and I suspect when the kids get older they won't tolerate them as much but for the time being it's a good solution. Well at least for drops. If they sat on it or dropped it in the sink it would be a problem of course, but luckily that hasn't even been close to being an issue so far. But drops are a real issue.
Feb 17, 2012
34 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
Get them a used iPad. Get them a good case and screen cover. Great apps for learning. Compatible to do homework and go onto school site. The iPads are not heavy for the kids. Tried a few non apple products, they were just not as good or as easy for the kid. The mini , in my opinion, is too small.
Didn’t realize this was a parenting site!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Easto wrote: My kids have a Leapfrog, but we are thinking about getting them their own tablets that can do Wi-Fi and also use it for educational purposes.

They have school activities they do at home that involves logging into websites.

Prodigy
ABC Mouse
Teach Your Monster to

I think there are more.

Thinking ahead to Christmas and gifts we are trying to avoid buying toys and other things they won't play with come January.

I was looking at getting kid friendly tablets so they can do their school stuff, but also has capabilities they can use as they get older (access to the internet, YouTube, netflix)

Obviously their use will be monitored and Wi-Fi password will be "earned", yadda yadda yadda.

Can you suggest a tablet we can look at that will be good for them to work on, but they can also grow in to.
I would recommend LG G Pad 8.0 in terms of size, price, function , extra sd slot(2 Tb for video) , support and screen.
Kids love it
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019