Tags:
None
Nov 10, 2013
492 posts
503 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

which tablet for reading and videos?

Hi all,

I know this threads come up every day, but I haven't found the answer to my question.

I need new tablet (ereader?) for reading, browsing and watching movies and youtube.
Probably around 8" screen.

I will not buy Apple product, so no ipads pls.

I see good reviews for Kobo Arc and I understand it's not locked in like Kindle and Nook.
I also read that the latest version cannot be rooted. I normally don't need to root my devices, but I don't know how restricted the interface is...
My favourite video app so far is VLC, looks like it's available for Kobo. Certainly available on 'normal' Android devices.

I'd consider Samsung, never heard a bad word about them.

I tend to buy yesterday's best, not today's hottest hardware. Moore's law anyone..? ;)

Any advice? Brands models? Prices?

Thanks
4 replies
Nov 24, 2014
3 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
staples has the HP 7'' tablet which runs windows 8.1 for $100 on black friday, check it out.
Nov 28, 2013
42 posts
50 upvotes
SHERBROOKE
Kobo Arc 10HD+ is currently 200$ at BestBuy/futureshop. It's a very good deal.
No need to root, it's a basic Android with a couple of non-intrusive preloaded apps.
You will not find such a good screen at that price.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
Dell Venue 7 and Asus Memo Pad HD 7 (or whatever the newest version of it) on sale are around $100, bargain, at most $150. Good battery life, good enough to play most games as well or run any normal app. If you get the Memo Pad then make sure you get the one with 2 GB ram and same with Venue 7, there are certain models that have 1 GB ram instead (which is fine but will run better with 2).

Dell Venue 8 on sale is also less than $200 (and 8" instead of 7" if that makes a huge difference).
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
If you want a satisfying experience, then don't go low end. Make sure that the screen resolution is at least 1280x800. The above-mentioned Kobo Arc certainly looks like a deal, but there is a thread on this forum regarding this tablet and many buyers are finding problems. Still worth investigating, as it has a fabulous screen.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)