Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
838 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC

Tablet won't charge

Not a cell phone, but a tablet. Same adapter/charger so problem should be the same.
My Samsung tablet suddenly won't take a charge. I've tried various chargers and cables but nothing. So I've determined the problem is inside the tablet. On the female connector.
It's just over a year old so the warranty is up.
I've tried wiggling the male end of the charging cord, very, very slightly. Nothing.
It's down to 13%, so I've shut it off until I'm home sometime next week. In Mexico right now. Of course there's a pile of stuff on it that's important. I'm hoping it will hold some charge until I get home so I can transfer the data to my computer.
My wife's tablet had the same problem last year but it was under warranty so sent it away and had it back in a few days.

Does anyone have an idea as to how to kick start it now? I'm sure this problem must come up in phones too.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30729 posts
5153 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you know that the cable and adapter is not the problem, short of taking the tablet apart to check the connector, there is really nothing you can do unless the tablet supports wireless charging.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19304 posts
4380 upvotes
Thornhill
Try looking inside the charging port. Maybe the pin is bent or there is lint in there
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6199 posts
2559 upvotes
Alberta
Try restarting it by holding the power button and the volume down button at the same time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
First, inspect the charging port to see if there's any physical damage. If not, try to clean the port with alcohol - I've seen many times where an apparently dead charging port was just in need of cleaning. If not, then what tablet do you have? Some have replaceable charging ports (repair $50-$100) and some have them directly soldered onto the motherboard where most would consider this not repairable.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25188 posts
10615 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 5:46 pm
some have them directly soldered onto the motherboard where most would consider this not repairable.
This is repairable but it's pretty hard to find someone to actually do it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
838 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
DiceMan wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 5:46 pm
First, inspect the charging port to see if there's any physical damage. If not, try to clean the port with alcohol - I've seen many times where an apparently dead charging port was just in need of cleaning. If not, then what tablet do you have? Some have replaceable charging ports (repair $50-$100) and some have them directly soldered onto the motherboard where most would consider this not repairable.
No real access to the type of alcohol required. Tequila? This may have to wait a few days until I'm home.
I've been very close to the beach, warm, humid, windy, for the past few weeks. Any chance that would have a detrimental affect on the table's charging port?
Btw, it's a Samsung SM-T350.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
poleman wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 9:46 pm
No real access to the type of alcohol required. Tequila? This may have to wait a few days until I'm home.
I've been very close to the beach, warm, humid, windy, for the past few weeks. Any chance that would have a detrimental affect on the table's charging port?
Btw, it's a Samsung SM-T350.
OK, so Samsung Tab A 8" is what I believe the T350 is. Unfortunately, that's a soldered on charging port. As @death_hawk said, it's possible to repair but finding a shop to do it could be difficult because of the high risk in frying the mobo. If you're prepared to accept the risk for the existing data on the tablet then go for it.

Your best hope would be it's just a dirty port and it will work once you get home and clean it. By the way, humid, moist-salty conditions will wreck havoc to electronic devices so I hope you haven't been using it at the beach.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3175 posts
575 upvotes
Markham, ON
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet- if charging doesn't work, most likely the data transfer won't work either. I suggest uploading whatever you have on it now to a cloud. Waiting until you get home isn't going to make a difference, may actually be worse as the battery may officially be dead by then. Never store anything on just a physical drive...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
838 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
DiceMan wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 10:25 pm

Your best hope would be it's just a dirty port and it will work once you get home and clean it. By the way, humid, moist-salty conditions will wreck havoc to electronic devices so I hope you haven't been using it at the beach.
Guilty as charged.
Been on or damn near the beach for a few weeks.
How much do I use it? Think of teen girls and their phones. :facepalm: