Home & Garden

Is it tacky to have a potluck party for housewarming ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2007 3:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa

Is it tacky to have a potluck party for housewarming ?

Hello folks, we just moved into our first house for about 1 month and friends from both sides are clamouring for a house-warming party!

We don't have a BBQ machine yet and the patio is not done either. So basically the party will have to be inside. On my wife's side, we are thinking of inviting about 7 couples so make that 14 + us 2 = 16 for one session. I guess we could break it in half but my wife prefers to bring everyone in that group in at the same time, that way we don't have to do 2 parties and they all know each other so it's easier for everyone.

I am under the impression that for a house-warming party, the host will normally supply and provide food and booze and the guests can just come in and enjoy and celebrate the occasion with the hosts. Obviously with 16 adults in one townhouse and no BBQ machine, this is a formidable task in terms of food. I don't want to go over our budget and i certainly don't want to leave the guests hanging in terms of a lack of food so I have looked at the option of calling a pot-luck party where everyone will bring in a dish and we can make some additional food on our own.

Do you guys think it's tacky to have potluck for house-warming and if so, any ideas to offer ?

Thanks
23 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2005
2058 posts
75 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: thats pretty ghetto.
"bring your own food bish!".
Cant you just go to the dollar store and buy those bags of chips, cookies, and pastries and lay them out on nice plates or something.

That's even more ghetto! :lol:

Why don't you go to like M&M's or something and get a bunch of appetizers and finger foods at least. And there are a ton of other options of things that can be done without a BBQ.

If you can't really afford a house warming though, why don't you just skip it.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Usually, people brings gift for the house warming party. Are you asking your guest to bring food and (expecting) gift to your party?

If you don't expect gift, you can just label it as a normal potluck party.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
gman wrote: Usually, people brings gift for the house warming party. Are you asking your guest to bring food and (expecting) gift to your party?

No I don't expect any gift, obviously if they bring something then we will not turn that down

Still looking over my options, maybe we will have some sort of wine and cheese and have the time around 3 or 4 p.m., that way people know they are not coming for dinner
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
IMO, there is nothing wrong with having a potluck for a housewarming with that many guests. If it was me, I would still be proving the main course if it was a dinner though. It could be as easy as a 2 or 3 frozen lasagnas and ask guests to bring salads and desserts...
Jul 17, 2006
263 posts
3 upvotes
I think anyone who's moved into a new house would not be offended by the potluck suggestion. It's almost like having a new baby... I think suggesting a potluck is reasonable. You can still provide the cheese/dips/vegs/bla/bla/bla. Your family & friends should understand
Jul 9, 2003
371 posts
10 upvotes
Wow small world...I just read either your or your wife's post on WB, I didn't respond there but I will respond here.

Would I do it..no, is it tacky...well kinda.

How about doing what everyone at my work is doing since we have all bought new houses within the last few months.

Have an Open House, and specify either no gifts or "your presence is your gift to us"...kinda cheesy but I have seen it used a couple of times.. You can invite many more people, since people usually only stay about an hour or so...have it on a Sat or Sunday afternoon from like 1-5. Don't worry about serving a full meals or booze just appetizers and beverages.

Meatballs in a crockpot, bakery pizza, meat tray buns, salad, pumpernickle, kielbasa cheese/cracker tray. (These can all be done frugally if you make your own) Cans of soda and bottled water.

This is what some of my co-woekers did that didn't have their backyards and bbq's set up yet.

Good Luck
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2006
1007 posts
376 upvotes
Markham
IMO, it's cheesy if you make it potluck because people will give you gifts. If you do a potluck, make sure you spcify in the invite that no gifts are preferred. Some people will give you something anyways, but that's their choice.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2002
1119 posts
168 upvotes
Waterloo
gman wrote: Usually, people brings gift for the house warming party. Are you asking your guest to bring food and (expecting) gift to your party?

gman's right..people typically bring housewarming gifts or liquor so expecting them to bring food as well probably isn't a good idea. Save the potluck for another time.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
If you can't afford to do it right then wait until you can OR raid the football pot :twisted:
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11978 posts
115 upvotes
It's beyond tacky. You'll offend your guests with your cheapness if you have a potluck for your own housewarming.
Dec 31, 1969
I don't really think potlucks are appropriate for parties. I think they are more appropriate for school events, street paties and fund raisers. Usually the host provides everything.
In my ethnic backround we usually take something to the house. We either take a bottle of like wine, brandy, whisky, sometimes a case of beer or some sort of dessert as like a present for visiting the house. The only time we actually bring some sort of food dish is if we were to say to the host "can i make you anything" and they either would say "sure" or "if you want".
What I suggest you do is doing it buffet style. Just put the food somewhere on a table maybe even the kitchen counter and then have the cust just serve them selves or you can do it more formal if you have a formal dinning room table.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
Diamondog wrote: If you can't afford to do it right then wait until you can OR raid the football pot :twisted:
LOl you should have partaken in that football pool man. I may have a hockey one and let's see where your expertise lies ;-)

Thanks everyone for your input, we have decided to go ahead with the party and make some dishes, it won't be fancy like in the restaurants but it will be something we can call our own and hopefully the guests will appreciate that
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4736 posts
204 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: thats pretty ghetto.
"bring your own food bish!".
Cant you just go to the dollar store and buy those bags of chips, cookies, and pastries and lay them out on nice plates or something.
funkyfr3sh_ wrote: That's even more ghetto! :lol:
+1 lol :)
Please tell me you're joking when you suggest that it's a better idea to serve "dollar store" food to close family/friends rather than requesting a potluck party? :|
Anyways, to the OP....why not just order a couple of party size pizzas and wings?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2004
1213 posts
1 upvote
Ajax
canabiz wrote: Hello folks, we just moved into our first house for about 1 month and friends from both sides are clamouring for a house-warming party!

We don't have a BBQ machine yet and the patio is not done either. So basically the party will have to be inside. On my wife's side, we are thinking of inviting about 7 couples so make that 14 + us 2 = 16 for one session. I guess we could break it in half but my wife prefers to bring everyone in that group in at the same time, that way we don't have to do 2 parties and they all know each other so it's easier for everyone.

I am under the impression that for a house-warming party, the host will normally supply and provide food and booze and the guests can just come in and enjoy and celebrate the occasion with the hosts. Obviously with 16 adults in one townhouse and no BBQ machine, this is a formidable task in terms of food. I don't want to go over our budget and i certainly don't want to leave the guests hanging in terms of a lack of food so I have looked at the option of calling a pot-luck party where everyone will bring in a dish and we can make some additional food on our own.

Do you guys think it's tacky to have potluck for house-warming and if so, any ideas to offer ?

Thanks
whats a bbq machine? do u mean bbq or a spit for roasting a pig?
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
bell02fantasy wrote: whats a bbq machine? do u mean bbq or a spit for roasting a pig?
yes it's a Bar-be-cue...btw, the fee for your football pool entry never arrives :?:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
you basically have a few choices:

1. to keep cost low, have a LUNCH housewarming....finger foods...pasta...that will fill everyone up...and people will bring you gifts.

2. have a potluck but specifically tell your guests to NOT bring any gifts since it's a potluck.

3. order pizza/chicken wings/etc...don't need to prep anything...and you get gifts!

it is GHETTO if:

your guests bring a potluck dish AND buy you housewarming gift.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
i'm amazed at how many of you consider potluck to be 'tacky'

perhaps it depends on your group of friends. we do potlucks with our friends all the time, regardless of the occasion.
there is nothing wrong with having a potluck housewarming. and it doesnt have to be dinner, make it appy's, thats always fun.

the wine and cheese would also be nice, but for that i would supply. and i would think of it being an early evening thing over late afternoon, like 7pm'ish
That's my 2cents worth