• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2018 8:41 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 6, 2018
1 posts

Tailoring Jeans

I'm looking into getting my jeans tailored. I bought them a while ago but have recently changed my dress style. I used to wear baggy clothing, but as I've gotten older, I've noticed baggy doesn't work well for me. I'm hoping to have a tailor alter the style of my jeans. They are currently Straight and Relaxed, I'd like to have them altered to a more suitable Slim fit style.
The waist is sized correctly as well as the inseam is a smidgen too long but manageable.

With this said, how should I go about conveying this to a tailor?
Is there anything specific I need to mention or make known?
Roughly how much should I expect to pay per pair of jeans to have this done (S. Florida, USA)?
As the jeans are in great condition (lightly worn), I'd rather not buy new if I don't have to, especially if the material is quite comfortable.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Inactive User
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7313 posts
1287 upvotes
Unless the jeans are super rare designer stuff that you want to keep for sentimental reason, just buy another pair for now, baggy jeans style may be coming back anyway.

You see, jeans are not the easiest material to work with and they usually require a heavier duty machine to sew so not all tailor will have it. Even if they do, they may end up having to charge quite a bit more for the extra effort and time, which may end up more than the old jeans are worth.

Btw, this is a Canadian site, asking how much service is in S. Florida, USA is odd.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1742 posts
442 upvotes
North York
Go to the mall and find a pair that fits well. Buy it. Take your new pair and your old jeans to the tailor. Ask them to tailor the old jeans to the new pair.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44618 posts
3348 upvotes
Toronto
thericyip wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 4:52 pm
Go to the mall and find a pair that fits well. Buy it. Take your new pair and your old jeans to the tailor. Ask them to tailor the old jeans to the new pair.
Are they able to hem raw denim like N&F's? I've got a couple i want to get hemmed but i don't know where lol.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24227 posts
2163 upvotes
Hamilton
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 27th, 2018 11:59 am
Are they able to hem raw denim like N&F's? I've got a couple i want to get hemmed but i don't know where lol.
Those Chinese $8 hemming places mang
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7324 posts
1137 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jul 27th, 2018 1:19 pm
Their sewing machines are actually strong enough?
New Fashion Shop machine is strong
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 300Mbps unlimited $25
May 9, 2006
531 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
yao416 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2018 1:10 pm
Those Chinese $8 hemming places mang
sorry where is that? I need to cut some of jeans from bottom to fit my size. any recommendation?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24227 posts
2163 upvotes
Hamilton
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2018 8:33 pm
New Fashion Shop machine is strong
If you know you know

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)