• Dec 20th, 2016 9:38 am
Tags:
Dec 30, 1969
826 posts
258 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote:
Dec 18th, 2016 4:08 pm
If it's not recyclable across-the-board then it should be banned
There is actually very few things that are across the board recyclable, It depends on what you consider the 'board'. Each municipality has to build the recycling facilities for specific materials. The process to recycle different materials are not the same. For a while the solo cups(plastic with the recycle sysmbol) were not recyclable in my city same with coffee cups. Compostable cutlery is recylable in some areas and not others.

Just saying what you are suggesting is actually quite difficult to implement.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35328 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto
Funny.. I read an article that McDonalds stopped using paper wrappers b/c it was bad for the environment... So they used Styrofoam! Then they found out those were bad for the environment... so they went back to paper!!!

This was all due to pressure from the public to save the environment
Dec 30, 1969
826 posts
258 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 2:30 am
Funny.. I read an article that McDonalds stopped using paper wrappers b/c it was bad for the environment... So they used Styrofoam! Then they found out those were bad for the environment... so they went back to paper!!!

This was all due to pressure from the public to save the environment
Lots of pressure form the public to recycle, but I don't know if people really know what is going where. Starbucks put up a recycle bin in their stores for their cups. The coffee cups lined with wax that they used were not recyclable in a our city. Unless they were shipping their recycling to another city (which is also bad for the environment), it was either going in the garbage, or worst into the city recycling plants, in which they would actually jam up the machines.

I know a lot people that would try to recycle their coffee cups because they saw Starbucks do it, and we had to educate them that the cups would jam up the machines and cause more work.

Fortunately, they have put on new machine that can handle the cups recently. I just find it interesting how many people think they know the things are going, and feel good a out, but really don't.

I will admit, I didn't know either, until my friend who was on the team that bought in all the recycling waste division for my city educated me. She used to check my recycling and composting to make sure it went on the right area.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel