• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 7:39 pm
[OP]
Banned
Sep 6, 2017
26 posts
3 upvotes

Taken possession of house alarm - what do I do with no master code

We have a Honeywell Vista 15P in our place, but the last owners didn't leave us with any of the security codes.

Is there any way I can still use it, or do we need to install a new alarm system?

Thanks.
22 replies
Oct 14, 2010
779 posts
292 upvotes
Was this system being monitored by an alarm company, or was it a local alarm only? If it was monitored, did it belong to the previous owners, or does the alarm company have any rights to remove it and take it back?

If it was monitored, and you plan on continuing to be monitored, then there is really no need to waste time trying to learn the codes, because the alarm company will just place there own code back on.

I am not familiar with the Honeywell systems, but here is the first link that showed up on a Google search. I once had to get around a locked out DSC panel, and found many procedures on the web that didn't work, but eventually found one that did. I'm sure you will find one as well for your system.
Apr 26, 2003
783 posts
182 upvotes
Have you tried to contact the previous owner and ask for the codes? Had to ask the obvious question first.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5025 posts
1065 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
exrcoupe wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:42 pm
Have you tried to contact the previous owner and ask for the codes? Had to ask the obvious question first.
Yup, this would be the first step.

Also, is it the Master code or the Installer code you seek? The master code you should be able to get from the previous owner, the installer code you may never get.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Apr 26, 2010
163 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
i'm in the same processes, where i have no clue about the alarm codes or any codes for the system. I'm thinking i might need to change the unit in the closet inorder to reset everything. i have a dsc system. if anyone have insight on this brand that needs to be reset.

I was told if i contact any alarm company they should be able to switch out the unit for you but could be costly
Oct 14, 2010
779 posts
292 upvotes
aznviper wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:33 pm
i'm in the same processes, where i have no clue about the alarm codes or any codes for the system. I'm thinking i might need to change the unit in the closet inorder to reset everything. i have a dsc system.
What model is your DSC? If it was built this century, you should be able to find just the controller board on ebay for a very good price. You would be able to use all the remaining components.

If you asked DSC themselves how to reset it, they will tell you it needs to be sent back to them. Yet as I mentioned earlier, I was able to find a way to reset a DSC panel (from the last century) that I had using Google. Of course the method will vary from one model of board to the next.

If you don't already have the "Installers Manual" , I suggest you locate a copy on the Internet and download it. These alarm systems have dozens of options that I expect would be difficult for someone without an electronics background to understand. You might want to examine the manual to decide if this is something you think you could handle before spending the money on a replacement board.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3346 posts
2560 upvotes
Toronto
Honeywell Vistas can be re-programming by by doing a power cycle (unplug it from power, then plugging it back in), then pressing something specific and then you can use the default code. Look it up in the service manual here:

LINK

Probably page 3-5:
Entering Program Mode A) Press both [∗] and [#] at the same time within 50 seconds after power is applied
to the control,
OR
B) After power-up, enter [Installer code (4-1-1-2)] + 8 0 0 (long beep indicates one
of the partitions is armed and system cannot enter program mode).
(method “B” is disabled if you exit the program mode using ∗98)
Then you can program the user codes, etc. Of course, you will need to get a monitoring company. The Monitoring Centre is good for taking over systems and their monitoring is fairly cheap.
Apr 3, 2011
156 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
juniperblues wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:21 pm
We have a Honeywell Vista 15P in our place, but the last owners didn't leave us with any of the security codes.

Is there any way I can still use it, or do we need to install a new alarm system?

Thanks.
I did this a long time ago, So you have to power down your system and remove the battery. Leave the battery off for now. Power on the system and go to your panel and press * + # This should get you into the programmer mode. Then #20 which should display the installer code. Hit *99 to exit programmer mode. You can plug the battery back in any time after the system is up. What ever you do don't change any settings or you could mess up the current programming.

You should look for the manual for your system to find out what other things you can do in programmer mode like changing master code etc. Google is your friend.
Apr 3, 2011
156 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
You can also install a Envisalink evl4 to monitor your system with out the monthly cost. Not that difficult to install, but you do need to run a ethernet cable to where your panel is located.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 6, 2017
26 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks everyone.

Yes, I contacted the home owner. He claimed that he lost it. Actually at first he said he would find it, then he said he couldn't find it and then he stopped returning my calls.

I'm not very technical but will give the above a go - thanks very much for the help.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 6, 2017
26 posts
3 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:53 pm
Yup, this would be the first step.

Also, is it the Master code or the Installer code you seek? The master code you should be able to get from the previous owner, the installer code you may never get.
It's both.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 6, 2017
26 posts
3 upvotes
jm1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:20 pm
Honeywell Vistas can be re-programming by by doing a power cycle (unplug it from power, then plugging it back in), then pressing something specific and then you can use the default code. Look it up in the service manual here:

LINK

Probably page 3-5:

Then you can program the user codes, etc. Of course, you will need to get a monitoring company. The Monitoring Centre is good for taking over systems and their monitoring is fairly cheap.
Will the company find the codes for me if I can't?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5025 posts
1065 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
juniperblues wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 10:07 am
Thanks everyone.

Yes, I contacted the home owner. He claimed that he lost it. Actually at first he said he would find it, then he said he couldn't find it and then he stopped returning my calls.

I'm not very technical but will give the above a go - thanks very much for the help.
How the heck did he forget his master code? He must have never used the system as you would need the master code to arm and disarm the system. If that's the case, you are SOL. You may have to short the system to reset it or call in an alarm techy.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Apr 26, 2003
783 posts
182 upvotes
X2. It's an alarm code that you'd use everyday, that should be memorized. The guy probably just couldn't care less because it's not his problem anymore.
Nov 7, 2012
596 posts
199 upvotes
TORONTO
I was in the same position. Looked into paying ADT but it was stupid expensive. Thought of going with another cheaper company. But in the end I said screw it and will opt to install my own camera system in the future.

That being said, we lived with the thing on without the code for almost a year. Every so often it would beep as a warning that it wasn't connected to ADT. I would press the silence button or whatever to shut it up. We just wanted it because if a window or back doors were opened then we would know. But one day my silence pressing ended up triggering the alarm. I ran to the basement and unplugged it.... didn't shut it up.... Eventually after like 10 mins it stopped. I called ADT, they gave me the procedure to totally disconnect it, which involved unplugging the back up battery, and I said fk it.

We have a dog as our alarm so we're good for now. If you need to have a monitored system then go with one of the cheaper companies... it's like $15/month...