• Sep 15th, 2015 7:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5153 posts
1208 upvotes
Kanata
I feel like you can complain all you want but you signed the dotted line. You said it yourself live and learn. There's a reason they have the nickname stealership. Can't wait for cars to be sold at walmart. We don't need a 40m dollar showroom with $hit coffee and having to put up with these crooks. Buying my first new car was such a pain, the joy of getting it was just mediocre.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
16 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
I agree I am learning from this. But the amount I get refunded for the service plan should not depend on the dotted line I signed. My main concern is getting fully reimbursed for the service plan, but they keep telling me they will not refund the tax, which is hundreds of dollars. I want to know if they can legally withhold sales tax from that refund.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5153 posts
1208 upvotes
Kanata
Is it the original warranty that's being refunded to you because it's no use anymore?

Ask them to produce a document saying where sales tax is not refunded for warranty.

Maybe contact another Ford dealership, and without giving any info, ask if sales tax is refunded on warranty.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
16 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
Good idea about asking another dealership. It is the extended warranty that I purchased, which cost $2470 above the price of the car. The car was totaled and according to the contract I am entitled to a full refund. It says nothing about tax being withheld.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6504 posts
2417 upvotes
Canada
Why did you pick one with 250 kms on it? The lot is full of Focii
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
16 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
Haha, well I said the colour and features I wanted and they said, "yep! we have one!". They didn't say, "yep, we have one, but it's been test driven extensively"!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6504 posts
2417 upvotes
Canada
I'm amazed at how lazy people are when they are dropping 10s of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle without even looking at it.

You should have asked them to show it to you first.

When you bought your first Focus .. did you take one for a test drive? Did you buy that exact one? If not, someone else bought that "new" Focus "you" put some miles on.

Did you already take possession?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2414 posts
341 upvotes
Ancaster
mperry381 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 4:07 pm
Good idea about asking another dealership. It is the extended warranty that I purchased, which cost $2470 above the price of the car. The car was totaled and according to the contract I am entitled to a full refund. It says nothing about tax being withheld.
A call to OMVIC will provide you the answer to that question without even filing a complaint against the dealership.

If OMVIC says they owe you the taxes back, just let Ed Learn Ford know what OMVIC told you.....you'll provide get your taxes back without any further hassles.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
16 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
Ok Ok, I know I was stupid, that has been established and there is no point beating a dead horse.

Yes, I have possesion. I didn't test drive the first one because prior to buying that car I had been renting cars almost every weekend for three years. I have driven almost every single type of compact car many times, and I knew what I wanted. The first one they gave me was brand new with very low Kms. I was expecting the same, or at least to be informed if I was getting something different. Yes I should have checked the odometer before signing, but they should have disclosed it without me having to find out after it was too late. Point one for the dealer!
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
16 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
Well, I have won a small battle, and the reason I am sharing this with everyone is so that others can learn from my stupidity. I sent this email to the dealer:

"Sorry Debbie,

I do not understand.

Can you comment on why they do not refund sales tax and if it is legal to withhold sales tax on a returned item? We are talking about hundreds of dollars here. Can you also provide me with documentation in the contract I signed saying that sales tax would be withheld in the event of a refund? The payout from my insurance company has nothing to do with the Extended Service Plan I purchased. I was paid out for the car and the tax on the car. YOU need to provide me with a refund on the ESP and you should be refunding the tax as well.

I will be sending an email to OMVIC about this in the morning to get their opinion on what is owed to me and regarding the issue around not refunding sales tax.

What I expect based on the contract I signed is:

1) A full refund for the 1st ESP I purchased including tax, minus a $75 admin fee, to be applied to my first loan, for a total of $2716.10.

2) A full refund for the 2nd ESP I purchased including tax, minus a $75 admin fee, to be applied to my second loan, for a total of $3176.57

If you need documentation from the insurance company, that is fine, but it should not change those amounts.

Please explain to me why I would expect to receive less than the amounts listed.

Yes, you gave me $500 below family pricing, but you also increased the price of the car above MSRP by $270 and added on things that I did not need or want, so it means nothing.

Thank you,

Meagan"

In response to that email I received:
"After speaking with management they have agreed to refund your tax from the dealership. Please provide us with the necessary signed documentation as well as the waiver that was attached in the previous email.

Thank you very much. "

Well folks, you live and learn. I can guarantee that the next dealer I buy a car from will probably not like how anal retentive I am going to be over EVERYTHING.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6504 posts
2417 upvotes
Canada
Congrats on the money part. :)