• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2013 3:28 am
Tags:
None
Aug 12, 2006
142 posts
Richmond Hill

Taking advantage of Best Buy/Future Shop merchandise return policy

Just wanted to start a topic on merchandise refund.
I am wondering if fellow tech lovers take advantage of their 14 days full refund policy. For tech lovers, this gives us a chance to test out the newest products ourselves, before coming up with the final decision on the one that suits our needs best.
Now the question is, how far can this go? How much can consumers abuse this policy? Would you ever get blacklisted from BB or FS for too many refunds?
Would be nice to see how others feel about this.
35 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah where's that picture with a ship heading towards an iceberg with the caption something like "I can see where this thread is headed"?
Aug 12, 2006
142 posts
Richmond Hill
Ok, so where do u draw the line as to whether it is actually being abused or not? Consumers geniunely want to see if the product is suitable for their needs. What if the product is really not what they expect it to be? This discussion isn't about ppl buying it for free usage and then returning it like a free rental, it's about ppl who really wants to buy a product, but can't decide on which one to get.
Obviously, if people bought it with the full intention of taking advantage of a free obligation "one time usage", then it is abusing the policy.
However, i do believe that BB or FS have this policy in place just for this reason, so customers can return it if it is not up to their expectation.
These policies are also one of the many promotion/sales technique big companies such as BB/FS use to compete with smaller retail stores, so they can sell at a slightly higher price. With that said, i would think the slight increase in price they charge goes into covering these kinds of scenarios (since u can only return the product if it's in its original prestine condition, there really isn't a loss incurred), shouldn't customers take full advantage?
To answer Jerry, yes, it would suck to have people to keep refunding, but it's part of everyday business, it's part of the "risk" of doing business.
There are examples of other retailers that allow customers to "try" before they buy. I know of a sporting equipment store that lets you try out different racquets before deciding on the one to purchase.
There's a fine line between abusing and knowledgeable consumers taking "advantage" of what's offered.
As i've said before, obviously buying new products for the sole purpose of having fun with it and showing it off with absolutely no intention of purchasing it is abusing the policy. But is it still so wrong if you have genuine intent on choosing the best product and then giving BB/FS business by buying from them?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4374 posts
210 upvotes
cmentle1 wrote: Ok, so where do u draw the line as to whether it is actually being abused or not? Consumers geniunely want to see if the product is suitable for their needs. What if the product is really not what they expect it to be? This discussion isn't about ppl buying it for free usage and then returning it like a free rental, it's about ppl who really wants to buy a product, but can't decide on which one to get.
Obviously, if people bought it with the full intention of taking advantage of a free obligation "one time usage", then it is abusing the policy.
However, i do believe that BB or FS have this policy in place just for this reason, so customers can return it if it is not up to their expectation.
These policies are also one of the many promotion/sales technique big companies such as BB/FS use to compete with smaller retail stores, so they can sell at a slightly higher price. With that said, i would think the slight increase in price they charge goes into covering these kinds of scenarios (since u can only return the product if it's in its original prestine condition, there really isn't a loss incurred), shouldn't customers take full advantage?
To answer Jerry, yes, it would suck to have people to keep refunding, but it's part of everyday business, it's part of the "risk" of doing business.
There are examples of other retailers that allow customers to "try" before they buy. I know of a sporting equipment store that lets you try out different racquets before deciding on the one to purchase.
There's a fine line between abusing and knowledgeable consumers taking "advantage" of what's offered.
As i've said before, obviously buying new products for the sole purpose of having fun with it and showing it off with absolutely no intention of purchasing it is abusing the policy. But is it still so wrong if you have genuine intent on choosing the best product and then giving BB/FS business by buying from them?
Dude, you're the one who titled this thread 'taking advantage of...'

I have returned quite a few items, but only because I wasn't satisfied with the item. If you're buying with the intention of returning, then that is unethical.
Aug 12, 2006
142 posts
Richmond Hill
Well, taking advantage is an ambiguous term. But in this context, i meant it as taking advantage of something that's offered to the public, and not for example, taking advantage of someone's inexperience.
So let me put it this way, is it unethical to purchase a few similar products, compare/test it out at home, and then return all except the one u've decided to be the best?
Or is it better to get them one at a time, hoping that u'd hit on the perfect one, but then finding it not up to expectations and going through the whole process of buying and returning one at a time until u've found "the one"?
Aug 12, 2006
142 posts
Richmond Hill
The reason for this discussion is just to see how others feel about this topic because I've confronted/had a discussion with a friend of mine who thinks this is ok as long as u have the true intention to purchase when everything's set and done. But it's hard to draw the line as to when and how it would be acceptable/reasonable.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4374 posts
210 upvotes
cmentle1 wrote: So let me put it this way, is it unethical to purchase a few similar products, compare/test it out at home, and then return all except the one u've decided to be the best?
Yes it is.

If everybody did this, how would the store keep new in box inventory? The store has to sell open box merchandise at a discount.

Do your research, look at the display models, and purchase the one you think you want. If it turns out you're not satisfied, then you have every right to return the item.

And yes, you can get flagged by BB/FS for abusing the return policy.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
Admittedly, I have purchased things from FS with the sole purpose of returning at a later time. I have done this intentionally on 2 occasions that I can think of. I don't make a habit of it as I've made many purchases at FS/BB (mostly FS) and wouldn't want to compromise the privilege.

Another time I bought two digital cameras to "audition" them, but a friend wanted one so she bought the one I didn't want to keep. I had the intention of returning one, but didn't in the end.
Aug 12, 2006
142 posts
Richmond Hill
Impossibles wrote: Yes it is.

If everybody did this, how would the store keep new in box inventory? The store has to sell open box merchandise at a discount.

Do your research, look at the display models, and purchase the one you think you want. If it turns out you're not satisfied, then you have every right to return the item.

And yes, you can get flagged by BB/FS for abusing the return policy.
What if the products come in a package that isn't in those hard plastic wraps, or shrink wrapped and u are able to return it without damaging any of the packaging materials? What if you can return the products in their exact condition (packaging included)? This way, u won't incur any restocking costs.
Back to my friend's argument, larger retailers like BB and FS charge a little more to cover these miscellaneous costs, so even if they have to sell at a lower, open item, price, they are not selling at a deficit, they would just have a lower profit margin.
For example, cameras usually come in boxes that are not sealed and the packaging would not be damaged even when it's opened.

PS. Thanks for the honest input Peroxide
Feb 16, 2005
799 posts
315 upvotes
So I am going on vacation for 2 weeks soon. If I buy a camcorder, digital camera, gps, portable dvd player and a laptop. Can I return these all at once when I get back or should I return at separate times?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5666 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
alexkidd wrote: So I am going on vacation for 2 weeks soon. If I buy a camcorder, digital camera, gps, portable dvd player and a laptop. Can I return these all at once when I get back or should I return at separate times?
those items have a 30 day return so you can do either. doesnt matter much if your returning for sure, you could pay cash so not to leave a trail.
Feb 16, 2005
799 posts
315 upvotes
killoverme wrote: those items have a 30 day return so you can do either. doesnt matter much if your returning for sure, you could pay cash so not to leave a trail.
haha i was actually just kidding.
Oct 11, 2007
424 posts
Everybody has their own ethical standards, return policies are also marketing techniques based on business principles to stimulate buying. That's one of the reasons people shop freely at Costco.
And it's a variable policy dependent on the vendor, there is no legal law, I know of, that a retailer/wholesaler has to provide a refund (if someone can correct me on this, I'd love to use it on my next troubled return), although you can blog your complaint to death.

If you do it too much, you'll just get flagged. Walmart has this on a national computer system and bans people who abuse it especially after Christmas.
Oct 11, 2007
424 posts
Speaking of Christmas, it's hilarious that the theft sensor is constantly going off during the holidays even when they have token security guys at the door. Catch 1, 4 go through.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4374 posts
210 upvotes
cmentle1 wrote: What if the products come in a package that isn't in those hard plastic wraps, or shrink wrapped and u are able to return it without damaging any of the packaging materials? What if you can return the products in their exact condition (packaging included)? This way, u won't incur any restocking costs.
Back to my friend's argument, larger retailers like BB and FS charge a little more to cover these miscellaneous costs, so even if they have to sell at a lower, open item, price, they are not selling at a deficit, they would just have a lower profit margin.
For example, cameras usually come in boxes that are not sealed and the packaging would not be damaged even when it's opened.
You can never package something up like it came from the factory.

How would you feel if you spent $1500 on a TV or camera, only to find that it had been unpacked by somebody, used, and then repacked?

Ethics is what you do when nobody is looking. Its not a matter of getting caught, or it really not costing the business money...its what you know inside is right and wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
Impossibles wrote: How would you feel if you spent $1500 on a TV or camera, only to find that it had been unpacked by somebody, used, and then repacked?
Like a crappy tire customer goes through with 50% of their purchases?
Not a political sig
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
131 upvotes
do your research before you buy things, simple. read forums, ask questions, read reviews from multiple sources to ensure that you buy the product that suits you.