Parenting & Family

Taking infant to Jamaica for a week. What kind of stroller?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 4:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
3770 posts
340 upvotes
Scarborough

Taking infant to Jamaica for a week. What kind of stroller?

We are leaving to Jamaica for a week at the end of November. We were wondering if we should take our full size Uppababy stroller or should we purchase an umbrella stroller to travel there? She's only 5 months old.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2732 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
leave main stroller. invest in a travel stroller
FS/FT: none atm
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14107 posts
4573 upvotes
Traian2003 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:39 pm
Thanks for the recommendation on the Babyzen Yoyo but I see that it sells for 600$+... out of our budget for now. Was looking at the Summer Infant 3D one. Any ideas if it's good?

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp ... =113044636
We have the Summer Infant 3D. It works fine, the only annoying part is that it eventually developed a squeak and the wheels do not completely disassembled to thoroughly grease. We use our strollers a lot though - as in we walk over 20 KM a day when on vacation with them. We also use them in the snow, which I am sure doesn't help with the squeaky wheels.

One thing we learned the hard way - remove the cup holder before checking it at the gate because it will most likely get knocked off when being loaded/unloaded.

I would have no problem recommending it - I just think we use it a little more than most so we get problems like the squeak.
Dec 22, 2016
19 posts
2 upvotes
I would definitely leave the uppababy at home. We have one of those and although it's fantastic for getting you around in all terrains, it's way too bulky for travel. Plus it will pain you to see how they toss that thing at the airport while transferring it from the plane. I would just invest in a nice umbrella stroller since you'll be able to make use of it as your child gets older anyway. I also got the uppababy umbrella stroller.
May 12, 2014
873 posts
349 upvotes
Montreal
The Yoyo is worth every penny if you plan to travel a lot, and/or have more kids.

Another alternative is to buy whatever padded "travel bag" the Uppababy offers and just bring the big stroller along (which the baby can sleep comfortably in during the day).

If I was going to go cheap on a travel stroller, then I would go really cheap and get the cheapest one I could find.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11109 posts
1426 upvotes
Markham
umbrella stroller doesn't offer much storage for baby stuff
I would get either of these

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/delta-chil ... 0196330702

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/summer-inf ... ime/740557
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Nov 13, 2013
714 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
Traian2003 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:31 pm
We are leaving to Jamaica for a week at the end of November. We were wondering if we should take our full size Uppababy stroller or should we purchase an umbrella stroller to travel there? She's only 5 months old.
Are you sure you need a stroller? The only time we use a stroller on a resort vacation is for naps in the stroller and then you can wheel it to the pool, but a 5 month old might not be able to use an umbrella stroller. You want to try it out in advance for sure.
May 12, 2014
873 posts
349 upvotes
Montreal
Another idea: if you're going to an all inclusive, check if they can give you a stroller. The Club Med in the Dominican republic gives strollers, baby beds, baby bathtubs, etc

On our first trip, we just used the hotel's stroller.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3617 posts
1061 upvotes
Toronto
We took our 5 month old to Mexico for a month and bought the cheapest stroller there that we could find, it was $50 and this was years ago. It was fine, did us well for multiple trips. I don't see the point in investing in an expensive stroller just for travelling, and we travelled a lot too.

He was a little small for an umbrella stroller at the time but we kept it mostly in a semi-reclined stage (which was important) and had a sunshade (which was even more important). We also had a sun cover that went over it. To get us down there (before we bought the stroller) and for lots of other excursions though, we used a wrap - got a little warm at times but virtually nothing to carry.

Eventually I passed on that stroller and I think it broke on a flight but it was a well used and well travelled $50 stroller!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2732 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
summer infant 3d should serve you well, it's now our everyday stroller Smiling Face With Open Mouth
travel stroller duties now on the qb pockit, fits underneath plane seats
FS/FT: none atm
Apr 28, 2003
36 posts
12 upvotes
Brampton
We got the summer infant 3d flip (baby can look at you or the world) for our recent trip to Mexico with a 4 month old. It worked great and was lightweight and easy to get around with. It had good head support for the baby too.