[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6336 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto

taking product photos at home.

I have a cannon SD1100 IS.

I need to take some decent product photos of some of the stuff I design and sell. The Items are about 4" x 4" in size.

I am looking for info for a cheap setup, and info on how to take nice product shots.

Regards,

Alan To
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
5 replies
Aug 18, 2007
962 posts
5 upvotes
What you want is called a light box. You have a few choices here, you can either buy a pre-made one, make a real one for around $20 (literally, you just plug the box in and put your items inside, or set up a white sheet attached to a wall, at a cost of $0.

Go out and get a sheet of white Bristol Board. Start by taping it to the wall inside a small enclosed area. A closet will likely work best. You want to tape it to the wall so that the sheet curves around a corner, leaving half of the sheet on the ground, and half the sheet attached to the wall. Then, walk around your house and get some lights. In my case, I took a small desk lamp, put it on a chair, and wheeled the chair right next to the bristol board. I then took another lamp, and put it on the ground aiming straight at the bristol board.

Place your item on the bristol board. The lighting should give you a nice even white surface, and the bristol board will allow you to have your item appear without random stuff in the background.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8264 posts
918 upvotes
Google instructions for a DIY light tent and find yourself a tripod. That should be enough to get you started.