Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1224 posts
30 upvotes

Tamper resistant electrical outlets - so difficult to plug in

Seems like these outlets are very picky about the prongs having to be in the best position so that it will allow the plug to go in.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get some of my plugs in?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2929 posts
2308 upvotes
Toronto
There are many different types, so you'll need a photo or link. There's ones that slide left/right to expose the plug, ones that need to be tilted at an angle, etc.

I haven't had any issues with the ones that slide left/right, other than it adds depth so you have to put plugs in fully to get a good connection.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3557 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
These are the new Tamper Resistant (TR) receptacles required by code. They have the letters TR stamped on the face of the receptacle.

They are designed so that if one shutter is impacted before the other, the other one will not open, which is the whole point. This means you need to plug devices in perfectly straight or you will end up with resistance from the shutters.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1224 posts
30 upvotes
Some of the outlets are just impossible to plug something into. So basically it's a shutter of some sort. From looking at the outlet it looks like a left/right shutter. Just seems like your plugs have to be perfect in order for it work which kind of sucks.

Anyone else on insight as to how they work internally or any other tips to try to get plugs in easier?
May 24, 2003
929 posts
42 upvotes
Macross_Freek wrote:
Apr 13th, 2010 7:06 pm
Some of the outlets are just impossible to plug something into. So basically it's a shutter of some sort. From looking at the outlet it looks like a left/right shutter. Just seems like your plugs have to be perfect in order for it work which kind of sucks.

Anyone else on insight as to how they work internally or any other tips to try to get plugs in easier?
Replace them with normal ones.
Oct 5, 2006
89 posts
7 upvotes
Munchos wrote:
Apr 13th, 2010 7:34 pm
Replace them with normal ones.
Not allowed in Ontario as per ESA 26-712 (g). All new and retrofit (like for like, one for one) plugs within a childs reach, aside from the counter top must be replaced with the new "TR" type.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5745 posts
539 upvotes
Just replace them and if anyone asks just say the house was that way when you bought it.

You know, looking at things from another province it never ceases to amaze me the way the governments in Ontario seem to be nit picking every issue and passing new laws and regulations designed to cure every ill. I really don't know how you people can stand it. You seem to have a massive bureaucracy looking for ways to justify their existence.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7167 posts
675 upvotes
The electrical code is national, this change happened last year I was told by my inspector.
May 6, 2010
461 posts
21 upvotes
yep, they are horrible, but I guess there're doing waht supposed to do.
In europe they used to have sliding cover plate, but it was somewhat easier to access by child.
May 24, 2003
929 posts
42 upvotes
Just Looking For a Deal wrote:
Jun 9th, 2010 12:42 pm
Not allowed in Ontario as per ESA 26-712 (g). All new and retrofit (like for like, one for one) plugs within a childs reach, aside from the counter top must be replaced with the new "TR" type.

I just put some normal outlets in my house last week. Waiting for the electrical outlet policeman to come knocking at my door :confused:
Oct 26, 2006
660 posts
3 upvotes
just got the keys to our new house, and they too come with tamper proof outlets.

my brother is having a hard time trying to plug in products...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4156 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Seriously, these things are not that hard to use. I have to use them in new houses almost every day.

New ones may need to be used a few times to break them in. Get used to them. It's not that difficult.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
× < >