Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Tangerine 2.5% Interest Rate February 6, 2018 to June 30, 2018 [TARGETED]

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 10:55 am
Mar 1, 2010
890 posts
227 upvotes

Tangerine 2.5% Interest Rate February 6, 2018 to June 30, 2018 [TARGETED]

I forgot to active my offer at the end of last month, but I just received an email from Tangerine

Dear ****,
Get a Special Rate on New Savings Account Deposits with One Click!
Smart saving habits are key to reaching your financial goals. And to help you get there faster, we have a special interest rate of 2.50% for you. Just activate before
February 28th.
Hit the ‘Activate Now’ button below (or in the banner above) to earn 2.50% interest* on new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s) and RSP Savings Account(s):

1. Activate by February 28th to put your special interest rate in place.
2. New deposits to these Accounts from February 6, 2018 to June 30, 2018 will earn your special rate of 2.50%.

the fine print is :

Earn More Interest with Your Special Savings Rate Until June 30, 2018

You’re earning 2.50%* on new deposits to your Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s) and RSP Savings Account(s) until June 30, 2018. Why not move money to your Account(s), or open a new Account, to make the most of your special rate?

Here’s How It Works:

We totalled up the balances of your eligible Savings, TFSA and RSP Savings Account(s) as they were on February 5, 2018 to get your total balances per Account type
From February 6, 2018 to June 30, 2018, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on February 5, 2018(up to $500,000 per Account type)
The rest of your Account balance will earn the current posted rate
*2.50% interest rate Offer is calculated by adding the Bank's current applicable Posted Rate with the Additional Interest rate of 1.40%. The Offer is only applicable to Tangerine Savings Accounts, RSP Savings Accounts and Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts ("Applicable Accounts") from February 6, 2018 to June 30, 2018. A number of the same type of Applicable Accounts is defined as an "Applicable Account Type". Additional Interest will apply to net new Eligible Deposits made between February 6, 2018 and June 30, 2018 of up to $500,000 per Applicable Account Type for Clients who have received this communication about the Offer directly from Tangerine and who Activate and receive a Confirmation that the Offer has been successfully activated as outlined in the full Offer Terms and Conditions. Clients must be the Primary Account Holder on the Applicable Account. The Offer does not apply to certain Account types. The applicable Posted Rate and the Additional Interest rate are annualized rates, calculated daily and paid monthly. Any Applicable Account closed prior to the payment of Additional Interest will forfeit any Additional Interest calculated during the month in which the Applicable Account is closed. This Offer and interest rates are subject to change without notice.
56 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2014
1100 posts
1405 upvotes
Toronto
Got this too. :) Time to go back from EQ to Tangerine.
"A fool is someone who knows the price of everything & the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4566 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Interesting... my Jan-May offer isn't expired yet, guess they are putting everyone on rolling 4 month windows?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
Once again, nothing...
Hopefully Simplii will come through with something else after the current promotion ends
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
DRC wrote: Once again, nothing...
Hopefully Simplii will come through with something else after the current promotion ends
I've been shut out for the past two years!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4566 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Did you check under Offers in your profile?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Thread says targetted. I'm not yet with Tangerine. Do all HISA Tangerine account holders qualify?

Edit: looks like it, went to their website. They're advertising it with referral and pre-auth/scheduled deposits incentives for new customers.

Looks like they want people to jump ship from Simplii asap.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Dec 26, 2014
133 posts
281 upvotes
Cobourg, ON
Simpii is earning 3% right now until Feb 28. I love playing the rotating deposit game. I will move all cash out of Simplii on Feb 27. EQ is always the backup.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
There are several huge threads about the ongoing Tangerine interest rate deals. They send out targeted "new deposits" offers like this quite frequently, but you don't necessarily need to receive the offer to qualify - you can call in and ask for it (YMMV). A lot of people move their money out of their Tangerine savings account just before the new round of offers every 3 months so that it can qualify as new money, then call in and get the offer, and move it back. But some of us don't even bother doing that - we just call in and tell Tangerine that we'll move our money out to a higher-interest account elsewhere if we don't get their latest offer, and they extend the offer anyway on existing money without needing to move it around. This is all YMMV, so read the other threads and brief yourself on the right things to say before calling in. The Tangerine agents seem to have a set of specific criteria, and they usually have to consult someone before extending the offer if you weren't targeted. The criteria seem to include your account balance, your account history, and you referencing a specific competitor offering a higher interest rate.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
Exp315 wrote: There are several huge threads about the ongoing Tangerine interest rate deals. They send out targeted "new deposits" offers like this quite frequently, but you don't necessarily need to receive the offer to qualify - you can call in and ask for it (YMMV). A lot of people move their money out of their Tangerine savings account just before the new round of offers every 3 months so that it can qualify as new money, then call in and get the offer, and move it back. But some of us don't even bother doing that - we just call in and tell Tangerine that we'll move our money out to a higher-interest account elsewhere if we don't get their latest offer, and they extend the offer anyway on existing money without needing to move it around. This is all YMMV, so read the other threads and brief yourself on the right things to say before calling in. The Tangerine agents seem to have a set of specific criteria, and they usually have to consult someone before extending the offer if you weren't targeted. The criteria seem to include your account balance, your account history, and you referencing a specific competitor offering a higher interest rate.
Back in October when the targeted offer was 2.75% I called in and was offered 2.0%. Six figure amount on deposit. I asked for a match at EQ's rate. A hold while the supervisor was consulted. Answer was "no". All I have ever had with them was a savings account and concluded that they were not interested in my one product business.
Sep 12, 2008
372 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
is this interest monthly paid? or is compound interest for year and paid monthly?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
ToniCipriani wrote: Did you check under Offers in your profile?
Yes, thanks. Last offer listed was dated August 2, 2017.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4566 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
DRC wrote: Yes, thanks. Last offer listed was dated August 2, 2017.
What about under Insights? They moved the offers thing around, it's a bit of a mess right now.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Thread says targetted. I'm not yet with Tangerine. Do all HISA Tangerine account holders qualify?

Edit: looks like it, went to their website. They're advertising it with referral and pre-auth/scheduled deposits incentives for new customers.

Looks like they want people to jump ship from Simplii asap.
If you are going to play the high interest account roulette game, tangerine is the best account to start with. For me the reason is they have the simplest solution for linking to accounts at other banks. Along the way, you earn a few pennies for free. They also don't have new money requirement that a lot of the competition use to limit eligibility.

I have to mention that tangerine offers a referral credit. Of course, the usual caveat, don't beg for referrals here as it's not allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5600 posts
2548 upvotes
Kitchener
Nukester99 wrote: Simpii is earning 3% right now until Feb 28. I love playing the rotating deposit game. I will move all cash out of Simplii on Feb 27. EQ is always the backup.
is anyone and to link simplii to eq? They rejected me because I didn't send simplii a real cheque.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2841 posts
3451 upvotes
Toronto
Exp315 wrote: There are several huge threads about the ongoing Tangerine interest rate deals. They send out targeted "new deposits" offers like this quite frequently, but you don't necessarily need to receive the offer to qualify - you can call in and ask for it (YMMV). A lot of people move their money out of their Tangerine savings account just before the new round of offers every 3 months so that it can qualify as new money, then call in and get the offer, and move it back. But some of us don't even bother doing that - we just call in and tell Tangerine that we'll move our money out to a higher-interest account elsewhere if we don't get their latest offer, and they extend the offer anyway on existing money without needing to move it around. This is all YMMV, so read the other threads and brief yourself on the right things to say before calling in. The Tangerine agents seem to have a set of specific criteria, and they usually have to consult someone before extending the offer if you weren't targeted. The criteria seem to include your account balance, your account history, and you referencing a specific competitor offering a higher interest rate.
I just called to try and get a promo rate for my entire balance. I was told that I can get 2.5% on the entire balance of my savings accounts only, but the 2.5% promotion would NOT include money in my tax free savings account.

When you called to get a promo rate for the entire balance, does the promotion include money in your TFSA? That's actually pretty important for me because that's the only money I don't want to move in and out when a promotion period ends.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
will888 wrote: If you are going to play the high interest account roulette game, tangerine is the best account to start with. For me the reason is they have the simplest solution for linking to accounts at other banks. Along the way, you earn a few pennies for free. They also don't have new money requirement that a lot of the competition use to limit eligibility.

I have to mention that tangerine offers a referral credit. Of course, the usual caveat, don't beg for referrals here as it's not allowed.
+1
Thundercloud wrote: is anyone and to link simplii to eq? They rejected me because I didn't send simplii a real cheque.
Simplii makes it harder to link accounts than Tangerine, but once linked, the convenience of linking an unlimited number of accounts is next level (compared to Tangerine, max 3 external accounts).

To link to Simplii, call them, have them send you the secured email. Complete the PDF form. Then, include void cheque or a document from the other bank (EQ) including the account number and must be stamped by the bank.

I'm still in the process of linking external accounts to Simplii.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
I got the offer and activated it but under the details it’s still only showing 1.1%. Should it be updated to the promo rate or will I get screwed and have to fight for my interest at the promo rate?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
silverele wrote: When you called to get a promo rate for the entire balance, does the promotion include money in your TFSA? That's actually pretty important for me because that's the only money I don't want to move in and out when a promotion period ends.
That I could not say. I have a TFSA there (which may be one reason why they are more willing to give me the offer on existing money), but I keep my TFSA in their balanced fund since it's long-term money. Tangerine's Balanced Fund is not the greatest performer, and it suffers from high management fees, but it still returns much more than a savings account long-term, even after the recent market crash cost me 2.5%.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: I got the offer and activated it but under the details it’s still only showing 1.1%. Should it be updated to the promo rate or will I get screwed and have to fight for my interest at the promo rate?
Click on your Savings Account, then Account Details, and you should see this:

"Current Interest Rate 1.1%

Special offer: Earn 2.5% interest on your Account until (your date), 2018."

.., and under your account transactions you should see Promo Interest in addition to regular interest.