• May 17th, 2018 10:55 am
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
1283 posts
962 upvotes
Toronto
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 10:12 am
There are several huge threads about the ongoing Tangerine interest rate deals. They send out targeted "new deposits" offers like this quite frequently, but you don't necessarily need to receive the offer to qualify - you can call in and ask for it (YMMV). A lot of people move their money out of their Tangerine savings account just before the new round of offers every 3 months so that it can qualify as new money, then call in and get the offer, and move it back. But some of us don't even bother doing that - we just call in and tell Tangerine that we'll move our money out to a higher-interest account elsewhere if we don't get their latest offer, and they extend the offer anyway on existing money without needing to move it around. This is all YMMV, so read the other threads and brief yourself on the right things to say before calling in. The Tangerine agents seem to have a set of specific criteria, and they usually have to consult someone before extending the offer if you weren't targeted. The criteria seem to include your account balance, your account history, and you referencing a specific competitor offering a higher interest rate.
I just called to try and get a promo rate for my entire balance. I was told that I can get 2.5% on the entire balance of my savings accounts only, but the 2.5% promotion would NOT include money in my tax free savings account.

When you called to get a promo rate for the entire balance, does the promotion include money in your TFSA? That's actually pretty important for me because that's the only money I don't want to move in and out when a promotion period ends.
May 8, 2009
6710 posts
2914 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:44 am
If you are going to play the high interest account roulette game, tangerine is the best account to start with. For me the reason is they have the simplest solution for linking to accounts at other banks. Along the way, you earn a few pennies for free. They also don't have new money requirement that a lot of the competition use to limit eligibility.

I have to mention that tangerine offers a referral credit. Of course, the usual caveat, don't beg for referrals here as it's not allowed.
+1
Thundercloud wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:13 am
is anyone and to link simplii to eq? They rejected me because I didn't send simplii a real cheque.
Simplii makes it harder to link accounts than Tangerine, but once linked, the convenience of linking an unlimited number of accounts is next level (compared to Tangerine, max 3 external accounts).

To link to Simplii, call them, have them send you the secured email. Complete the PDF form. Then, include void cheque or a document from the other bank (EQ) including the account number and must be stamped by the bank.

I'm still in the process of linking external accounts to Simplii.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4419 posts
1569 upvotes
Toronto
I got the offer and activated it but under the details it’s still only showing 1.1%. Should it be updated to the promo rate or will I get screwed and have to fight for my interest at the promo rate?
Email = [myusername] @ GMail.com
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] Fido LTE micro sim
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2827 posts
1905 upvotes
silverele wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:55 am
When you called to get a promo rate for the entire balance, does the promotion include money in your TFSA? That's actually pretty important for me because that's the only money I don't want to move in and out when a promotion period ends.
That I could not say. I have a TFSA there (which may be one reason why they are more willing to give me the offer on existing money), but I keep my TFSA in their balanced fund since it's long-term money. Tangerine's Balanced Fund is not the greatest performer, and it suffers from high management fees, but it still returns much more than a savings account long-term, even after the recent market crash cost me 2.5%.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2827 posts
1905 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:24 am
I got the offer and activated it but under the details it’s still only showing 1.1%. Should it be updated to the promo rate or will I get screwed and have to fight for my interest at the promo rate?
Click on your Savings Account, then Account Details, and you should see this:

"Current Interest Rate 1.1%

Special offer: Earn 2.5% interest on your Account until (your date), 2018."

.., and under your account transactions you should see Promo Interest in addition to regular interest.
Nov 14, 2004
749 posts
135 upvotes
Are there fees to transfer in from TD?
Aug 19, 2009
228 posts
93 upvotes
my mother's account got this email. She also got the previous one ( Jan - May ) but didn't activate. Guess they really want you to keep your money with them.
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|
Zoomer, Fido, ING (Tangerine sounds so weird >.>)
Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
Mar 24, 2011
292 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
where do I activate this ? I have some money in tangerine from the 2.4% new account promo but where can I select to get this till June
Dec 16, 2017
937 posts
343 upvotes
Raincouver
titaniumtux wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:00 am
+1

Simplii makes it harder to link accounts than Tangerine, but once linked, the convenience of linking an unlimited number of accounts is next level (compared to Tangerine, max 3 external accounts).

To link to Simplii, call them, have them send you the secured email. Complete the PDF form. Then, include void cheque or a document from the other bank (EQ) including the account number and must be stamped by the bank.

I'm still in the process of linking external accounts to Simplii.
It's easy to just photoshop an any bank cheque to your own void check. I wonder why these banks do not adapt to that haha. as if faxing is more authentic than emailing...
Linking Simplii acct to another is a bit cumbersome indeed. easier to link another to Simplii because of free cheque.

@pentexplorer you can try calling to ask for a promotional interest. I got a 2% for 3 months for the whole balance instead.
Mar 24, 2011
292 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
dekvitaly wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:57 am
It's easy to just photoshop an any bank cheque to your own void check. I wonder why these banks do not adapt to that haha. as if faxing is more authentic than emailing...
Linking Simplii acct to another is a bit cumbersome indeed. easier to link another to Simplii because of free cheque.

@pentexplorer you can try calling to ask for a promotional interest. I got a 2% for 3 months for the whole balance instead.
Hmm sounds good to me. it's my emergency fund account. How's Simplii? You guys recommend it as well? My main account is TD but it's really abysmal savings rate.
Dec 16, 2017
937 posts
343 upvotes
Raincouver
pentexplorer wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:59 am
Hmm sounds good to me. it's my emergency fund account. How's Simplii? You guys recommend it as well? My main account is TD but it's really abysmal savings rate.
Simplii is just PC Financial. Nothing's so special about it except that free cheque and free etransfer sell me nowadays. Some other free accounts to consider if you want to use on occasion are Motive Financial (a bit slow website but free 50 cheques and 1.5% saving, although garbage app) and alterna bank (slightly bit better website, but garbage people and garbage app) all online.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1782 posts
532 upvotes
silverele wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:55 am
I just called to try and get a promo rate for my entire balance. I was told that I can get 2.5% on the entire balance of my savings accounts only, but the 2.5% promotion would NOT include money in my tax free savings account.

The 'entire balance retention offer' that you got never includes TFSA, as far as I can recall. Tangerine is willing to let the TFSA be transferred out, and charge you $45
May 8, 2009
6710 posts
2914 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
dekvitaly wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:57 am

Simplii is my main bank because I started with PCF. I suppose I could do it all with Tangerine, but I now have two chq and two HISA's plus a uLOC with Simplii. With Simplii, you get unlimited free checks, unlimited linked accounts, unlimited Simplii accounts, some promo's on HISA interest rates, unlimited debit transactions, a great app (basically a code port from the CIBC app) that supports fps on Android and now free e-transfers.

What's coming is Visa debit, nicknaming accounts (they also have to fix their bug preventing nicknaming billing accounts), and very likely credit cards. It's good to build a credit history with Simplii since my guess is CIBC will use them to compete with Tangerine and the CU's.
pentexplorer wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:59 am

I have a TD savings account for the sake of transferring money fast to my TD visa CC in order to meet the payment deadline (one free transfer out from savings account per month). Else their savings account is a joke, and chq account has lame fees unless you park a $5k balance. I'd rather park $5k in a HISA than to save on TD's any-purpose fees.

Plus TD's app doesn't support fps on Android. Although I like their app, some drawbacks shoot it back to over a decade ago.
akaManny wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 6:33 am
The 'entire balance retention offer' that you got never includes TFSA, as far as I can recall. Tangerine is willing to let the TFSA be transferred out, and charge you $45
Haven't seen the need to get a TFSA. I think a tax-free account is better used on mutual funds, since they yield higher interest. Also, for those of us who flip savings across Simplii/Tangerine/EQ/etc. we're collecting interest in different accounts/banks, and if it's under $50 in interest collected, I don't think we even get a T5 from the bank (would be too little money to declare).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Feb 11, 2018
1 posts
Ok, so I don't know much about anything here and I'm not sure if I am getting this right...

If I open an account and move over, say $30,000 into it, I'll then get $750?

Same goes to Simplii that people keep mentioning at 3%?
Dec 26, 2014
34 posts
18 upvotes
Cobourg, ON
If you link your Simplii account with EQ (send EQ a Simplii cheque) , you can move money either way from EQ. Same goes with Tangerine, link it to EQ.