• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 10:55 am
Mar 24, 2011
207 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
titaniumtux wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:33 am
Simplii is my main bank because I started with PCF. I suppose I could do it all with Tangerine, but I now have two chq and two HISA's plus a uLOC with Simplii. With Simplii, you get unlimited free checks, unlimited linked accounts, unlimited Simplii accounts, some promo's on HISA interest rates, unlimited debit transactions, a great app (basically a code port from the CIBC app) that supports fps on Android and now free e-transfers.

What's coming is Visa debit, nicknaming accounts (they also have to fix their bug preventing nicknaming billing accounts), and very likely credit cards. It's good to build a credit history with Simplii since my guess is CIBC will use them to compete with Tangerine and the CU's.

I have a TD savings account for the sake of transferring money fast to my TD visa CC in order to meet the payment deadline (one free transfer out from savings account per month). Else their savings account is a joke, and chq account has lame fees unless you park a $5k balance. I'd rather park $5k in a HISA than to save on TD's any-purpose fees.

Plus TD's app doesn't support fps on Android. Although I like their app, some drawbacks shoot it back to over a decade ago.

Haven't seen the need to get a TFSA. I think a tax-free account is better used on mutual funds, since they yield higher interest. Also, for those of us who flip savings across Simplii/Tangerine/EQ/etc. we're collecting interest in different accounts/banks, and if it's under $50 in interest collected, I don't think we even get a T5 from the bank (would be too little money to declare).
I have the tangerine 2.4% promo till April 30th it seems, so I can't extend this to June 30th.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1747 posts
516 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:33 am
Also, for those of us who flip savings across Simplii/Tangerine/EQ/etc. we're collecting interest in different accounts/banks, and if it's under $50 in interest collected, I don't think we even get a T5 from the bank (would be too little money to declare).
The $50 minimum is a myth. According to the CRA website, "You may not receive a T5 slip if the investment income is less than $50, but you must still report this income."
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ncome.html
Sep 21, 2016
49 posts
41 upvotes
Quick question for someone that is new to savings/investing. What is the better route - the TSFA or the investment fund with tangerine? What would be the average return per year on $30k?
May 8, 2009
5892 posts
2216 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
akaManny wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:50 pm
The $50 minimum is a myth. According to the CRA website, "You may not receive a T5 slip if the investment income is less than $50, but you must still report this income."
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ncome.html
Thank you for the info.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
May 7, 2007
257 posts
43 upvotes
Peterborough
received an email telling me I am pre-qualified for a $10,000 MasterCard. when I clicked on the link they wantex my financial information and permission to run a credit check. correct me if Im wrong but that appears to be a conventional application process. other financial institutions, when communicating Im pre-qualified just gave me the card or PLC with no credit check or application. in all cases including Tangerine I have been an existing customer. I called tbem( was on hold 30 min) and questioned this tactic. the csr was useless and said that was their process. i told him it is misleading and not i dustry standard. not the first time they pissed me off. i probably will leave them as they really are not very good.
Oct 21, 2003
787 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
I have my special interest rate expiring soon (was 2.5% until April 1) and was offered only 2% for 6 months.

What are others getting for their retention rate? I was thinking to move to another bank such as EQ which pays 2.3% now.
Dec 27, 2012
117 posts
21 upvotes
BURNABY
Dan325ci wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 12:12 pm
I have my special interest rate expiring soon (was 2.5% until April 1) and was offered only 2% for 6 months.

What are others getting for their retention rate? I was thinking to move to another bank such as EQ which pays 2.3% now.
I called in two weeks ago; and got 2.5% for 6 months, till September
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1530 posts
1176 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Tangerine Interest Rate offer is very YMMV, mine is 2.35% :rolleyes:
Mar 24, 2011
207 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
AustinPower wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 10:18 pm
wow so you can call in and extend for another 6 months ?
Oct 16, 2007
302 posts
32 upvotes
Barrie
AustinPower wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 10:18 pm
I just called today same thing 2.5% till sept 180 days also 2.3 on my TFSA in a GIC for a year
Oct 2, 2011
74 posts
32 upvotes
vancouver bc
I called in just now and got the 2.5% extended for another 90 days from April 3 when my current promotion expiring.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4817 posts
821 upvotes
Scarborough
I have my rate locked in until May 31st, should I ask for an extension?
May 29, 2017
19 posts
6 upvotes
Expect a call from Tangerine for 2.75% for 270 days. I’m currently on the 2.5% offer and they called to switch me to the 2.75% for the entire balance for 270 days.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1072 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
GastonLefou wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 7:51 pm
Expect a call from Tangerine for 2.75% for 270 days. I’m currently on the and they called to switch me to the 2.75% for the entire balance for 270 days.
You were on 2.5% until May 31st offer?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)