• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 4:04 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4026 posts
2253 upvotes
Edmonton
Did not get the offer.

I've stopped playing the Tangerine rate lottery a while ago and put my money in Motive's 2.8% HISA instead.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4823 posts
805 upvotes
I'd be curious to know how many bank accounts the average "rate chasing" RFD'er has currently open, and how much money they keep in their current "highest rate" account. Unless it's hundreds of thousands of dollars (whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???), you're just chasing pennies.

But hey, to each their own I guess. ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1826 posts
470 upvotes
The 2.75% counts for their USD account too... don't remember ever seeing that before. I'm transferring my USD balance over too.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2286 posts
631 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
JustBob wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:24 pm
I'd be curious to know how many bank accounts the average "rate chasing" RFD'er has currently open, and how much money they keep in their current "highest rate" account. Unless it's hundreds of thousands of dollars (whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???), you're just chasing pennies.

But hey, to each their own I guess. ;)
Eh it's the same with ebates or cashback credit card but it all adds up. Usually to quite a bit after a year.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13385 posts
2714 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Finally got myself that bonus interest.

Is it worth opening up a US and RSP Savings Account? I got no free cash for both of them right now. How can I even withdraw US bills from Tangerine?
Feb 28, 2015
616 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I got a td borderless account, which I'm inclined to close and transfer all of the cash to tangerine for 2.75%. However, my only question is that I also have TD US checking / US Visa. Having borderless makes it easier to transfer USD over to pay my US CC. Any thoughts? or alternatives?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1555 posts
370 upvotes
Tangerine is lame. Hope people are moving their money out to force them to come back and play the game. The cool thing though seems to be that the Tangerine offer covers USD too for anyone who has that, I'm glad Tangerine sees that as a competitive advantage.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5124 posts
396 upvotes
Got this offer.
I wonder if they targetted only clients with very little money in their accounts.
I had moved everything to another bank last month, and only had <$100 in my Tangerine chequing & savings accounts combined when I got this offer today.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1871 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
nahsha wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 10:17 pm
I got a td borderless account, which I'm inclined to close and transfer all of the cash to tangerine for 2.75%. However, my only question is that I also have TD US checking / US Visa. Having borderless makes it easier to transfer USD over to pay my US CC. Any thoughts? or alternatives?
You can open a TD Bank (US) account. There are no fees if you keep a minimum of $200 US. To get money into it the easiest way is a TD US $ account here. You only pay for transactions out. $1.50 or something like that. Transfers via Visa Debit are free to TDBank. That way you avoid the monthly cross border fee.

The other option is with RBC on both sides of the border. Moving money then is free but you have to pay a $3.99/month fee on the US side for their chequing account. Paying your TD (US) credit card, or moving money to TD, is easy from RBC Bank (US). If you pay the RBC Bank fee for a year it’s $39.50. No minimum is required in the chequing account on the US side.

You could go the PayPal route but that’s slow.

Am not familiar with BMO and Harris which is yet another option. The two easiest seem to be TD and RBC.

You can have a no fee savings account with RBC but I am not sure if there are restrictions on it for paying bills. The minimum for no transaction fees is $300 and there is a 6 transaction limit.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2135 posts
282 upvotes
Vancouver
ChinpokoMon wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:18 pm
Did not get the offer.

I've stopped playing the Tangerine rate lottery a while ago and put my money in Motive's 2.8% HISA instead.
Same just sticking with motive till there rates go crappy.

Tangerine has gone down hill. I use to get these promos all the time now it's been like 2 years since my last one.... If I did not have their credit card that I use sometimes I probably would have closed account.
Feb 6, 2016
420 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Max 1M$ is killing the deal usually i move my saving from one account to another if it isnt at least 20-30M$, ill pass this offer lol
Nov 17, 2014
510 posts
545 upvotes
QC
Arrow wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 12:42 am
Got this offer.
I wonder if they targetted only clients with very little money in their accounts.
I had moved everything to another bank last month, and only had <$100 in my Tangerine chequing & savings accounts combined when I got this offer today.
Possibly. Didnt move anything out, accepted their terrible 1.6% offer. Didnt get any offer. Will move it out someplace else.
Mar 13, 2012
911 posts
456 upvotes
Near You
I only got 2.3%

Oh well, time to close tangerine and move everything to motive.
💳✈️🌍 American Express Platinum+Gold+Cobalt (Free First-Class Travel) • Rogers WE • STACK
💰 HSBC PremierTangerineEQ BankMotive
📞 Freedom 13GB/45$ • Google Fi 📱 🖥️ Novus 1GIG/60$