• Dec 5th, 2019 4:04 pm
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
1974 posts
1008 upvotes
GTA
fizikz wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 9:07 pm
I talked to the outbound department and they were well aware of Manulife's 3.25% (/3.35%) rate promo, but called it "unsustainable" (LOL) and said in a downward trending rate environment it would not be responsible of them towards their clients to offer such rates. Their final offer was 2.5% with a 50k minimum.
This is hilarious and makes me wonder if they even bother to think before they speak. Translation: "What Manulife is doing is bad for the client because they could go under. Give us the money instead because we will be responsible by giving you a low interest rate." That's essentially what they are saying. It doesn't matter that Manulife is offering this rate only temporarily to ramp up business. That person obviously has no clue about such maneuvers, but, I guess that's what you get from frontline.
Jan 10, 2006
379 posts
154 upvotes
Britex wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 12:44 pm
This is hilarious and makes me wonder if they even bother to think before they speak. Translation: "What Manulife is doing is bad for the client because they could go under. Give us the money instead because we will be responsible by giving you a low interest rate." That's essentially what they are saying. It doesn't matter that Manulife is offering this rate only temporarily to ramp up business. That person obviously has no clue about such maneuvers, but, I guess that's what you get from frontline.
Oh, but this was no frontline person. The outbound department is the one that can make rate offers better than what the frontline CSR have on file. They also apparently cannot be reached directly, nor have CSR transfer calls to them. CSRs can make an internal email request for outbound to call you back in 1-2 business days, only if your request is deemed worthy of it.

When I was asked if I wanted to take their offer, I asked why I would do that if I can get 0.75%+ more elsewhere. Their only reply was "That's a fair point."
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4454 posts
1022 upvotes
GTEH!
Received the email offer also. Activated offer. Need to move money soon.
CT Bank 3.20% offer ending June 30. (YMMV)
Good timing.
😎
Mar 4, 2014
101 posts
39 upvotes
They asked me to move all my savings to a GIC and if that went well, I'd get a promotion next time... Ridiculous their option is for me to lock in my short term/fluid savings in to 3m+. Without even explaining any of the risks. That was an awful customer service call. Really shows the type of bank they are now.
May 14, 2015
91 posts
31 upvotes
literally opend manulife saving account (3.35%) last night, then received the Tangerine offer today. Sorry, Tangerine, too late.
I wouldn't bother to open a Manulife saving account if I received this ofter around the time OP received. I though they‘ve abandoned me 'cos I have parked my money with them for years. tired to play the game ...
Jan 12, 2011
26 posts
5 upvotes
can anyone confirm they got a 2.75% rate for their $US savings account?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1554 posts
369 upvotes
konvict wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:04 am
yes it's for everything
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3726 posts
1081 upvotes
Ottawa
No offer here, they wouldn't even budge on 1.6% when I called in. Opened a Manulife account last night and moved everything there.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1533 posts
1375 upvotes
Vancouver
konvict wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:04 am
That would be unusual - US$ rates are usually quite different from Cdn$ rates, and US$ rates have been plummeting lately. Just last week Tangerine's US$ 1yr GIC rate dropped from 2.5% to 2.1%. Canadian Western Bank is better, but they dropped their rates as well by 0.25%.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1533 posts
1375 upvotes
Vancouver
dirtmover wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 9:23 am
No offer here, they wouldn't even budge on 1.6% when I called in. Opened a Manulife account last night and moved everything there.
I got the offer, and I haven't been keeping much money in Tangerine for more than a year now. But my money is safely parked at 3.1% elsewhere, so I won't be taking advantage of Tangerine's offer.
Aug 16, 2014
230 posts
212 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
All of my money invested currently is in a tangerine TFSA at 1.2%. What would stop me from taking out 99% of it and moving it elsewhere with a higher interest rate?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2012
1231 posts
371 upvotes
Winnipeg
first time i have received this offer and now I have no money to deposit....Great....Days are gone when i borrowed money @ 0% with 1% transfer fees...well....I should get back to work and be busy earning more money :P
Apr 25, 2014
82 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Nothing, as long as you have enough TFSA contribution room leftover in the year to take out the money and re-invest it, or use EMT to do a free TFSA account to TFSA account transfer, or the TFSA transfer fee if the other TFSA account doesn’t support EMT.
Dec 19, 2018
48 posts
59 upvotes
JordanTO wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:12 am
All of my money invested currently is in a tangerine TFSA at 1.2%. What would stop me from taking out 99% of it and moving it elsewhere with a higher interest rate?
There are two scenarios that might stop you:
1. If you already exhausted your current TFSA contribution room, by withdrawing the money out of the TFSA and then deposit it into another TSFA in another FI, that is considered over contribution and the government will ding you for the penalty at a rate of 1% a month until you reduce the contribution.
2. If your plan is to perform a TFSA transfer from one FI into another FI without withdrawing, the original FI will usually charge a transfer fee ($50 or more depends on the FI). So unless you have large enough amount of money that will earn enough interest at the higher rate that will cover the transfer fee and still come out ahead, you will be at a lost.
Nov 21, 2006
79 posts
15 upvotes
Winnipeg
endure wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 3:02 pm
No e-mail but it is in my 'insights' when I log into my account. 2.75% for any amount over what you had in your saving accounts on June 10.

ha! probably because last year when they had this offer, I drained my tangerine, and then put the exact same money back in to get the extra interest.
so now they have the 'over what you had' stipulation..

ah well, i wont bother this year then :)