Tangerine 3 months 2.5% and 3% Expiring - any new offer

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 11:31 pm
Feb 1, 2006
969 posts
157 upvotes
parclub wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 4:40 pm
Strange ????, must depend on who you talk to, I phoned in and was offered a retention of 2.5%, so I simply asked to let me think about it because they
wouldn't offer the 3.21% that most of the others received.

Why not try again tomorrow if you have nowhere else to place the funds. :rolleyes:

The worst that you can do if you only want 2% is RBC, seems that everyone is welcome and they will give you the 2% until Dec 1 without having to beg.Neutral Face
Is RBC not increasing this 2% promo rate with the BOC rate increase? I think someone here posted they increased the regular rate from 0.5% to 0.65%.
May 19, 2008
182 posts
35 upvotes
Mississauga
I got a notice for a 3% promo, but most of my cash is already in a Tangerine account. If I move the money out to EQB and then transfer back to Tangerine, will the funds count as new deposits?
Apr 16, 2009
705 posts
114 upvotes
Vancouver
Dk28 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 6:38 pm
I got a notice for a 3% promo, but most of my cash is already in a Tangerine account. If I move the money out to EQB and then transfer back to Tangerine, will the funds count as new deposits?
Nope. They take a snapshot of the balance at EOD 4 July. Then, anything above that balance starting 5 July will get the promo interest. Sorry!
Jun 23, 2017
69 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dk28 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 6:38 pm
3%? I'm stuck at getting a measly 0.8% from Tangerine on my Tangerine Savings Account. I'm going to call them right away and ask if I can get it bumped up to 3% ...at least for a few months.
Jun 23, 2017
69 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Next123 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:57 pm
wow....didn't win the tangerine lottery promo, called in to ask if I can even get a 2.00% since I'm already maxed out at EQ. They would give me nothing....
so you're only getting @ the standard 0.8% for your deposits at Tangerine?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1820 posts
408 upvotes
905P4N6 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:29 am
3%? I'm stuck at getting a measly 0.8% from Tangerine on my Tangerine Savings Account. I'm going to call them right away and ask if I can get it bumped up to 3% ...at least for a few months.
Let's us know if you are able to get 3%. You would be the first one ever, based on this thread
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9965 posts
2974 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Snippets from behind the Grope 'n Flail's paywall: Here’s why deposit savings rates aren’t budging after the Bank of Canada rate hike
To some observers, the simple explanation is that banks are quicker to pass along rate hikes on products from which they earn money than on those that pay out interest to customers. But the factors banks consider when calculating deposit rates are varied. And while there is some correlation to Bank of Canada rates, competitive dynamics and a bank's own funding needs weigh more heavily in the equation...

Most big banks declined to discuss their pricing strategies in detail. But Royal Bank of Canada spokeswoman Catherine Hudon said the variables the bank considers include "competitive pressures, our cost of funds, regulatory costs and market volatility."

The Bank of Nova Scotia noted that the central bank's rate hike is only one of several factors to consider. Scotiabank uses "a variety of market benchmarks to set rates for both borrowing and deposit products, and those rates don't always move in the same ways and at the same time," said spokeswoman Allison Watkin...

"If none of their competitors move, and they're receiving the amount of deposit money that they ought to, there's really no pressure to pass along these higher rates to depositors," Mr. Laird [president of CanWise Financial and co-founder of Ratehub.ca] said.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2881 posts
508 upvotes
905P4N6 wrote:
Yep ... You tell 'em! :)
Mar 23, 2004
35031 posts
2782 upvotes
Markham
905P4N6 wrote:
I'm going to call them right away and ask if I can get it bumped up to 3% ...at least for a few months.
I wish you the best of luck.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1820 posts
408 upvotes
905P4N6 wrote:
2 years ago, you probably could get 3% (calling in) and even with existing money and for 6 months too (I got that for Jun-Dec 2015). However, that was before the lottery promotions. Now from the posts in this thread, you may get 2.5% if you are lucky
Nov 6, 2013
759 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
905P4N6 wrote:
Would like to see the response here once yo done!! :twisted:
Oct 7, 2013
278 posts
95 upvotes
905P4N6 wrote:

Yup...give 'em hell Harry!!
Apr 19, 2012
402 posts
77 upvotes
TORONTO
So here is a update everyone,

Didn't win the tangerine interest rate promo and was stuck on the 0.8%. Maxed out on the EQ bank limit. Called Tangertine the first time, the guy gave me a flat out no. Called the 2nd time and gave me a no as well (think it was the same guy).

Just called now and this person was alot better. Although was only offered 1.6%, i took it. It was better than the 0.8% i was stuck on.

Sigh...
Jan 29, 2017
252 posts
83 upvotes
Next123 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:59 am
So here is a update everyone,

Didn't win the tangerine interest rate promo and was stuck on the 0.8%. Maxed out on the EQ bank limit. Called Tangertine the first time, the guy gave me a flat out no. Called the 2nd time and gave me a no as well (think it was the same guy).

Just called now and this person was alot better. Although was only offered 1.6%, i took it. It was better than the 0.8% i was stuck on.

Sigh...
Alterna bank has 1.9%