• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2017 11:29 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1320 posts
353 upvotes
parclub wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:04 pm
Another note, JMO, but anyone accepting an offer before the end of September will probably be excluded from the October lottery because they will be on a 90 day offer.
Yes, but at the end of the 90 days, you will be eligible for the January lottery.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1977 posts
453 upvotes
I would take my chances with the lotto promo. Previously, phone offer was mostly 2% with some received 2.5%. Now they upped the offer to 2.75%. So I would think the lotto promo rate would also go higher than before too. I am getting 3.10% currently so keeping my fingers crossed for a 3.5% in October :)
Feb 2, 2007
323 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 12:39 pm
Just call TING on their 1-800 and they'll be happy to move as much as you have to any linked account, includig EQB. The $25k limit is just for online.
You can also do it via online chat.
Dec 11, 2009
337 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
akaManny wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:44 pm
I would be very suspicious about such a call, it might by phishing. Do not answer 'Yes' to any question. Tell them to send you an email, since they should have the email address associated with your account.
I was too. I did exactly as you said. I asked them to send me a confirmation email.
Dec 11, 2009
337 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
parclub wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:04 pm
Tangerine seems to becoming up with dumber & dumber ideas every month. IIRC, when I used to deal with Tang I left a box unchecked that gave them permission to contact me by phone. One would think that in 2017, with all of the scams that are going on, Tang would refrain from pestering their clients via the telephone.

They are an on-line bank, ergo, they have everyone's email address so why not show a little respect and just send the offer ?

Oh, I forgot, I really believe that they like people to have to phone in and beg.Face With Tears Of Joy

Another note, JMO, but anyone accepting an offer before the end of September will probably be excluded from the October lottery because they will be on a 90 day offer.
Couldn't agree with you more. It's just a PIA having them conduct business this way.

Makes sense, especially because of the feedback history posted here.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
8326 posts
325 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 1:48 pm
Regarding the next Tangerine lotto promo:

If all my funds leave Tangerine on Oct. 2 will my balance be $0 on the snapshot date or will that be too late?

I am thinking of pulling from EQ on Sep 28 to have a double interest weekend.
I recalled last time my money was HOLD in EQ bank for about 5 days + weekend, sou after a week I could move back my money to Tangerine. Maybe better just move it to Tangerine checking account?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS:
Banned
Sep 17, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes
Did the last lottery promo include or exclude money in the Chequing Account as New deposit ?

I mean those who moved money to their chequing from their savings before the deadline and got the lottery promo.

When they moved the money back to the savings from the chequing, was that considered as NEW money or deposit or not ?
Banned
Sep 17, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:33 pm
I would take my chances with the lotto promo. Previously, phone offer was mostly 2% with some received 2.5%. Now they upped the offer to 2.75%. So I would think the lotto promo rate would also go higher than before too. I am getting 3.10% currently so keeping my fingers crossed for a 3.5% in October :)
Right now I am on their pathetic 2 % retention rate which gets over on 24 th September for me. Should I wait for their lottery promo or try and get 2.75 % if they offer it to me.

I have close to $ 310,000 in my Savings account. I know its a large sum, but I don't want to put in RE or Mutual Funds or Stocks right now. I am OK with 2.75 % for the time being, don't want to take the risk of Stocks, MF etc.

Its more than the CDIC limit. That too I am Ok with as I don't think Tangerine with backing of Scotia is going under.
Oct 19, 2016
347 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
I think its because EQ has a limit of "only" $100,000 maximum account balance.. so people got to invest their extra $$$ else where.

parclub wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:51 pm
Why would you do that when EQ is paying 2.3% without having to phone Tangerine and keep begging ? Smiling Face With Horns
Jul 22, 2015
46 posts
9 upvotes
Hi carolinesuen, I would definitely move your money out, and wait for their promo early October. With the amount that you have, you will have to call them to move it. They will ask you why you want to move your money out, and see what best offer they can give you. I took their 2.5% last time when I said I would move it. Hindsight I should have moved it and took their bonus offer later. I probably would have gotten 0.5 % more, which doesn't sound much, but I also have a large some of money in my savings as well.

Come Sept 25th when my bonus rate ends, I will move it out without asking for their best offer. Makes it simple because the last I asked them, and declined, they kept on asking if I decline their offer. I said I am not accepting or declining, just moving my funds.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1977 posts
453 upvotes
carolinesuen wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:35 am
Right now I am on their pathetic 2 % retention rate which gets over on 24 th September for me. Should I wait for their lottery promo or try and get 2.75 % if they offer it to me.

I have close to $ 310,000 in my Savings account. I know its a large sum, but I don't want to put in RE or Mutual Funds or Stocks right now. I am OK with 2.75 % for the time being, don't want to take the risk of Stocks, MF etc.

Its more than the CDIC limit. That too I am Ok with as I don't think Tangerine with backing of Scotia is going under.
Our guess would be Wednesday which is Oct 4 where Tangerine will use as a marker date for tallying your balance. If you can get 2.75% starting Sep 25th then you have ahead 10 days of 1.85% more than 0.9%. I just did a very rough calculations. It seems your break even point is around 2.96%. So unless you get 3% or higher from the lottery rate. It's better to take 2.75% on Sep 25th if they offer
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
462 posts
138 upvotes
carolinesuen wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:35 am

if you want to play Tang Lotto with over 200K you must open Alterna, EQ and PCF then make sure your retention expiry date few days before the lotto date. Your retention now expires 10 days b4 the Lotto draw so i would open an eq and Alterna and move $$$ this way you are earning 2.3% and 1.9% and wait for the lotto date if you get lucky great if not call tangerine and get the retention offer with over 300K you will get the top offer and good luck then your next retention expiry date just 2 days away from the next draw
Dec 11, 2016
30 posts
26 upvotes
Called Tangerine this morning, they offered me a measly 1.6%. Told them I'm moving my money to EQ.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

azdinflash