Tangerine Interest Rate Lottery thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2024 11:28 am
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3587 posts
2945 upvotes
Montreal
AFAIK the online withdrawal limit at Tangerine is now 50k per day. Breaking up your withdrawal into multiple transactions does not impact the hard 50k/day limit. This limit has fluctuated over time, I recall it being 100k->50k->25k->50k.

This is very different from PCF where the online withdrawal limit is 50k per transaction and you can make unlimited transactions back to back.
Wealthsimple Premium
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8476 posts
6210 upvotes
S5 wrote: AFAIK the online withdrawal limit at Tangerine is now 50k per day. Breaking up your withdrawal into multiple transactions does not impact the hard 50k/day limit. This limit has fluctuated over time, I recall it being 100k->50k->25k->50k.

This is very different from PCF where the online withdrawal limit is 50k per transaction and you can make unlimited transactions back to back.
I think that was for transferring out. If you link Tangerine with EQ both ways. You can pull the money from the other end each time and don't have to worry about the limit or calling either of them. The downside is the money will be on hold for 5 days each pull.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
barricuda wrote: I was wondering if it was higher for moving between your own accounts like Tangerine to PC and back.
As others have said, it's usually a lot more than $3k, typically $25k to $50k per day. The specifics depend on each institution as well as the direction (push or pull.) That's why I suggested using the phone.
What is TING? is that Tangerine's nickname on RFD or something more official or something completely different?
It's derived from TangerING, which itself reflects ING Direct becoming Tangerine.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1811 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: They told me that explicitly last September. If I decline the renewal offer (a) I won't get a better offer in September and (b) if I then called back to accept the 2% offer, they'll turn me down because I declined.

As the lottery slogan says, "You can't win if you don't play [TING's games]."
LOL

so basically what they are saying to their customers is the best action with TING is to move money out and wait .... its like they dont want people to keep savings account with them anymore and just want to sell their MF and chequing ... like the rest of the banks.

its indeed RIP for ING.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
qewcool wrote: so basically what they are saying to their customers is the best action with TING is to move money out and wait .... its like they dont want people to keep savings account with them anymore
It's more subtle than that. They're hoping that most people either won't keep up with their offers or won't bother to move funds around to play the games. As a result most of their deposits will sit idle earning a measly 0.8%. That way only a relatively small number of customers will earn the full 2% to 3% that's available to those who play and win.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 2, 2015
262 posts
146 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
bylo wrote: It's more subtle than that. They're hoping that most people either won't keep up with their offers or won't bother to move funds around to play the games. As a result most of their deposits will sit idle earning a measly 0.8%. That way only a relatively small number of customers will earn the full 2% to 3% that's available to those who play and win.
It's hard to believe that most of their deposits will sit idle earning a measly 0.8% when there are so many alternatives available. For example,if one wants to simply leave their money alone, Alterna will pay 1.95% to do just that.
IMO, anyone that just leaves money rotting at 0.80% is a good candidate for a Darwin award. :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: I don't bother to call anymore. Right now the money is in my fiance's account. When March 31st occurs, we pull all the money out and stick it into our Joint PC account. Once I know my Tangerine gets the new promo rate, we move it all to my Tangerine account.

For those of you who have a partner, I suggest doing that. Less headache.
Be wary of potential CRA issues when comingling money between individual and joint accounts unless you're appropriately reporting the income on the capital contributor's return(s).
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13051 posts
3737 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: Be wary of potential CRA issues when comingling money between individual and joint accounts unless you're appropriately reporting the income on the capital contributor's return(s).
We just split it all in half since we earn the same income.
Jan 16, 2009
521 posts
315 upvotes
Vancouver
Conquistador wrote: Be wary of potential CRA issues when comingling money between individual and joint accounts unless you're appropriately reporting the income on the capital contributor's return(s).
speedyforme wrote: We just split it all in half since we earn the same income.
Has anyone actually been audited by CRA for this? I always think, when you get married, it's going to be 50/50 anyways for joint accounts since if you ever split then it gets divided in half. Doesn't make sense if one spouse makes 100k and the other makes nothing, that the 100k spouse has to pay all the interest income, when the account is shared. If your accounts are not joint, then you can't really split it anyways.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
parclub wrote: It's hard to believe that most of their deposits will sit idle earning a measly 0.8% when there are so many alternatives available.
You'd think so. I agree. But don't underestimate the power of inertia. People get an e-mail offer for 2% or 3% for 3 months. They're busy. They're innumerate. So they rationalize that it's "just" a percent or two and "only" for a couple of months and thus not worth the bother. That might even be true for smallish and medium accounts with a few $1ks. But to TING, across potentially 1,000s of such accounts it's a large amount.
For example,if one wants to simply leave their money alone, Alterna will pay 1.95% to do just that.
So will EQ Bank at 2%. But again, there's inertia. People have to go to the hassle of opening another account, setting up linkage, and then moving money back and forth. RFDers will do it--sometimes in order to scoop just an extra few dollars. But we're not typical of the population in general.

I don't doubt for a moment that TING management have studied their customers' habits over the past few years of these promos. They've seen what happens when you offer different rates to different people. They've run their numbers. They know if this strategy is working for them. Do you think they'd continue with it if it was costing them money?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8476 posts
6210 upvotes
wayneg9999 wrote: Has anyone actually been audited by CRA for this? I always think, when you get married, it's going to be 50/50 anyways for joint accounts since if you ever split then it gets divided in half. Doesn't make sense if one spouse makes 100k and the other makes nothing, that the 100k spouse has to pay all the interest income, when the account is shared. If your accounts are not joint, then you can't really split it anyways.
I think you have to be consistent on how you reporting it. For > 25 years we married, my wife only worked part time the first few years, then she stopped from then. Because we always have joint accounts (from savings to chequings to investments), so all interest incomes, we always equally split. Maybe I am lucky but never once audited by CRA
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1811 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: You'd think so. I agree. But don't underestimate the power of inertia.
Agree too.
All the big businesses are built on the laziness of customers aka the inertia principle.
Banks, telecoms, pharma, healthcare.

Like Bell offering attractive promotions then shadow increasing prices by 3 bucks every quarter hoping people wont care to cancel and switch.
or any of the other banks, nickel and diming their way to profitability.

Thus the point being the ING part of TING is all but dead.

Hopefully others like Alterna can pick up the pieces.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21222 posts
5938 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
S5 wrote: AFAIK the online withdrawal limit at Tangerine is now 50k per day. Breaking up your withdrawal into multiple transactions does not impact the hard 50k/day limit. This limit has fluctuated over time, I recall it being 100k->50k->25k->50k.

You can still phone them and ask the CSR to move larger amounts. I've done it and it was very easy. Also, the CSR offered me a promo interest rate to keep the money, but it was a fairly lame rate.
Plane606 wrote: I told the rep I will pass on their offer. He then asked if I was declining. I said I was not accepting or declining their offer. I am not making a decision. He was a bit rude, and asked again whether I was declining. I said I am not deciding other way, and reminded him he never asked at the beginning that I had to make a decision. I then said I had to confirm with wife what she wanted, and would get back to Tangerine later.

The reason I think they are asking me if I am declining is that they will flag me for no promo for next 90 days.

I called again next day. Guess what? The person I spoke to looked into my account, then said he was busy with RRSP work and passed me on to another CSR person. That person was the same person I spoke to the day before.

The guy once again asked if I am accepting or declining the 2% offer. I said neither. I then said I needed to move my money out for investment purposes. He was really pushy, and said that their offer was the best around and that if I came back to Tangerine, I may not be offer the 2% again. I was ticked off the last time I talked to him, and more while spoke to him this time. I proceeded to pull my funds out.

I used to like Tangerine, and still do to a point. If they offer me a better promo, of course I go back but as of now. I will move it to EQ and Zag. Too many games with Tangerine. I am not sure if I will get the next promo offer, but that is okay. I can park my funds elsewhere. The rates may not be better than 2% but loyalty and good customer should count for something. Tangerine seems to forget that sometimes.
I don't think declining causes you to be excluded.
For example, I phoned in late December to have my money transferred out (since it was above the $25K limit.) I got the lame 1.6% counter-offer and then the whole "are you declining" speech. I kept saying, "1.6 percent? Not good enough!" The agent would not give it up until I explicitly said "I'm declining the offer."
What do you know, less than 2 weeks later, I got the 3.25% offer until the end of March.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
Jucius Maximus wrote: You can still phone them and ask the CSR to move larger amounts. I've done it and it was very easy.
I had Hubert pull $100,000 out of Tangerine from their end, and there was no need to phone in to authorize that.
Jul 22, 2015
79 posts
28 upvotes
Vernon, BC
Jucius Maximus wrote: You can still phone them and ask the CSR to move larger amounts. I've done it and it was very easy. Also, the CSR offered me a promo interest rate to keep the money, but it was a fairly lame rate.

I don't think declining causes you to be excluded.
For example, I phoned in late December to have my money transferred out (since it was above the $25K limit.) I got the lame 1.6% counter-offer and then the whole "are you declining" speech. I kept saying, "1.6 percent? Not good enough!" The agent would not give it up until I explicitly said "I'm declining the offer."
What do you know, less than 2 weeks later, I got the 3.25% offer until the end of March.
Thank you Jucius Maximus, I hope they don't decline for their next offer. Funny thing is that a few days after my funds was moved into my CIBC acct , and into e-advantage for just this month. My new CIBC rep calls me to review my RRSP. I think it's more to do with the fact I moved a large sum of money into CIBC.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wayneg9999 wrote: Has anyone actually been audited by CRA for this?
I've seen articles in the media about this. Generally CRA will only get involved with large transactions. So if you're doing this in a $10k account you're probably safe. But if it's the proceeds of a house sale, then beware. CRA may challenge you if they have reason to believe there's been a violation of the attribution rules.

The other risk is that CRA discovers a violation of the attribution rules as the result of auditing something else. For example they challenge your claim of capital gains on an investment sale and in the process of going over your accounting discover that it was your spouse who originally put up the money on which you are now claiming the gain.

FWIW a recent article that summarizes the rules: Splitting income is a great way to save tax, but you must do it properly
I always think, when you get married, it's going to be 50/50 anyways for joint accounts since if you ever split then it gets divided in half. Doesn't make sense if one spouse makes 100k and the other makes nothing, that the 100k spouse has to pay all the interest income, when the account is shared.

Just because you have a joint account doesn't necessarily mean the money in it was deposited 50/50 by the two spouses. If it wasn't then you have to follow the attribution rules, at least in theory.

That said, all marriages are unique. Not all couples use joint accounts exclusively. This is especially true with older couples and second, etc. marriages where one spouse may have considerably more assets than the other and has reasons for keeping those assets separate in case the new marriage fails, e.g. an inheritance, funds set aside for children from a previous marriage, etc. These things are usually much simpler when you're young, have few assets and no one else that depends on them.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
3279 posts
1272 upvotes
Montreal
Called in this week and got 1.6% for another 3 months....
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7132 posts
3735 upvotes
Montreal
How do the promos work? My introductory rate of 2.4% expired last month. If they do offer a new promo rate in April, will it just appear via online banking? Will I have to do anything? Will it only apply to new deposits?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21222 posts
5938 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
psyko514 wrote: How do the promos work? My introductory rate of 2.4% expired last month. If they do offer a new promo rate in April, will it just appear via online banking? Will I have to do anything? Will it only apply to new deposits?
Just make sure you move all of the money out of savings slightly before the end of the current promo. It can even be in your Tangerine chequing.
If you get a new offer, they will send an e-mail and also it will appear when you log in to Tangerine.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7132 posts
3735 upvotes
Montreal
Jucius Maximus wrote: Just make sure you move all of the money out of savings slightly before the end of the current promo. It can even be in your Tangerine chequing.
If you get a new offer, they will send an e-mail and also it will appear when you log in to Tangerine.
OK, and the current promo cycle should be ending at the end of this month? I'm currently not receiving any promo rate and the account is new (opened in August) so I'm not sure how it works. Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)