• Aug 17th, 2017 3:06 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10174 posts
3741 upvotes
BC
bylo wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:13 pm
Consider yourself very lucky. The vast majority of people posting here (perhaps even everyone but you) report that if you accept TING's initial renewal rate, currently 2%, they won't send you a higher rate offer at the beginning of the next quarter. And if you call them because you read about that higher rate here they won't raise your renewal rate. That's certainly been my experience. They let me walk out the door with 6 figures because of that. So now I move my money out late in the quarter and let them come to me.
He's not talking about the rate lottery promo.

He's talking about calling in to match other higher beggar's rate promos.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1238 posts
81 upvotes
with tangerine ... its HIGHLY YMMV

its basically the theme of their rate marketing strategy : keep people guessing and phoning in for a custom rate so they can say yes or no without having to match with anybody.
They do not want the average (aka lazy) customers to have a reference and expectation with regards to rate.

same strategy as with the telecom : plenty of promos you have to phone in every 6-8 months to negotiate with no uniform price reference or expectation.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
442 posts
134 upvotes
Darkman wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:34 pm
If their promo rate goes up ... you can still get it / renegotiate it so to speak ...

For example I was at 2% in the past ... but heard (here on RFD) that they were giving out 3% to some ... so I called them .. and no problem ... they gave me 3 months at 3%, cancelling the previous 2% promo.

just to add to this Darkman is right many ppl including myself got 3% after accepting the 2% I believe it was at the beginning of Oct 2016 and he did say in the past but not this time around
Nov 4, 2008
278 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
Darkman wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:34 pm
If their promo rate goes up ... you can still get it / renegotiate it so to speak ...

For example I was at 2% in the past ... but heard (here on RFD) that they were giving out 3% to some ... so I called them .. and no problem ... they gave me 3 months at 3%, cancelling the previous 2% promo.
agit wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:07 pm
just to add to this Darkman is right many ppl including myself got 3% after accepting the 2% I believe it was at the beginning of Oct 2016 and he did say in the past but not this time around
Didn't work for me and I called 3 times! I accepted their 2% when my old promo ended end of December and then in January people were getting higher rates again and I'm stuck with 2% until March 22! They would not budge even after taking all my money out to EQ, tried calling 3 times and they would NOT change my promo rate to higher.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10174 posts
3741 upvotes
BC
agit wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:07 pm

brutus99 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:49 pm
Didn't work for me and I called 3 times! I accepted their 2% when my old promo ended end of December and then in January people were getting higher rates again and I'm stuck with 2% until March 22! They would not budge even after taking all my money out to EQ, tried calling 3 times and they would NOT change my promo rate to higher.
Again, you guys are talking about different things.

Please distinguish between standard quarterly "rate lottery" type promo, and "beggar's promo" where you call in and get your own 90-day schedule.

Nobody has reported/confirmed that they were on a "beggar's promo" and got offered any "rate lottery" promo.

What people have confirmed is you can do "beggar's promo redux" ... call back in and re-beg and get a better rate to match other beggars.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1112 posts
169 upvotes
Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much you can transfer at one time or if there is a daily limit? Just wondering if I should pull my money out starting a few days before the deadline.
Alex
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
1846 posts
395 upvotes
Edmonton
sherman51 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 4:48 pm
Does anyone know if there is a limit on how much you can transfer at one time or if there is a daily limit? Just wondering if I should pull my money out starting a few days before the deadline.
. $50k online...Any amount on phone
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1112 posts
169 upvotes
frankmp wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 6:27 pm
Per day, or per transfer or both?
Alex
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1889 posts
435 upvotes
frankmp wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 6:27 pm
Only if you push from Tangerine. If you pull from EQ, definitely you can pull more than 50K and no need to talk to anyone. I don't really know the limit (if there is one) but my guess would be $500K
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1550 posts
99 upvotes
brutus99 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:49 pm
so what is your plan after March 22? call to extend it (2%) or wait for a new promo (possible up to 3%?)?
Nov 4, 2008
278 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
leoben wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 10:35 pm
so what is your plan after March 22? call to extend it (2%) or wait for a new promo (possible up to 3%?)?
Will wait & see what Tangerine offers to others but for the time being will keep the money in EQ. Hopefully Tangerine will have a new promo rate of 3% or higher (I had 3.25% & 3% promo rate in 2016). Will be monitoring this thread & others lol
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1443 posts
386 upvotes
Victoria
This must be a thread full of ADD people. Wait for the quarterly offer - it's always higher than what you get calling in.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1847 posts
656 upvotes
Montreal
sherman51 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 6:39 pm
Per day, or per transfer or both?
Per day.
Dec 13, 2010
751 posts
194 upvotes
ON
Question here. Can anyone confirm that if I move my money from Tangerine savings to the Tangerine Checking account on the 31st I will be ok for the new LOTTERY promotion? I think I'm covered.

I know you guys will say, just move it to EQ but point is, I don't want to move to EQ if I don't have to.
I'd rather just transfer to Checking on the 31st, wait for the offer, then I can move back to savings.
May 17, 2012
732 posts
244 upvotes
grand valley
When transferring to EQ, can you pull directly out of Tangerine Savings or do you have to move it to Chequing first and pull from there?

I successfully linked the Tangerine Savings account from EQ and not thinking, just attempted a pull from Tangerine Savings to EQ.. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days.