Personal Finance

Tangerine Interest Rate Lottery thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 3:03 pm
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Darkman wrote: Tried this chit first time ever .. and got nothing ...

I wonder if it's somehow tied up to people inquiring about "what's next" promo rate on the entire amount .. and when offered something (as was 2% in my case), declining it ... ??

And where is that "summer promo" or something like that click ... lol .. I don't even see it ... ??

Tangerine are bastards, in any case!
Never mind ... I found it ... and nothing new is there :(
Dec 29, 2006
401 posts
407 upvotes
BC here~~~
I've got this when I login~
so.. this is the same rate as EQ bank then....

"Sorry for the interruption, but we couldn't wait to let you know that you've qualified for a special interest rate offer.

New deposits, up to $500,000, to your Tangerine Savings Account(s) and Tax-Free Savings Accounts made from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017 will earn 2.3% interest* until Sep 30, 2017.

Make the most of this special rate while it's available."
Oct 8, 2006
679 posts
505 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
piling wrote: I'm from BC. Logged into my account and got 2.3% for new deposits only from July 5 to Sept. 30, 2017. The offer was stated when I looked into My contest entries and bonuses.

I haven't receive an email yet.
Also from BC...no email but the offer showed up when you first log in with a notice...Sorry to interrupt...but you have qualified for........ my wife got 3.1% but received no offers on 2 other accounts....money had been removed from all 3 accounts prior to July 1.
May 3, 2015
258 posts
128 upvotes
BC
Here in BC got 3.22% offer. Emptied my account a couple of months ago. Moving back in for the offer.
Jan 23, 2009
946 posts
1932 upvotes
Ontario
we have 3 account

1- Account#1 was on retention for over 1.5 years moved $$$ out on June 26 no offer note that i called June 28 for the %2.50 was told no
2- Account#2 was on retention but moved $$$ out back in Mar no offer last promo today received %3.22
2- Account#2 was on retention for over 1.5 years moved $$$ out on April 7 today offer %2.69

it seems that if you were on retention and $$$ moved out for at least 60 days you get an offer anyone ???
Last edited by agit on Jul 5th, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Got 2.5% this time but had to phone in and deal with another issue at the same time. Tangerine had a promo back in January where they paid you $10 for every grand you transferred over into an investment (GIC, TFSA, MF) and I never received it. They're still looking into this but in the mean time offered me 2.5%.

I'm still going to put money into Home Cap's 1 year at 2.75% GIC. I'm no longer worried about them going under, will maintain the $100,000 level just in-case. The have 2 divisions at Home Cap (Home Trust & Home Bank), so for those interested, you can put upto $100,000 into each - but no more!

My last Tangerine offer was 2.37%. 2.5% made my day and will be in-effect until October 2nd!
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
This is what I saw when I logged in this morning:

Sorry for the interruption, but we couldn't wait to let you know that you've qualified for a special interest rate offer.

New deposits, up to $500,000, to your Tangerine Savings Account(s) and Tax-Free Savings Accounts made from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017 will earn 2.97% interest* until Sep 30, 2017.

Make the most of this special rate while it's available.

* 2.97% interest rate Offer is current as of Jul 05, 2017 and is calculated by adding the Bank's current applicable Posted Rate with the Additional Interest rate of 2.17%. The Offer is only applicable to Tangerine Savings Accounts and Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts ("Applicable Accounts") from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017. A number of the same type of Applicable Accounts is defined as an "Applicable Account Type". Additional Interest will apply to net new Eligible Deposits made between Jul 05, 2017 and Sep 30, 2017 of up to $500,000 per Applicable Account Type for Clients who have received a communication about the Offer directly from Tangerine. Clients must be the Primary Account Holder on the Applicable Account. The Offer does not apply to certain Account types, as outlined in the full Offer Terms and Conditions. The applicable Posted Rate and the Additional Interest rate are annualized rates, calculated daily and paid monthly. Any Applicable Account closed prior to the payment of Additional Interest will forfeit any Additional Interest calculated during the month in which the Applicable Account is closed. This Offer and interest rates are subject to change without notice. All terms not defined here are outlined in the Full Offer Terms and Conditions which can be viewed here.

** Canada Revenue Agency contribution limits apply. Clients are responsible for ensuring that their contributions are within the maximum allowable amounts for savings to be tax-free and/or not over their contribution limits.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
agit wrote: we have 3 account

1- Account#1 was on retention for over 1.5 years moved $$$ out on June 26 no offer note that i called June 28 for the %2.50 was told no
2- Account#2 was on retention but moved $$$ out back in Mar no offer last promo today received %3.22
2- Account#2 was on retention for over 1.5 years moved $$$ out on April 7 today offer %2.69

it seems that if you were on retention and $$$ moved out for at least 60 days you get an offer anyone ???
Maybe this could be the key? Have the money transferred out for at least 60 days or more. Totally envious about the 2.69% and 3.22% rates!
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Sep 6, 2009
704 posts
310 upvotes
Last time: 3.21% in all 3 accounts
This time: 3.1% in all 3 accounts
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
4282 posts
4638 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
The 2.5% you got is not a "Summer Saving" event, it's a call-in limited time offer. I also got this one when I found they only gave me 2.3% for Summer Saving.
Anyways, it seems Tangerine now is capable of providing another tier of saving rates other than 1.6% and 2.0% when you phone in.
Frankie3s wrote: Got 2.5% this time but had to phone in and deal with another issue at the same time. Tangerine had a promo back in January where they paid you $10 for every grand you transferred over into an investment (GIC, TFSA, MF) and I never received it. They're still looking into this but in the mean time offered me 2.5%.

I'm still going to put money into Home Cap's 1 year at 2.75% GIC. I'm no longer worried about them going under, will maintain the $100,000 level just in-case. The have 2 divisions at Home Cap (Home Trust & Home Bank), so for those interested, you can put upto $100,000 into each - but no more!

My last Tangerine offer was 2.37%. 2.5% made my day and will be in-effect until October 2nd!
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
BC what a joke.
Special offer: Earn 2% interest on your Account until July 21, 2017
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
newt_101 wrote: This is what I saw when I logged in this morning:

Sorry for the interruption, but we couldn't wait to let you know that you've qualified for a special interest rate offer.

New deposits, up to $500,000, to your Tangerine Savings Account(s) and Tax-Free Savings Accounts made from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017 will earn 2.97% interest* until Sep 30, 2017.

* 2.97% interest rate Offer is current as of Jul 05, 2017 and is calculated by adding the Bank's current applicable Posted Rate with the Additional Interest rate of 2.17%. The Offer is only applicable to Tangerine Savings Accounts and Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts ("Applicable Accounts") from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017. A number of the same type of Applicable Accounts is defined as an "Applicable Account Type". Additional Interest will apply to net new Eligible Deposits made between Jul 05, 2017 and Sep 30, 2017 of up to $500,000 per Applicable Account Type for Clients who have received a communication about the Offer directly from Tangerine. Clients must be the Primary Account Holder on the Applicable Account. The Offer does not apply to certain Account types, as outlined in the full Offer Terms and Conditions. The applicable Posted Rate and the Additional Interest rate are annualized rates, calculated daily and paid monthly. Any Applicable Account closed prior to the payment of Additional Interest will forfeit any Additional Interest calculated during the month in which the Applicable Account is closed. This Offer and interest rates are subject to change without notice. All terms not defined here are outlined in the Full Offer Terms and Conditions which can be viewed here.

** Canada Revenue Agency contribution limits apply. Clients are responsible for ensuring that their contributions are within the maximum allowable amounts for savings to be tax-free and/or not over their contribution limits.
Did you have money transferred out at least 60 days or more to somewhere else? Just trying to narrow down if these better rates are being offered to "lost money" somewhere else?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
Wow I just got the same message:

Hi xxxx,

New deposits, up to $500,000, to your Tangerine Savings Account(s) and Tax-Free Savings Accounts made from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017 will earn 3.22% interest* until Sep 30, 2017.

* 3.22% interest rate Offer is current as of Jul 05, 2017 and is calculated by adding the Bank's current applicable Posted Rate with the Additional Interest rate of 2.42%. The Offer is only applicable to Tangerine Savings Accounts and Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts ("Applicable Accounts") from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017. A number of the same type of Applicable Accounts is defined as an "Applicable Account Type". Additional Interest will apply to net new Eligible Deposits made between Jul 05, 2017 and Sep 30, 2017 of up to $500,000 per Applicable Account Type for Clients who have received a communication about the Offer directly from Tangerine. Clients must be the Primary Account Holder on the Applicable Account. The Offer does not apply to certain Account types, as outlined in the full Offer Terms and Conditions. The applicable Posted Rate and the Additional Interest rate are annualized rates, calculated daily and paid monthly. Any Applicable Account closed prior to the payment of Additional Interest will forfeit any Additional Interest calculated during the month in which the Applicable Account is closed. This Offer and interest rates are subject to change without notice. All terms not defined here are outlined in the Full Offer Terms and Conditions which can be viewed here.

Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
4018 posts
4409 upvotes
GTA
Acct 1:
Last time: Nothing
This time: Nothing

Acct 2:
Last time: Sign up 2.4% Promo Ended mid way
This time: 3.22%

Moving everything out of EQ till September 30 :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2750 upvotes
Vancouver
Same here. 1 of 6 accounts in BC just received offer for 3.22% from July 5 to Sept 30. Account that got offer transferred ~$65k out a month or two ago after initial 6 month promo rate ended.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: Same here. 1 of 6 accounts in BC just received offer for 3.22% from July 5 to Sept 30. Account that got offer transferred ~$65k out a month or two ago after initial 6 month promo rate ended.
We may have a clue here about how the offers are decided upon.
Dec 3, 2015
13 posts
7 upvotes
Nipawin, SK
Summer 2016: 3.07%
Fall 2016: 2%
Winter 2017: 3.25%
Spring 2017: 3.21%
Summer 2017: 0.8% :(

Was good while it lasted.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Frankie3s wrote: Did you have money transferred out at least 60 days or more to somewhere else? Just trying to narrow down if these better rates are being offered to "lost money" somewhere else?
I don't understand the '60 days' part.
My money (about $30K) was withdrawn from Tangerine to EQ on the weekend, and Tangerine posted that it was withdrawn on 7/4 (yesterday).
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
newt_101 wrote: I don't understand the '60 days' part.
My money (about $30K) was withdrawn from Tangerine to EQ on the weekend, and Tangerine posted that it was withdrawn on 7/4 (yesterday).
Correct .. cuz weekend and holidays do not count ... it's posted on the next business day ...
Dec 19, 2010
671 posts
5147 upvotes
Vancouver
I got 2.97% on new deposits from Tangerine. However, RBC offered me 2% on all new deposits, and all my cash savings are still sitting in a Tangerine account. Which means, I'll get more out of switching to the 2% interest rate at RBC anyway. I'll move it back to Tangerine if they have a good offer in September.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)