• Aug 16th, 2018 8:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2118 posts
698 upvotes
Everywhere

Tangerine Android App Strange Behaviour

I wanted to do some banking on the Tangerine Android app on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9). When I launched it, I saw this,
It seemed strange that it didn't just update automatically like all of my other Android apps.
I clicked on the upgrade link and it downloaded the app. However, it did not upgrade the app. It added a second app on my phone.
There are indeed two apps on my phone because when I click on one, it gives me the logon ID with the dialog box as shown above. When I click on the other one, I get a screen without my client number information,
Super sketchy. I deleted both.

EDIT: One the second go around, after I deleted both apps, I went back into the Google Play Store and downloaded the Tangerine App again. I got the first one with the upgrade message. This is very unbelievable.

It's a good thing I'm going to see my new account manager at Coast Capital today!

ps. I should add that I do not download sketchy apps on my phone. I'm still using the stock Samsung launcher!

Tangerine seems to be the sketchiest though
Last edited by batcave on Aug 10th, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Dec 3, 2017
899 posts
564 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I don't know why Tangerine did this but when they added support for Google Pay to their app, they made it so that you have to download a completely new app instead of just an update. Is it creepy, a bit, but the new app should be legitimate.
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member!
Aug 15, 2009
24 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
Tangerine doesn't like Android...

Anyway legit. Just delete the older app.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2118 posts
698 upvotes
Everywhere
jacnel wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 12:09 pm
I don't know why Tangerine did this but when they added support for Google Pay to their app, they made it so that you have to download a completely new app instead of just an update. Is it creepy, a bit, but the new app should be legitimate.
It is very creepy. Also, I could not find the new app in the Google Play store.

My thought is, has this app been hacked and and why am I downloading a second app?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2118 posts
698 upvotes
Everywhere
elpaso wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 12:13 pm
Tangerine doesn't like Android...

Anyway legit. Just delete the older app.
Yeah they don't. I recall the app didn't work on my Galaxy S7 for several months.
Mar 14, 2014
28 posts
17 upvotes
Sometimes apps cannot upgrade because there was significant change, it then requires a clean install. Unfortunately Tangerine did not clearly communicate the change beforehand to it's users and caused unnecessary concern and inconvenience.
Dec 3, 2017
899 posts
564 upvotes
Guelph, ON
batcave wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 12:19 pm
It is very creepy. Also, I could not find the new app in the Google Play store.

My thought is, has this app been hacked and and why am I downloading a second app?
Yeah I thought it was creepy to but I appears to be legit
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2118 posts
698 upvotes
Everywhere
flyjazz wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 12:41 pm
Sometimes apps cannot upgrade because there was significant change, it then requires a clean install. Unfortunately Tangerine did not clearly communicate the change beforehand to it's users and caused unnecessary concern and inconvenience.
That's sketchy on several levels.
May 10, 2016
18 posts
10 upvotes
At least you can download it. I got the same message but then the android store refused to download it and gave me the error of it being incompatible with my new 2018 phone running 8.0.0...I called tangerine but they told me to keep trying and tell them if it works. Anyway, it's a broken rollout and in just using the website for now.
Aug 10, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
I find that super sketchy and bizarre... it does seem to be a malicious attempt... anyone has been able to analyse the code or talked with Tangerine to confirm this is legit?
Nov 8, 2017
520 posts
214 upvotes
This is why I don't use banking apps. I just use my INTERNET and use the sites directly.
Aug 10, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
Finally got a reply from Tangerine. Since they made change to now accept apple pay and samsung pay, users needs to redownload the app. So even tho this looks sketchy as ****, this is legit and a real Tangerine app.
Feb 1, 2018
456 posts
414 upvotes
Montréal
SpeakingColors wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 8:53 am
Finally got a reply from Tangerine. Since they made change to now accept apple pay and samsung pay, users needs to redownload the app. So even tho this looks sketchy as ****, this is legit and a real Tangerine app.
Doesn't really explain why they released it as an entirely new app instead of just an update. But okay.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)