Personal Finance

[Tangerine] Any news regarding making it more convenient post Exchange Network?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2014 12:11 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau

[Tangerine] Any news regarding making it more convenient post Exchange Network?

Tangerine CEO (Peter Aceto) has recently posted (August 15th, 2014) the following video on their website regarding Tangerine Promises

The Video pretty much summaries -> http://www.tangerine.ca/en/about-us/our ... index.html

[IMG]http://s11.postimg.org/rrmh85w43/Tangerine_Promises.jpg[/IMG]

--------------

One significant promise they made 6 months ago, was committing to find way(s) to make it easier for those not close to Scotiabank ATMs, to maintain the same level of convenience. With a little over a month away until the the Exchange Network access is lost, I have yet to hear any news regarding any actions being taken by Tangerine on the subject. Has anyone else heard anything?

Are there any other promises made by Tangerine, that they have yet to deliver on?

djino

EDIT: Sent a message and received a reply back from the CEO.

[QUOTE]Peter Aceto: Thanks for reaching out. First, I’d like to thank you for keeping us accountable to our Promises. We know this issue impacts a great deal of our Clients, and we’ve assembled a team here that is focused on a finding a solution. We are currently working within the Quebec market and with industry partners to improve your access to cash and ability to deposit. I actually reviewed the business case personally with the team today and it’s not quite where I’d like it to be. Unfortunately this will not be a quick fix. I expect to see the next version of the business case within 6 weeks. Certainly for access to cash we are coaching clients to use "cashback" when you use your debit card at many stores including most grocery stores. One less errand to run and absolutely free. Get cash with your groceries. However, I will connect back with you and our many Quebec (and rural) clients with an update.[/QUOTE]
112 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada
As usual with PR, they are just hoping people will forget and move on
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
SnoopDop wrote: As usual with PR, they are just hoping people will forget and move on
Exactly, it's nothing but a smokescreen to calm down the flames of angry people. I really lost all respect I had for them when I saw them making such shallow, meaningless fluff videos. Things used to be different.

When free exchange access stop working there will be tons of very angry people and these tactics won't work anymore.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
SnoopDop wrote: As usual with PR, they are just hoping people will forget and move on
I wont. I'll spend time making a few calls/sending a few emails repeatedly on the subject, until an official response is given.

djino
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
^ What do you guys think Tangerine would do after you call/email them repeatedly? Scotia has moved Tangerine out of the Exchange network, get over it and move on. They are not going to rejoin Exchange network because [free banking] clients complain. There are other options available where you are, are they not?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
2029 posts
804 upvotes
Vancouver
ksgill wrote: ^ What do you guys think Tangerine would do after you call/email them repeatedly? Scotia has moved Tangerine out of the Exchange network, get over it and move on. They are not going to rejoin Exchange network because [free banking] clients complain. There are other options available where you are, are they not?
+1 come on people this is overblowing things a touch, folks have too much time on their hands it appears.
Jun 17, 2009
491 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Yea I'm pissed that they're exiting out of the Exchange Network completely too. But all is to be lost after Sept 28th....

Scotia "promised" to keep everything the same at first, but clearly they are consolidating Tangerine to their own network. It only makes sense for them to save money. They did buy ING Direct out to make it their own.

I'll still bank with them, but my ATM locations have drop down dramatically.
Personal Finance Blog
http://penniesatplay.blogspot.ca
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8012 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
Pretty happy that Scotia Bank is rolling out ATM in lots of Couche-Tard stores in Québec, it's the closest ATM to my house now...

I rarely use y Tangerine card at a ATM however... seldom use $ except for really small amounts.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
2029 posts
804 upvotes
Vancouver
Poutinesauce wrote: Having to drive 3-4 hours to find a Scotia ATM is not overblowing anything, this is flat out ridiculous.
Then close and move to another institution, there is no lack of choices out there, Scotia bought them oh well that's life, time to move on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote: Having to drive 3-4 hours to find a Scotia ATM is not overblowing anything, this is flat out ridiculous.
Close the account and open one at your local credit union/big bank. What's the problem? I am sure there are clients who had the problem of not having enough Exchange ATMs and I bet they are really happy with this decision.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1614 posts
104 upvotes
Montr
cashinstinct wrote: Pretty happy that Scotia Bank is rolling out ATM in lots of Couche-Tard stores in Québec, it's the closest ATM to my house now...
Are you sure it has one? The closest one to me doesn't have an ATM, doubt it will ever get one.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
I'm sure in an ideal world, a corporation would do everything to avoid pissing off even a single customer but we don't live in a fairy tale world. A [free] bank does not have unlimited resources and unfortunately has to cater to the majority. It's called a business decision.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
The thing is that in Quebec especially, their whole growth was based around the ubiquity of the National Bank, which is part of the Exchange Network. And this is going to vanish overnight. This will mean that for tons of customers, the only no-fees chequing account they have access to (PC Financial is not available here) will be rendered unusable. The only full-fledged Scotia ATMs are in Gatineau, Quebec City, and Montreal. Scotia sold all their branches in the other cities about 14 years ago. This means if you don't live in these areas, you're royally screwed.

And they have the gall to say they are "examining solutions" when they are doing exactly two things: jack and s... they are taking their customers for idiots, that's what they are doing. If you really think Scotia isn't progressively making dubious changes to increase profits that will ultimately sour the whole experience this is pure naivete.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1579 posts
1815 upvotes
Montreal
Well you can still find Scotiabank ATM in most, if not all, Couche Tard...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
ksgill wrote: ^ What do you guys think Tangerine would do after you call/email them repeatedly?
Make a satisfactory change obviously. Especially the more people that do so. Its possible.
ksgill wrote: Scotia has moved Tangerine out of the Exchange network, get over it and move on. They are not going to rejoin Exchange network because [free banking] clients complain.
ksgill, many people have made alternative suggestions to Tangerine.

- Quebec especially has a very little to no Scotiabank presents in terms of being able to make Deposits. There are plenty of Couchetard convenience stores with Scotiabank ATMs for withdrawal only. One of my suggestions was to begin changing many of these convenience store ATMs, into full service ATMs with deposits.
- Allow us to link more than the current 3 maximum of external accounts
- Allow location specific access to Exchange Network ATMs.

There were plenty of other suggestions by others, but those were ones above that I thought of. For not complaining at all, we can guaranty nothing will happen. If many of us can bug Tangerine about it, then there is the possibility of something happening right? So I see nothing wrong with calling them/emailing them as I plan to do.

djino
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
gwplant wrote: +1 come on people this is overblowing things a touch, folks have too much time on their hands it appears.
Its my time to waste. Just as it is yours in replying to this thread.

djino
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
pchi wrote: Yea I'm pissed that they're exiting out of the Exchange Network completely too. But all is to be lost after Sept 28th....

Scotia "promised" to keep everything the same at first, but clearly they are consolidating Tangerine to their own network. It only makes sense for them to save money. They did buy ING Direct out to make it their own.

I'll still bank with them, but my ATM locations have drop down dramatically.
Exactly.

I still want to give them the chance to make things right. Scotia just didn't buy Tangerine in order for it to fail/lose money. Which means, I'm sure they would be willing to do something to keep the same level of convenience for many of their clients who may no longer be that close to ATMs.

djino
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
djino wrote: Make a satisfactory change obviously. Especially the more people that do so. Its possible.

ksgill, many people have made alternative suggestions to Tangerine.

- Quebec especially has a very little to no Scotiabank presents in terms of being able to make Deposits. There are plenty of Couchetard convenience stores with Scotiabank ATMs for withdrawal only. One of my suggestions was to begin changing many of these convenience store ATMs, into full service ATMs with deposits.
- Allow us to link more than the current 3 maximum of external accounts
- Allow location specific access to Exchange Network ATMs.

There were plenty of other suggestions by others, but those were ones above that I thought of. Not complaining at all, we can guaranty nothing will happen. If many of us can bug Tangerine about it, then there is the possibility of something happening right? So I see nothing wrong with calling them/emailing them as I plan to do.

djino
You have the right to complain but I doubt anything will change. What's the other major bank/credit union where you are? Clearly I am quite ignorant about the banking options available in Quebec.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)